Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I wanted to give the fresh Catalina Install another chance since I got it running via the upgrade path the other day. Meanwhile I tried everything to get it up and running from the mini guide but I am repeatedly stuck with the gioscreenlockstate 3 when running the clover bootloader for the first time to get into the catalina installer. I stick 100% to your guide and have a totally stripped down system. So F8 Bios with all settings accordingly and the files you provide in the attachement to the mini guide post. Possible Hardware difference is 9700K vs 9900K and my Samsung M2. I got an EVO 970 Plus (with latest Firmware) and an ) 970 EVO (tried both). HDMI is running from rear IO into 32" BenQ.

When I switch to the very basic config.plist from your initial Mojave install guide its running fine and I can boot into the installer. I then use FAKE SMC and the 2000free version with the catalina USB Installer...

Not sure whether i can complete the install but at least I can boot into the installer :) System was installed after approx 15min in total. Catalina up and running with iGPU. Now I need to take care of post install and the GPU.
Lets elaborate
There might be something important I need to address in the Catalina Mini-Guide so let me ask some very specific questions:
  1. With the config-Internal-GPU.plist file in the Catalina Mini-Guide, the Catalina installer was not able to start up fully? It got hung up shortly after gIOScreenLockState?
  2. With the config.plist created by UniBeast and subsequently modified by following the various spoilers in Post #1, the Catalina installer was successfully able to start?
If the answers to both questions are YES, then can I ask you to try the following experiment:
  • Open the config.plist you created from the Catalina Mini-Guide (not from Mojave) and just make one change:
    • Clover Configurator --> Graphics --> Inject Intel --> check this ON.
  • Then save the config.plist into CLOVER folder of Catalina USB install disk (in the EFI partition).
    • Boot from the USB install disk.
    • Does the Catalina installer start up fully?
    • Don't worry, the installer will not make any changes to your installed system.
    • If the installer starts up, just go to Apple menu and click Restart.

Hello,

I'm very happy to join this thread : it's the first time I build a hackintosh and (I think that) everything worked fine thanks to your posts ! But I have some (beginner) questions ; please forgive me if answers are in one of the 1097 pages, I didn't found them and not sure how to find the most up-to-date answers...

I bought a Z390 Designare, i9900K and a graphics card ASUS DUAL-RX580 8Go. I installed Catalina without any problem and it works great. iCloud is syncing, I get access to my photos, Messages, address book, emails, calendars... :) Every USB port and Ethernet are working out of the box. Yeah ! I did not tested yet the audio output but many outputs&inputs are listed in the system report. I didn't tested the Thunderbolt or other connectors yet.
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!
I couldn't use MultiBeast as described for Mojave installation because it seems to exist only for preceding OS and not for Catalina. Right ?
Correct. The Catalina Mini-Guide does not use MultiBeast. Both UniBeast and MultiBeast are being updated for Catalina and not yet available.
Now that Catalina is installed and is booting fine using Clover, in verbose mode, how can I change the clover configuration to boot in non-verbose mode (except if I should avoid it - what do you advise ?).
This is actually mentioned in the Mini-Guide:
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.07.37 AM.png
Also, is there a way to configure Clover to boot MacOs automatically after 2 seconds ?
You're the second person to ask this so now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the config.plist provided in the Catalina Mini-Guide. Will check it later this evening. Meanwhile, does this work (in Clover Configurator --> Boot)?
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.10.40 AM.png

I can't find if there is a way to get onboard WIFI & Bluetooth working... Is there ?
The on-board Intel CNVi module is not usable in macOS, but it will work under Windows. We recommend the Fenvi FV-T919 or Fenvi FV-HB1200.
The TRIM function is not enabled on my SSD (SATA Express). Should I and how ?
If you manually added the TRIM patch to Kernel and Kext Patches remember to uncheck the Disabled checkbox next to it in Clover Configurator.
Oh and I have a Wacom Bamboo. Is there some risks to plug it in and see if it is recognized, exactly like I do on my (real) MacBook Pro ?
Before you do anything more: MAKE A FULL BOOTABLE BACKUP. Someone just installed the Wacom drivers and the system would not boot again. He had to replace OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. So make a full backup NOW. This applies to everyone.

The config.plist that you posted is from the first phase of installation with the iGPU. As mentioned in the mini-guide, we need to replace this config.plist with a different one before installing the RX 5700 XT. Please have another look at Steps 4 and 5. If you have any questions about those steps, just let me know.

Please check which version of Clover Configurator you are using. We should use the latest one, which is 5.8.0.0. The two plist files in the Catalina mini-guide should perform a 3-second countdown. It's probably best to come back to this problem later. We should get the RX 5700 XT working first!

Male. :) Thanks!

Yes, the MSI RX 580 is a great card. Let's hope we can get the RX 5700 XT up and running. Please note that the two plist files in the mini-guide should not be modified in any way except for SMBIOS and RtVariables as indicated.

Once your system is up and running, only then should you consider making any kind of change to those files. And changes should only be made with Clover Configurator 5.8.0.0.
CaseySJ, you are the man. I am up and running with 5700 XT. It has been a crazy and informative process. I wanted to thank you for all the amazing help. I was about to give up. I am so glad I did not. This is the first build I've done since Apple stated using Intel that seems to be 100%. Again..THANK YOU!

Greetings, first, @CaseySJ, thank you for your incredible work on this project. The documentation is phenomenal!

This is my first time attempting a hackintosh. I've had all manners of Apple products over the years but their new "pro" offering is going to be a little out of my budget range for what I consider a NOT top of the line piece of hardware.

I need to install Mojave (since my software doesn't support Catalina at the moment).
Got the following:
  • 390 Designare (wanted the thunderbolt connections)
  • Intel i9-9900K
  • Samsung 970 1TB M.2 drive
  • 2 Samsung 860 1TB (each) SSD (SATA)
  • 2 sticks of Vengence (32GB each)
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 580
  • The Fenvi BT/Wireless card (installed in the bottom slot furthest from graphics card).
  • EVGA Water cooling for the CPU
I ran through your install document, and I'm 99% sure I did everything properly. I was able to get Clover to boot. However when I try to run the Mojave installer im getting stuck with the end randomseed ++++++++++++ problem i've read about.

I moved my RAM around (different configs, the 2 sticks are now sitting in A1 and B1).
I've tried booting from EVERY USB port on the back of the case.
I was going to replace the OSXAptiofix free file that was included at the bottom of the instructions with the old one, but I didn't since it doesn't seem like anyone's gotten that to work.

I'm kind of at a loss here and not sure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached the config.plist file from my EFI partition on my boot stick in case that will help. Thanks again!

EDIT: added my clover folder

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 69
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hello @luvlastcall

Your CLOVER folder is good -- I don't see any problem there. So please remind me again:
  • Are you installing Mojave or Catalina?
  • Is your monitoring connected to the RX 580?
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • When you boot from the USB install disk (F12 at BIOS splash screen) and then try to boot into macOS from the Clover Boot Menu, do you immediately get the Couldn't allocate runtime area error?
  • You are already using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, which is recommended when all other drivers fail. So for now, I wouldn't worry about that. Later we can switch you to OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices. But first we need to make sure your system can boot up.

1.Installed Mojave First and than updated to Catalina.
2. Monitor is connected to RX 580 its was working fine but suddenly stopped working.
3. I am Using HDMI Port
4. I am Using TCL 50G500 LED TV
5. When I am trying to boot through USB Install disk after pressing f12 on Bios screen And Choose the Hard drive i suddenly get and error message

" Freeing Low memory (Up to 0x20000000)....
Result = 0
OsxAptioFixDrv : Starting overrides for \ system\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
Error Loading Kernel Cache ()xe)
Boot Failed ; will sleep for 10 seconds before exiting

This is what is happening when i am trying to boot through Installer USB.

Please see what can be done in this sir

Thanks

CaseySJ you are the man. I am up and running with 5700XT. It has been a crazy and informative process. I wanted to thank you for all the amazing help. I was about to give up. I am so glad I did not. This is the first build I've done since apple stated using Intel that seems to be 100%. Again..THANK YOU!
Awesome! Good job.

Greetings, first, @CaseySJ, thank you for your incredible work on this project. The documentation is phenomenal!

This is my first time attempting a hackintosh, i've had all manners of apple products over the years but their new "pro" offering is going to be a little out of my budget range for what I consider a NOT top of the line piece of hardware.

I need to install Mojave (since my software doesn't support catalina at the moment).
Got the following:
  • 390 Designare (wanted the thunderbolt connections)
  • Intel i9 9900K
  • Samsung 970 1TB m.2 drive
  • 2 samsung 860 1TB (each) SSD (sata)
  • 2 sticks of Vengence (32GB each)
  • Sapphire Pulse RX580
  • The Fenvi BT/Wireless card (installed in the bottom slot furthest from graphics card).
  • EVG Water cooling for the CPU
I ran through your install document, and I'm 99% sure i did everything properly. I was able to get Clover to boot. However when I try to run the mojave installer im getting stuck with the end randomseed ++++++++++++ problem i've read about.

I moved my ram around (different configs, the 2 sticks are now sitting in a1 and b1).
I've tried booting from EVERY USB port on the back of the case.
I was going to replace the OSXAptiofix free file that was included at the bottom of the instructions with the old one but didn't since it doesnt seem like anyone's gotten that to work.

Kind of at a loss here and not sure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached the config.plist file from my EFI partition on my boot stick in case that will help. Thanks again!
Hello @SR1200

Welcome to the forum!

The end randomseed++++ problem is usually due to an incompatible memory driver or the presence of more than one memory driver. Please post a screenshot of the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder in the EFI partition of the USB install disk. If you're using Clover 5xxx, the folder will instead be CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

I got my system up and running using the Mini guide and everything seems to work (running Radeon VII in headless mode for QuickSync) except for good sleep. The computer keeps waking up on its own during the night, then going to sleep and waking up again and so on. Wake on LAN, Proximitywake and PowerNap is disabled, darkwake=0. If I look for wake reasons in logs, I get a lot of "Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)" during the night. Testing it during the day, doesn't work, since the system sleeps just fine and can't wait several hours to see when it starts the wake-sleep-wake cycle.

I didn't install RC scripts as per mini guide, but maybe I should have?

Hello @SR1200

Welcome to the forum!

The end randomseed++++ problem is usually due to an incompatible memory driver or the presence of more than one memory driver. Please post a screenshot of the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder in the EFI partition of the USB install disk. If you're using Clover 5xxx, the folder will instead be CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

I've attached my Clover folder to my original post, and, as requested, a screen shot of the drivers folder. I'm on a PC at the office, but I have access to a Mac if I need to get anything off the boot stick which I brought with me today :)

Again, much thanks!

Edit: I just noticed that second ._osxaptiofix2drv file. I didn't see that when I had the stick loaded in my Mac at home. Weird.

Attachments

• efi_folder.jpg
    efi_folder.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 79
1.Installed Mojave First and than updated to Catalina.
2. Monitor is connected to RX 580 its was working fine but suddenly stopped working.
3. I am Using HDMI Port
4. I am Using TCL 50G500 LED TV
5. When I am trying to boot through USB Install disk after pressing f12 on Bios screen And Choose the Hard drive i suddenly get and error message

" Freeing Low memory (Up to 0x20000000)....
Result = 0
OsxAptioFixDrv : Starting overrides for \ system\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
Error Loading Kernel Cache ()xe)
Boot Failed ; will sleep for 10 seconds before exiting

This is what is happening when i am trying to boot through Installer USB.

Please see what can be done in this sir

Thanks
Thanks for the detailed answers. Some more questions:
  • Are you able to boot directly from the Catalina SSD?
    • If not, what error do you see if you boot with -v (verbose) turned on?
  • Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS and re-configuring BIOS parameters?
  • If you remove the USB disk and boot normally, but choose Recovery at the Clover Boot Menu, do you still get the same error, "Error loading kernel cache"?
Some "Plan B" questions:
  • Before upgrading to Catalina, for how long were you running Mojave? Days, weeks, months?
  • Do you have many apps and documents on the internal SSD?

Back