Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The current build is.
  • Gigabyte z97-UD7-TH

Would it be possible for you to share your EFI/Clover folder for the GA-Z97X-UD7 TH ?
I've got an old El Capitan system I'd love to update.

Hi is there a solution to external disks being ejected during sleep ? Also errors from bad “sleep’. Thanks
Have you seen the discussion regarding DRAM speed? If we reduce DRAM speed to 2666MHz, this problem seems to go away. Please see this section of the guide:

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 2.31.11 PM.png

Is that software? Sorry I haven't heard of this. As always, appreciate the help. Thank you!
Your configuration looks good, namely:
  • USB SSDT is in place and IOReg file confirms that the correct ports are enabled and functioning.
  • Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT is also in place and IORegconfirms that Thunderbolt is also functioning.
    • There is an Apogee Digital Elements 46 device attached.
    • The two rear panel USB-C ports are also active, but no USB device is connected to them.
Please try this experiment:
  • Connect a USB 3 device to the available USB-C port on the rear panel.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to this section:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 2.35.39 PM.png
  • The device tree should update automatically when a USB device is inserted or removed.
  • Please try different USB-C devices to see if they appear under either SSP1 or SSP2. Only USB 3 devices will work.

Have you seen the discussion regarding DRAM speed? If we reduce DRAM speed to 2666MHz, this problem seems to go away. Please see this section of the guide:

View attachment 426333
Hi thanks problem is that the system IS ejecting the external drives when waking from sleep (that is we don’t want them ejected ). Thanks

Hi thanks problem is that the system IS ejecting the external drives when waking from sleep (that is we don’t want them ejected ). Thanks
The Jettison app has the ability to remount ejected drives after wake-from-sleep. There's a free trial period to test the application.

Good idea. Also, the two flash disks you mentioned are fine. Let's see how it goes...

Ok, most definitely bad RAM.. consistently getting thousands of errors on every test.
Will be replacing the RAM tomorrow, and see how it goes from there.

IMG_0877.jpg

Ok, most definitely bad RAM.. consistently getting thousands of errors on every test.
Will be replacing the RAM tomorrow, and see how it goes from there.

View attachment 426352
Ouch!!

This is the first report in this thread of a bad Crucial Ballistix module. Previous reports pertained to Corsair Vengeance LPX.

I completed a successful build of @CaseySJ 's Hackintosh with the Z390 Designare MOBO, Radeon Pulse RX580 GPU, core i7-9700K CPU, 32GB (2x16GB) of crucial ballistix sport LT 2400 RAM, a Samsung 970 PRO 512 system drive, and a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO storage drive. I've had a few things to work out but almost everything runs perfectly (as far as I've been able to run it through some tests), but I have a few questions:

***1. When I restart my machine I never even get to the BIOS screen if I have 2 monitors connected to my GPU. I use a Vizio 40" 4K tv for my secondary monitor and an ASUS 23.6" monitor. As soon as I unplug one of the HDMI cables from the GPU and restart, voila. BIOS, normal startup etc. I can then plug in the second monitor or TV and the secondary screen is recognized. I thought with the Radeon Pulse RX580 being natively recognized I wouldn't have any issues there.

***2. I have noticed that in Logic Pro X 10.4.1 when recording live instruments like guitar through my Apogee Quartet interface (USB), I am getting some very noticeable latency at 64 samples buffer size. I have tried it with a second USB interface and I get the same result. I've observed it on a large project where I have many tracks (>40) with plugins, synth software instruments, software drums, etc. I have also observed it when starting a new empty project and having only the single live instrument track. Sometimes, I even hear some very harsh distortion when monitoring the guitar; sounds like a bitcrusher with octaves. If I move up to 128 sample buffer, the harsh distortion goes away, but I still have the noticeable latency.

Now, getting some noticeable latency when running lots and lots of tracks with plugins and software instruments while trying to monitor a live guitar input at 64 sample buffer size might sound like the exact thing one would expect, and I would agree except that my previous hackintosh that I retired for this build (GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 LGA 1150, Intel Core i7-4790K CPU, EVGA GTX 970, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz DDR3, and SSD drive) could run that with no latency, and nary a pop/click during playback. I know that because I saved the projects I'm experiencing it on with that hackintosh, and opened them again on this new one. The older hack ran everything flawlessly.

It’s also strange that even with the single audio track I’m still getting latency at the 64 sample buffer size, sometimes with the awful distorted sound which necessitates changing the buffer size or restarting Core Audio. Even at 128 sample buffer, if I add even 4 (low latency compressor/EQ) plugins to the track I start to hear the latency creep back in, like a slapback echo.

Any other audio producers had this issue with their hack build? Is using a USB audio interface an issue? I’ve tried multiple USB ports on the Designare to see if that was a problem but it’s the same everywhere. Was I spoiled and didn't realize it? This machine seems like it should be much much more capable of handling these tasks.

***3. When I followed the guide and configured my system definition to iMac 19,1 , I now see that my processor shows as a core i9 9700K processor in the About this Mac section. I think I remember somewhere in the guide that this doesn’t matter, but is that correct? I couldn’t locate it again to save my life even with the search function.

Sorry to write a novel! I can post a video of the latency issue if that would help. Thanks to all the great contributors and this community for the help and advice they give.

Check this, if you have slapback echo:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 09.41.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 09.41.29.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 60
Hmm, it looks like my thus-far-perfect build has shown two (rather minor) oddities after the update to the latest supplemental patch. While I suspect this may be related to the Catalina Beta I'm not quite sure, so I thought I'd ask/report here just in case. Namely the following two problems have popped up:

1. Random Wake-from-Sleep.
After I put the computer to sleep it will randomly wake up, but not in any kind of pattern. This mostly happens during the night, where after being in sleep mode for an hour or two, it will simply wake back up. "Power Nap" and "Wake for Network Access" are disabled.

2. Semi-random loss of the bluetooth card.
I think this might be related to the first issue, but I'm not sure. What happens is that after waking from sleep, sometimes the bluetooth card is not recognised at all -the menubar item will simply say "Not Available"- and consequently my magic keyboard and trackpad cease to function, forcing me to log in via a wired keyboard and restart, at which point the card is detected again and works properly.
I believe this only occurs after the computer randomly woke from sleep without me prompting it, because if I induce sleep by hand and wake it back up later, everything works as it should, as far as my testing has shown.

Without being able to verify on an earlier version, I believe that these issues only started occurring after the supplemental update (currently on 19A558d), they did not exist on the original Catalina Beta.

Your configuration looks good, namely:
  • USB SSDT is in place and IOReg file confirms that the correct ports are enabled and functioning.
  • Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT is also in place and IORegconfirms that Thunderbolt is also functioning.
    • There is an Apogee Digital Elements 46 device attached.
    • The two rear panel USB-C ports are also active, but no USB device is connected to them.
Please try this experiment:
  • Connect a USB 3 device to the available USB-C port on the rear panel.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to this section:
    View attachment 426334
  • The device tree should update automatically when a USB device is inserted or removed.
  • Please try different USB-C devices to see if they appear under either SSP1 or SSP2. Only USB 3 devices will work.

My type c USB hub has been connected. Unfortunately it won't turn on after macos is booted. I'm thinking it might be easier to just switch cables and use a regular usb 3 cable instead of type c. I don't think I have any other type c devices I can test besides my Android phone. I'll see if that connects.

Back