Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CODYQX4 could you share the latest lilu and weg you compiled? I do like to test them but I cant compile them myself. AFAIK they both have been updated a few days ago.

thank you

You can give these a try. I included a prerelease Lilu too.

Just note that I can't vouch for these even booting, as I compiled them remotely and haven't gotten to see if they work at all or have new bugs. All I know is Hackintool built them successfully.

Attachments

• WEG136-PRERELEASE.zip
    252.3 KB · Views: 65
@CaseySJ I finished the fresh Catalina install but again with workarounds. The Mini Guide and the provided files did not work in the first step for me, even though it was a stripped down and "fresh" system without PCI cards, etc. The only thing I can imagine now, since there is people having no problems with the exact same setup is PCI-Lanes and HDDs used, Processor and RAM. Nothing else left IMO. In this thread there is very detailed and well documented work thus there shouldnt be different outcomes or install hang ups when exactly on the same hardware. Might be useful further describe hardware config?

Hello all,

Is there anything specific i need to do to get Thunderbolt 3 working? I didn't find anything in the guide apart from the BIOS setup. I am Running F8 BIOS and have everything configured for F8 as per the guide.

The way i am trying to test if this works is I have a usb-c to usb adapter to which i've plugged in a USB drive. The issue is i am not able to see the drive in OSX. However if i plug in a bootable drive i can see it as a boot option in the clover menu that starts.

Is this sort of setup even supported on the thunderbolt 3 port?

I am attaching the config.plist if its helpful.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 66
@CaseySJ I finished the fresh Catalina install but again with workarounds. The Mini Guide and the provided files did not work in the first step for me, even though it was a stripped down and "fresh" system without PCI cards, etc. The only thing I can imagine now, since there is people having no problems with the exact same setup is PCI-Lanes and HDDs used, Processor and RAM. Nothing else left IMO. In this thread there is very detailed and well documented work thus there shouldnt be different outcomes or install hang ups when exactly on the same hardware. Might be useful further describe hardware config?
Can you describe the 'workarounds' that allowed the Catalina installer to start up?

Hello all,

Is there anything specific i need to do to get Thunderbolt 3 working? I didn't find anything in the guide apart from the BIOS setup. I am Running F8 BIOS and have everything configured for F8 as per the guide.

The way i am trying to test if this works is I have a usb-c to usb adapter to which i've plugged in a USB drive. The issue is i am not able to see the drive in OSX. However if i plug in a bootable drive i can see it as a boot option in the clover menu that starts.

Is this sort of setup even supported on the thunderbolt 3 port?

I am attaching the config.plist if its helpful.
We have disabled USB 2.0 on the Thunderbolt ports in macOS. So if your USB drive is USB 2.0 or if the adapter is a USB 2.0 to USB-C adapter, then the drive will not connect.

Can you please provide links to the (a) USB drive and (b) adapter or the make/model numbers?

Ok so i shorted the cmos. Wiped clean. Reset all the parameters in bios. Still no good. Stuck at end
Randomseed.
I tried removing the video card and using the onboard (was able to boot and see everything, but no better)

Should i try removing one of the memory sticks. —edit: tried this. Didnt have any effect.
Some other suggestions:
  • Replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in CLOVER/drivers64UEFIwith:
    • OcQuirks-4.efi
    • FwRuntimeServices.efi
Reboot and try installing again. If this also fails to boot, then:
  • Update Clover on the USB install disk as follows:
    • Instructions are in the Catalina Mini-Guide. Click here.
    • Only follow the 4th Top-Level Bullet under Step 1. Do not follow any other parts of that guide.
  • Download Catalina Fresh Install.zipfrom the same Catalina Mini Guide into your Downloads folder on the Mac (not on the USB disk).
    • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFIfolder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
      • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
      • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
      • Copy all .efi files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
  • Delete the existing CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
Reboot and try again...

UPDATE: Also try re-creating the USB install disk using a good name-brand USB flash drive between 8GB and no larger than 32GB. Preferably USB 3.0. At this point we can't rule out the possibility that the macOS installer image may be corrupt.

Last edited:
We have disabled USB 2.0 on the Thunderbolt ports in macOS. So if your USB drive is USB 2.0 or if the adapter is a USB 2.0 to USB-C adapter, then the drive will not connect.

Can you please provide links to the (a) USB drive and (b) adapter or the make/model numbers?

Hello Casey,

I didn't realise that was the case. The adapter was a 3.1 adapter, the USB however was definitely USB 2.0. I tested with an USB 3.0 external drive and i can see it and working just great!

Usb c to USB adapter - This works with the USB 3 Device.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GGKYYT0/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Thanks for the quick reply and the support!

** General Comment about the Catalina Mini-Guide **

Based on reports of Clover being unable to auto-boot macOS, it seems we might need to Install rc scripts after all. If you have followed the Catalina Mini-Guide please let me know:
  • Can Clover select and boot your Catalina SSD automatically?
  • If so, did you have to modify the config.plist provided in the Catalina Mini-Guide?

Hello Casey,

I didn't realise that was the case. The adapter was a 3.1 adapter, the USB however was definitely USB 2.0. I tested with an USB 3.0 external drive and i can see it and working just great!

Usb c to USB adapter - This works with the USB 3 Device.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GGKYYT0/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Thanks for the quick reply and the support!
Glad to hear it. The USB limitations are mentioned in the main build guide. The Catalina Mini-Guide is called mini for a reason! :)

Some other suggestions:
  • Replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in CLOVER/drivers64UEFIwith:
    • OcQuirks-4.efi
    • FwRuntimeServices.efi
Reboot and try installing again. If this also fails to boot, then:
  • Update Clover on the USB install disk as follows:
    • Instructions are in the Catalina Mini-Guide. Click here.
    • Only follow the 4th Top-Level Bullet under Step 1. Do not follow any other parts of that guide.
  • Download Catalina Fresh Install.zipfrom the same Catalina Mini Guide into your Downloads folder on the Mac (not on the USB disk).
    • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFIfolder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
      • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
      • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
      • Copy all .efi files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
  • Delete the existing CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
Reboot and try again...

UPDATE: Also try re-creating the USB install disk using a good name-brand USB flash drive between 8GB and no larger than 32GB. Preferably USB 3.0. At this point we can't rule out the possibility that the macOS installer image may be corrupt.

I found the git repository for OcQuirks, but im not sure how to build it. Can't seem to find a downloadable .efi file anywhere either. Someplace in particular i can find this? Thanks!

Back