Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, it should appear if the monitor supports it. My AOC AG273QCX supports HDR, but my Asus Designo 4K does not.
View attachment 462317

Mine does not show it, nor does it have a Refresh Rate option.

I would have assumed that monitor would support it given that Apple themselves sell it on their site, but I don't really have any way to check and I haven't been able to find out on Google.

Hello @CaseySJ,

thanks a lot for replying;
  • I'm using the rear IO green jack output for the speakers and the front panel for the headphones; both have the same problem.
  • Do you mean Devices --> Properties in Clover? I don't have any value in Properties
  • In System Preferences --> Sound, the Output selected is Internal Speakers (Headphones when the headphones are connected)
If you follow the Catalina Mini-Guide, then Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties will have some entries in it.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 1.16.04 PM.png

Hi,

I'm a bit lost. I switched from iMacPro to IMac19,1 because of the use of SideCar; and I don't use Final Cut Pro for heavy work. For me the new WEG did not work with IMacPro profile. I have a Vega 56.
All is stable and running fast as before; SideCar is working great again. But.. I lost my HEVC and X265 hardware encoding.

I use latest OpenCore, all kext updated, IGPU disabled in BIOS.
ATV is working, but not Netflix in Safari (have to check that also..).
Attached my config.plist of OpenCore NDK 0.5.7.

I tried with and without PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) in config.plist

Hope somebody can help me!
Please do the following:
  • BIOS Setup --> Internal Graphics --> Enabled
  • Then add the following entries to OpenCore config.plist:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 1.21.51 PM.png
  • Reboot.

Mine does not show it, nor does it have a Refresh Rate option.

I would have assumed that monitor would support it given that Apple themselves sell it on their site, but I don't really have any way to check and I haven't been able to find out on Google.
The LG UltraFine 5K does not support HDR.

If you follow the Catalina Mini-Guide, then Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties will have some entries in it.
View attachment 462435
Hi @CaseySJ,

yes, I have layout ID value 11 there; the config.plist is taken from your "Fresh Install" zip file:
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 22.25.18.png

Another thing: after a while the computer runs (couple of hours) the sound gets better: no crackling and no drops.
Any idea?

Thanks!

Hi @CaseySJ,

yes, I have layout ID value 11 there; the config.plist is taken from your "Fresh Install" zip file:
View attachment 462438

Another thing: after a while the computer runs (couple of hours) the sound gets better: no crackling and no drops.
Any idea?

Thanks!
  • Are you using wired speakers/headphones or wireless?
  • When the sound is choppy is the CPU heavily loaded with other tasks?
    • Check "Activity Monitor" graphs to see if CPU is lightly or heavily loaded.
  • Is the sound choppy through other sound output devices such as:
    • Speaker built into the monitor (if your monitor has built-in speakers)?
    • USB sound device if you have one.
    • AirPods or other wireless headphones/speakers.

First off just wanna say shout out to @CaseySJ for such an incredible thread and numerous extremely detailed and well documented guides here. I started building Hackintoshs nearly ten years ago at this point and this is some of the best guides I have ever used before.

I listed my components and build out below. I used the 10.15.4 mini guide which worked like an absolute charm including flashing my MSR 0xE2 to 0x0. I also updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version (F9b) as well as updated to the latest firmware on both the 970 and 860 SSDs. All my BIOS setting are identical to those outlined in post #1.

When I am in macOS everything (other than the Fenvi WiFi card) works beautifully! My Geekbench tests are fantastic and I couldn't be happier. Literally everything (save that WiFi card) works perfectly.

With all that said, when my system sleeps or is shutdown I have a weird issue when I go to turn it back on. I get one of a few different outcomes all of which are very similar and extremely frustrating. I will list them from most frequent to least frequent in occurance:

Option 1: Press the power button. System powers on, and immediately turns back off. After a few seconds it powers back on (on it's own) and if I am lucky proceeds to boot like normal.
Option 2: Press the power button. System powers on, and immediately turns off. That's it. When this happens I can sometimes press the power button again and either Option 1 occurs and then I boot, or I get stuck in a loop of Option 2. I can go through this cycle half a dozen times sometimes and get nowhere.
Option 3: After some combination of Option 1 and Option 2 occuring any number of times the system will then boot to the Boot Failure Detected screen and/or my BIOS settings will be reset. When this happens I have to restore my BIOS profile, and re-unlock the MSR 0xE2 and it boots up like normal (so long as I don't power off) and then next time I sleep or shutdown we start the whole process over again.

The issue itself is extremely frustrating and is made even more frustrating by the fact I had almost this exact same issue on a previous Hackintosh build years ago using a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board and an Intel i5 and I never was able to really track it down.

I've searched around online, on this forums as well as other Hackintosh forums, and in this thread and so far my GoogleFu has proved rather fruitless.

If anyone has any suggestions at all I am all ears because this is literally the only hurdle for me to get past to have my otherwise incredible dual boot high-end desktop PC dream build.

Thanks and again big thank you to OP because this thread and guides are incredible.

Code:
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
Intel Core i9-9900K
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
XFX RX 5700 Xt Thicc III Ultra 8GB 2025MHz
CORSAIR RMX Series, RM850x 850 Watt 80+ Gold
Noctua NH-D15 chromax Dual-Tower CPU Cooler
2x Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB for boot volumes (1x for Windows, 1x for Mac)(these will be replaced with 2x CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD when they finally ship off backorder)
2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD for backup volumes (using Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac and Macrium Reflect for Windows)
Fenvi T919 (will be replaced with Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac WiFi & BT 4.0 + PCIe adapter when they arrive, I am having problems with the Fenvi cycling power to WiFi constantly in macOS)
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Mid Tower Computer Case
RGEEK 9pin USB Header Male 1 to 2 Female Extension Cable Card (to allow use of both BT adapter and front panel USB 2.0 ports)

• Are you using wired speakers/headphones or wireless?
  • When the sound is choppy is the CPU heavily loaded with other tasks?
    • Check "Activity Monitor" graphs to see if CPU is lightly or heavily loaded.
  • Is the sound choppy through other sound output devices such as:
    • Speaker built into the monitor (if your monitor has built-in speakers)?
    • USB sound device if you have one.
    • AirPods or other wireless headphones/speakers.

I'm using wired speakers and headphones
CPU is not heavily loaded; I'm usually code with Visual Studio Code and listen some music or podcast in the background.
Sometimes I use bluetooth headphones, but as I mentioned before I experience the problem when the computer restarts for some hours, then it gets better, so I'm not sure whether this happened also with the bluetooth headset.

Hello @CaseySJ,
Congratulations on your work, it's incredible ...
My 2012 hackintosh has just crashed ( ga-z77x-ud5h...) and I'm looking for a new daw config, no need graphics gpu.
Your build seems to suit me and I just wanted to have some info concerning my old elements:

- Are my bequiet 600w straight power E7, my cooler hyper 212 evo and my TP-link tlwdn4800 (Wi-Fi) ok for the Z390 designare / i7-9700K?
- I have two screens, a samsung in HDMI and an old Sony in DVI, needs adapter for DVI> DP in?

Last but not least, I have my system in Mojave 10.14.3 (under the configuration ga-z77x-ud5h) and I would like to keep this one, so I have to update directly in Catalina?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Jeremy

@notthefirstryan,

Although this sounds entirely like a hardware/firmware issue (because we don't even get to the Clover Boot Menu), before we draw that conclusion, it's good to check the 4 mini LEDs and isolate components:
  • 4 mini-LEDs are located at the bottom right corner of the motherboard. When there's a boot failure, one or more red LEDs will remain lit. Do all 4 LEDs turn off?
  • Remove Fenvi FV-T919
  • Remove XFX RX 5700 XT
  • Connect monitor to one of the 3 video ports on the rear IO panel:
    • Thunderbolt Port 1 -- connect via USB-C to DisplayPort cable
    • Thunderbolt Port 2 -- connect via USB-C to DisplayPort cable
    • HDMI (to enable this port in macOS, please see this guide)
  • Does this solve the problems described under Options 1, 2 and 3?
  • If problem persists, remove the Windows NVMe SSD and try again.
  • If problem persists, downgrade to firmware F8, configure BIOS settings, and re-unlock MSR 0xE2.
  • Does the problem persist?

Back