Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, this is the 64 thousand dollar question. If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know.

In “About this Mac” there is a Memory tab that graphically depicts memory slots. What do you see there?

Not sure what bugged out but it came back and this is what I have. The system has been working fine.

This is with slots 4 and 6 empty in my SMBIOS config.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 1.33.52 PM.png

I believe the requirements are as follows (based on various user reports from earlier in this thread):
  • No WiFi/BT card, although AptioMemoryFix seems to work for some people with WiFi/BT card plugged in.
  • VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC.
  • slide=0 should be removed from Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments, but try with and without.
  • iGFX enabled or disabled -- does not seem to matter.
  • SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 (with IGFX disabled) or iMac19,1 (with IGFX enabled). Macmini8,1 should also be okay.

I have a BCM94360CD in a PCI-E Adapter with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and IGFX disabled and VirtualSMC.

AptioMemoryFix does work for me, but slide=0 is essential in my case so far or I get the runtime error again.

One can always create a new config.plist with a different name such as config-no-igpu.plist and save in the same CLOVER folder. In this new file, we can remove all IGPU settings such as those from Devices --> Properties or Graphics --> Inject Intel.

Then in BIOS, disable IGFX and at the Clover Boot Menu, select the Options icon and choose config-no-igpu.plist from the appropriate menu/sub-menu. It might even be sufficient to disable IGFX in BIOS without modifying config.plist, but I haven't tested this personally.

Excellent, it worked nicely. I could actually just disable the iGPU in BIOS and boot without issues. The Clover boot screen was so fast that I didn't get a chance to load the special config the first time! :D

Disabling the iGPU didn't make any positive difference though, so I'm back to the "standard" iMac 19,1 config with the iGPU enabled.

Thanks for your help!

I'm experiencing a weird kernel cache error that I think may be related to using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Checksum error for compressed prelinked kernel.
Bad prelinkedkernel path '/Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' cannot be used
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[10185] exited with status 77.
Error 107 rebuilding /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

This error seems to pop up when I'm doing OS updates, installing Xcode, and ocassionally in the system log.
I've not had much luck using some of the other Aptio fix drivers.

What driver is anyone else running? Does anyone else see this error with their build?

I'm experiencing a weird kernel cache error that I think may be related to using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. Can anyone shed any light on this?

This error seems to pop up when I'm doing OS updates, installing Xcode, and ocassionally in the system log.
I've not had much luck using some of the other Aptio fix drivers.

What driver is anyone else running? Does anyone else see this error with their build?
First suggestion would be to run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache just to rule this out.

My sleep seems to have broke after a reinstall (with the latest supplemental). Anyone else?

is there a reason why you chose MacMini 8,1 instead of an iMac 18,3?

Also how did you manage to make your make bootable without a USB drive after the tutorial is finished?

BTW, I can confirm this tutorial to also work with the following parts:
Asus Z390-A
i7 8700K
Vega 56 Strix
Samsung NVME
Do you have the USB Disk Ejected Improperly during sleep issue when setting memory above 2666 MHz?
Also, do you have the latest ASUS UEFI BIOS installed? It has been reported that this issue was solved through a BIOS update.
Thanks!

I completed a successful build of @CaseySJ 's Hackintosh with the Z390 Designare MOBO, Radeon Pulse RX580 GPU, core i7-9700K CPU, 32GB (2x16GB) of crucial ballistix sport LT 2400 RAM, a Samsung 970 PRO 512 system drive, and a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO storage drive. I've had a few things to work out but almost everything runs perfectly (as far as I've been able to run it through some tests), but I have a few questions:

***1. When I restart my machine I never even get to the BIOS screen if I have 2 monitors connected to my GPU. I use a Vizio 40" 4K tv for my secondary monitor and an ASUS 23.6" monitor. As soon as I unplug one of the HDMI cables from the GPU and restart, voila. BIOS, normal startup etc. I can then plug in the second monitor or TV and the secondary screen is recognized. I thought with the Radeon Pulse RX580 being natively recognized I wouldn't have any issues there.

***2. I have noticed that in Logic Pro X 10.4.1 when recording live instruments like guitar through my Apogee Quartet interface (USB), I am getting some very noticeable latency at 64 samples buffer size. I have tried it with a second USB interface and I get the same result. I've observed it on a large project where I have many tracks (>40) with plugins, synth software instruments, software drums, etc. I have also observed it when starting a new empty project and having only the single live instrument track. Sometimes, I even hear some very harsh distortion when monitoring the guitar; sounds like a bitcrusher with octaves. If I move up to 128 sample buffer, the harsh distortion goes away, but I still have the noticeable latency.

Now, getting some noticeable latency when running lots and lots of tracks with plugins and software instruments while trying to monitor a live guitar input at 64 sample buffer size might sound like the exact thing one would expect, and I would agree except that my previous hackintosh that I retired for this build (GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 LGA 1150, Intel Core i7-4790K CPU, EVGA GTX 970, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz DDR3, and SSD drive) could run that with no latency, and nary a pop/click during playback. I know that because I saved the projects I'm experiencing it on with that hackintosh, and opened them again on this new one. The older hack ran everything flawlessly.

It’s also strange that even with the single audio track I’m still getting latency at the 64 sample buffer size, sometimes with the awful distorted sound which necessitates changing the buffer size or restarting Core Audio. Even at 128 sample buffer, if I add even 4 (low latency compressor/EQ) plugins to the track I start to hear the latency creep back in, like a slapback echo.

Any other audio producers had this issue with their hack build? Is using a USB audio interface an issue? I’ve tried multiple USB ports on the Designare to see if that was a problem but it’s the same everywhere. Was I spoiled and didn't realize it? This machine seems like it should be much much more capable of handling these tasks.

***3. When I followed the guide and configured my system definition to iMac 19,1 , I now see that my processor shows as a core i9 9700K processor in the About this Mac section. I think I remember somewhere in the guide that this doesn’t matter, but is that correct? I couldn’t locate it again to save my life even with the search function.

Sorry to write a novel! I can post a video of the latency issue if that would help. Thanks to all the great contributors and this community for the help and advice they give.

So I posted a while ago about my build but have been pretty busy but finally got a stable rig. I had done a few installs due to some hardware swaps and CCC has been invaluable for other issues. However, I think I have a pretty stable machine now and overall very happy! It has taken quite a bit of reading up on the forums and a lot of tinkering.

Here is my build:
i9-9700k
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz (clocked down to 2666mhz to help with sleep issues)
Samsung 970 EVO SSD (primary)
Intel 660p 2TB SSD (secondary)
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB SSD (windows)
MSI VGA RX 580 Armor 8GB OC
Corsair RM750x Gold PSU

I had a lot of issues with sleep/wake as I was testing but it finally stabilized out with clocking down the memory speed as discovered recently. I have reliable sleep/wake with one keystroke to wake and no darkwake.

I also got pretty scared of the whole free2000 memory issue and didn't want the possibility of bricking my system (though it seems like it's a pretty unlikely event), so I was happy to finally figure out that I could get AptioMemoryFix.efi working with the Mac19,1 setting and iGPU enabled (with VirtualSMC). I didn't want to do another install to change the system ID, though I know I could probably get away with keeping the same serial numbers and simply switching the ID to MacPro1,1 in SMBIOS.

Thanks again to @CaseySJ for his tireless efforts - I still can't believe how much time you put into the forums and it is much appreciated!

Would you mind posting your config.plist?

The only way I can get my machine to boot with AptioMemoryFix is to disable Internal Graphics in BIOS which kills Quicklook for Jpegs. You seem to have it enabled. I also am using 19,1 and VirtualSMC.

Thanks!

If you are connecting USB 2.x devices to the two on-board USB-C ports, those devices will not work because we've intentionally disabled USB 2 (on HS08 and HS13) to avoid exceeding the 15-port limit of macOS. Devices like the 2018 iPad Pro that contain a USB-C port can ship with USB 2 charging/data cables, so in many cases simply purchasing a proper USB-C cable that supports USB 3 should allow these devices to work.
View attachment 425620
That's strange because before I did the most recent update, the type c port was working. I have a USB hub I was using.

Back