Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@MullisMan,

Let's address the issues you raised above.

Problem with 2 HDMI Connections
If your Asus 24" monitor has multiple inputs, try connecting two inputs to that monitor (and disconnect the flatscreen TV). It will be necessary to use controls on the Asus to switch between the two inputs. Do you still experience the same black screen problem with this setup?

USB Latency
Please search this thread for keyword latency. Here are some hits (though some may pertain to Thunderbolt):

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 4.23.26 AM.png

Processor Name
It's okay if the CPU is shown as an i9-9700K even though there's no such thing.

That's strange because before I did the most recent update, the type c port was working. I have a USB hub I was using.
Let's start by double-checking the installation. Can you provide the following:
  • Screenshot of CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder from EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...

My sleep seems to have broke after a reinstall (with the latest supplemental). Anyone else?
Please clarify as follows:
  • When system is left idle, does it fail to enter sleep?
  • When sleep is triggered manually from the Apple menu, does it fail to enter sleep?
  • Does it enter sleep, but suddenly wake?
  • Does it fail to wake from sleep?

Please clarify as follows:
  • When system is left idle, does it fail to enter sleep?
  • When sleep is triggered manually from the Apple menu, does it fail to enter sleep?
  • Does it enter sleep, but suddenly wake?
  • Does it fail to wake from sleep?
Hi Casey,
I haven’t tested the time based sleep where it sleeps after idle

When I manually enter sleep, the monitor goes dark, HDD activity light blinks, fans spin up for a brief second or two, and then the machine goes off. (LED’s on my fans go dark, fans stop spinning, etc). Then a brief couple of seconds later, the machine wakes up, but monitor is dark unless I click a key or mouse.

Hi Casey,
I haven’t tested the time based sleep where it sleeps after idle

When I manually enter sleep, the monitor goes dark, HDD activity light blinks, fans spin up for a brief second or two, and then the machine goes off. (LED’s on my fans go dark, fans stop spinning, etc). Then a brief couple of seconds later, the machine wakes up, but monitor is dark unless I click a key or mouse.
Here are some suggestions:
  • Delete the com.apple.PowerManagement preference files as described in the section Fixing Sleep and Wake Issues (Post #1).
  • In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, enable Put hard disks to sleep when possible, but disable Wake for Network Access and also disable Enable Power Nap...
  • Reboot.
  • Are you using a Corsair power supply or Corsair liquid cooler that is connected via USB to the internal F_USB header? These devices will cause sudden wake.
  • If the problem persists:
    • Select Apple Menu --> Sleep.
    • Wait until system wakes up by itself.
    • Open Terminal and type pmset -g log | tail -150 > ~/Documents/sleeplog.txt
    • This will create a file called sleeplog.txt in the Documents folder. Please upload that file.

I completed a successful build of @CaseySJ 's Hackintosh with the Z390 Designare MOBO, Radeon Pulse RX580 GPU, core i7-9700K CPU, 32GB (2x16GB) of crucial ballistix sport LT 2400 RAM, a Samsung 970 PRO 512 system drive, and a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO storage drive. I've had a few things to work out but almost everything runs perfectly (as far as I've been able to run it through some tests), but I have a few questions:

***1. When I restart my machine I never even get to the BIOS screen if I have 2 monitors connected to my GPU. I use a Vizio 40" 4K tv for my secondary monitor and an ASUS 23.6" monitor. As soon as I unplug one of the HDMI cables from the GPU and restart, voila. BIOS, normal startup etc. I can then plug in the second monitor or TV and the secondary screen is recognized. I thought with the Radeon Pulse RX580 being natively recognized I wouldn't have any issues there.

***2. I have noticed that in Logic Pro X 10.4.1 when recording live instruments like guitar through my Apogee Quartet interface (USB), I am getting some very noticeable latency at 64 samples buffer size. I have tried it with a second USB interface and I get the same result. I've observed it on a large project where I have many tracks (>40) with plugins, synth software instruments, software drums, etc. I have also observed it when starting a new empty project and having only the single live instrument track. Sometimes, I even hear some very harsh distortion when monitoring the guitar; sounds like a bitcrusher with octaves. If I move up to 128 sample buffer, the harsh distortion goes away, but I still have the noticeable latency.

Now, getting some noticeable latency when running lots and lots of tracks with plugins and software instruments while trying to monitor a live guitar input at 64 sample buffer size might sound like the exact thing one would expect, and I would agree except that my previous hackintosh that I retired for this build (GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 LGA 1150, Intel Core i7-4790K CPU, EVGA GTX 970, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz DDR3, and SSD drive) could run that with no latency, and nary a pop/click during playback. I know that because I saved the projects I'm experiencing it on with that hackintosh, and opened them again on this new one. The older hack ran everything flawlessly.

It’s also strange that even with the single audio track I’m still getting latency at the 64 sample buffer size, sometimes with the awful distorted sound which necessitates changing the buffer size or restarting Core Audio. Even at 128 sample buffer, if I add even 4 (low latency compressor/EQ) plugins to the track I start to hear the latency creep back in, like a slapback echo.

Any other audio producers had this issue with their hack build? Is using a USB audio interface an issue? I’ve tried multiple USB ports on the Designare to see if that was a problem but it’s the same everywhere. Was I spoiled and didn't realize it? This machine seems like it should be much much more capable of handling these tasks.

***3. When I followed the guide and configured my system definition to iMac 19,1 , I now see that my processor shows as a core i9 9700K processor in the About this Mac section. I think I remember somewhere in the guide that this doesn’t matter, but is that correct? I couldn’t locate it again to save my life even with the search function.

Sorry to write a novel! I can post a video of the latency issue if that would help. Thanks to all the great contributors and this community for the help and advice they give.
May sound stupid but have you tried using a different USB port? Maybe the Yellow on the IO sheild.I'm not sure if those DAC ports really makes a difference in OS X or Windows for that matter but you never know.Bless

Hi,

I have followed this guide very closely, and wanted to start by thanking @CaseySJ for the unbelievable amount of work put into this build and thread. Hats off to you sir, very impressive!

I have yet to install Mojave on my machine, and keep getting different issues every time I boot.

Build details:
Board: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x16Gb 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Context:
I have previously used a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming, with which I tried to install macOS for over a month, but to no avail. I tried a multitude of guides, approaches, USB drives, different EFIs, but nothing worked.
I recently switched motherboards to the Designare, as I was under the impression that the MoBo was the problem.

Current Status:
It just so happens that I keep having the same issues with even reaching the installer. 5 out of 10 times I try to boot, I get a loop of "CODE_SIGNING: cs_invalid_page" + "Binary is improperly signed" message. See images.

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Once in a while, I get to the installer screen, after Language Selection, but it invariably crashes there. Sometimes it just crashes and displays the crash log (I can try and attach it here, if anyone finds it helpful), other times it doesn't display the log but doesn't complete the installation either, displaying something like this:

IMG_0868.jpg

I have also got the "macOS cannot be installed on your computer" error a few times.

What baffles me is that I get a lot of different outcomes without changing anything on the installer USB. If I had the same output consistently, it would make it easier to pinpoint what the issue might be.
I'm attaching the current EFI that I'm using, which was built according to this guide.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
May sound stupid but have you tried using a different USB port? Maybe the Yellow on the IO sheild.I'm not sure if those DAC ports really makes a difference in OS X or Windows for that matter but you never know.Bless
@MullisMan,

The Apogee Quartet is a USB 2.0 device so this might be obvious, but have you tried connecting it to one of the two black USB 2.0 ports on the rear IO panel?

Hi,

I have followed this guide very closely, and wanted to start by thanking @CaseySJ for the unbelievable amount of work put into this build and thread. Hats off to you sir, very impressive!

I have yet to install Mojave on my machine, and keep getting different issues every time I boot.

Build details:
Board: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1x16Gb 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Context:
I have previously used a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming, with which I tried to install macOS for over a month, but to no avail. I tried a multitude of guides, approaches, USB drives, different EFIs, but nothing worked.
I recently switched motherboards to the Designare, as I was under the impression that the MoBo was the problem.

Current Status:
It just so happens that I keep having the same issues with even reaching the installer. 5 out of 10 times I try to boot, I get a loop of "CODE_SIGNING: cs_invalid_page" + "Binary is improperly signed" message. See images.

View attachment 426265

View attachment 426266

Once in a while, I get to the installer screen, after Language Selection, but it invariably crashes there. Sometimes it just crashes and displays the crash log (I can try and attach it here, if anyone finds it helpful), other times it doesn't display the log but doesn't complete the installation either, displaying something like this:

View attachment 426267

I have also got the "macOS cannot be installed on your computer" error a few times.

What baffles me is that I get a lot of different outcomes without changing anything on the installer USB. If I had the same output consistently, it would make it easier to pinpoint what the issue might be.
I'm attaching the current EFI that I'm using, which was built according to this guide.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hello @rmleitao,

The problems you describe may be caused by a combination of 3 issues:
  1. The macOS installer may be corrupted. Have you already tried downloading a completely new installer from the Mac App Store?
    • To do this, first go to your Applications folder on the Mac and delete the existing macOS installer.
    • Empty the trash.
    • Open the Mac App Store and re-download the latest 10.14.6 installer.
    • When download is complete, select File --> Get Info and check that it is a bit over 6GB in size.
  2. The USB flash disk may be faulty.
    • Flash disks have a higher failure rate than SSDs. They're not rated for heavy duty cycles.
    • We recommend a high quality name brand USB flash disk.
    • I personally recommend the Samsung Bar Plus 32GB, but any good name brand USB flash disk will suffice.
  3. The USB port limit patches in the config.plist are incomplete/incorrect. The corrected file is attached. Please copy this to the EFI partition of the (good name brand) USB flash disk. You may use EFI Mounter v3 or Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 94
The benefits in my case was to tale my file storage, which is APFS, and move it to another system easily. The permissions aside, this was a huge save when I built my Designare. The build instructions are excellent, and so are the posts. Very exciting as it is the best MB I have used.

Back