Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello Everyone,
I am wanting to enable my machine for Thunderbolt devices, specifically UAD Apollo 6x or an Apollo Twin and want to understand if the *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Gigabyte Designare Z390 *** is the only process I need to follow. If so, it is also mentioned if If "System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you." , does this mean I need to follow a different process?

There are several posts around this topic, and I thought I would see what would be the most appropriate place to start. I just performed a brand new install of Catalina in this thread, so I am just getting my machine going at this point.

Thanks for the help!

@CaseySJ I would like to let you know that I successfully updated Clover from r5108 (on Catalina 10.15.4SU) to Clover r5112. I also updated the Clover.app. See my steps below the image.

View attachment 462281

1. Loaded EFI with Clover Configurator
2. Changed personal theme to Embedded (Clover's default) theme
3. Made a back-up of that EFI and placed it on an external USB drive (just to make sure I could access it if something went wrong)
4. Updated Clover.app using Clover.app_v1.18.pkg
5. Updated Clover using Clover_r5112.pkg
6. Rebooted and success.
Question on this process, did you use the default options in the install wizard to load Clover?

Hello Everyone,
I am wanting to enable my machine for Thunderbolt devices, specifically UAD Apollo 6x or an Apollo Twin and want to understand if the *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Gigabyte Designare Z390 *** is the only process I need to follow. If so, it is also mentioned if If "System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you." , does this mean I need to follow a different process?

There are several posts around this topic, and I thought I would see what would be the most appropriate place to start. I just performed a brand new install of Catalina in this thread, so I am just getting my machine going at this point.

Thanks for the help!

You don't have to do any firmware programming to use TB UAD stuff. 'No drivers are loaded' is fine, I don't see any drivers and last time I tried UAD TB stuff worked, at least when connected before boot.
Firmware programming is for people who want TB networking, eGPU's and more esoteric stuff.

I just have SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 in Clover\ACPI\Patched and that does all I(and probably you) need

It very well might be. It also could be that once I enable the iGPU I'll see the progress bar. My theory (complete supposition) is, the iGPU has something to do with rendering the screen prior to the dGPU drivers being loaded.

Right now I run a DP out to a 55" 4K screen. If I load up OCQuarks for APTIO the screen simply goes blank from Clover selection until the final moments of the Logo+Progress bar. Everything else seems to work great after that. I'll have to enable the iGPU and see if running in Headless fixes this disappearing Progress bar for whatever reason.

Like I said; mine worked in headless mode, does even work in active state via HDMI. Though, the only reason I'm using iMac 19,1 SMBIOS is that this particular model still has no T2 security chip. You should just copy @CaseySJ 's config for iGPU and let it rip. Or I can give you my SSDTs, if you like.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the help!
You don't have to do any firmware programming to use TB UAD stuff. 'No drivers are loaded' is fine, I don't see any drivers and last time I tried UAD TB stuff worked, at least when connected before boot.
Firmware programming is for people who want TB networking, eGPU's and more esoteric stuff.

I just have SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 in Clover\ACPI\Patched and that does all I(and probably you) need
Correct -- UAD devices are among the most compatible. We do not need to activate Thunderbolt Bus. Instead, by simply following the build guide and nothing more, Thunderbolt will work with nearly all UAD devices. It may be necessary to install latest firmware on the UAD device and the latest drivers in macOS.

@CaseySJ I would like to let you know that I successfully updated Clover from r5108 (on Catalina 10.15.4SU) to Clover r5112. I also updated the Clover.app. See my steps below the image.

View attachment 462281

1. Loaded EFI with Clover Configurator
2. Changed personal theme to Embedded (Clover's default) theme
3. Made a back-up of that EFI and placed it on an external USB drive (just to make sure I could access it if something went wrong)
4. Updated Clover.app using Clover.app_v1.18.pkg
5. Updated Clover using Clover_r5112.pkg
6. Rebooted and success.
Cool!
  • Do you see any strange text messages on the BIOS splash screen?
  • Do the themes look better than before? The Embedded theme, for example, has been around for quite a while. Does it look exactly the same as before?
I believe we can press F10 at the Clover Boot Menu to save a screenshot into the EFI partition of the boot disk. This avoids having to take a camera photo.

Does anyone get HDR display option on 10.15.4? I don't know if the LG UltraFine 5K even supports it to begin with.

Question on this process, did you use the default options in the install wizard to load Clover?

I used the 'Upgrade' versions, just by clicking Optimize and then I installed.

Cool!
  • Do you see any strange text messages on the BIOS splash screen?
  • Do the themes look better than before? The Embedded theme, for example, has been around for quite a while. Does it look exactly the same as before?
I believe we can press F10 at the Clover Boot Menu to save a screenshot into the EFI partition of the boot disk. This avoids having to take a camera photo.

1. I don't see strange texts during the boot process (I'm not booting Verbose, but I can if you want that information)
2. The theme looks fine to me. Please see attached Screenshots.

Attachments

• EFIscreenshots.zip
    38.5 KB · Views: 65
Does anyone get HDR display option on 10.15.4? I don't know if the LG UltraFine 5K even supports it to begin with.
Yes, it should appear if the monitor supports it. My AOC AG273QCX supports HDR, but my Asus Designo 4K does not.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.20.37 AM.png

Back