Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you search this thread for "clicking" you will find several reports of what seems like a similar problem. Try the following:
  • BIOS --> Disable the on-board Audio Controller

Maybe I don't know how to use the search bar, but I can't find anything with "clicking", could you please quote here a similar problem from someone ?
By doing this, I disabled the ALC1220-VB ?

duplicate

Last edited:
Maybe I don't know how to use the search bar, but I can't find anything with "clicking", could you please quote here a similar problem from someone ?
By doing this, I disabled the ALC1220-VB ?
Search function works very well, like this:
  • As long as you are viewing this thread, scroll up to the very top and click the magnifying glass as shown.
  • Enter the keyword: clicking noise
  • Then select This thread from the pop-up menu.
  • Click on the blue Search button.
You will see 2 sets of results:
  • Set 1 will come from different threads.
  • Set 2 will come from this thread.
Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.22.52 AM.png

Disabling the Audio Controller will turn off the Realtek 1220VB. This is one of the suggestions proposed earlier in this thread.

Tried looking into the manual and switched to port 1. This is what I see when iGFX is disabled (picture with tons of testVRAM messages ). When iGFX is enabled its just a screen with bunch of garbled stuff. Attached below.

I'm curious, do you have "CSM Support" Enabled or Disabled in the UEFI?

Search function works very well, like this:
  • As long as you are viewing this thread, scroll up to the very top and click the magnifying glass as shown.
  • Enter the keyword: clicking noise
  • Then select This thread from the pop-up menu.
  • Click on the blue Search button.
You will see 2 sets of results:
  • Set 1 will come from different threads.
  • Set 2 will come from this thread.
View attachment 420478

Disabling the Audio Controller will turn off the Realtek 1220VB. This is one of the suggestions proposed earlier in this thread.

Yeah I know, it was just at the last result, effectively some people have a problem with sound, but don't understand what they exactly hear, me it's from the boot moment, at 3/4 of the bar, when it's gpu loading time, I start to hear sounds same if I don't do anything, anyway my friend take holidays and come back in September so we will see, I will continue to discuss here.
I actually didn't fix it. I get audible 'clicks' when using the USB connection on my DAC, but I don't get them when I use onboard digital output (TOS-link), so I just switched to using that. There was also another annoying problem with my DAC not detecting properly on macOS startup, so I would have to unplug and replug it in. It might be SSDT related, but I can't really be bothered troubleshooting it because it works fine with optical. Maybe another time when I have a break.

Hello @skittlebrau,

Can you describe my the sound problem that you have ?
Because for me, in firewire or thunderbolt, I hear the system same by doing anything, it's like if the sound follow the activity of the computer and it's only start during the boot when the bar is at 3/4.
In jack I don't have any problem.
Is that the same for you ?

We're using FakePCIID to add an extra sub-vendor ID for the on-board i211 Ethernet port so that the SmallTreeIntel82576 kext will attach. But this method is not applicable to Thunderbolt.

Attached is a modified Thunderbolt SSDT for Falcon Ridge (not for Designare Z390 or any Titan Ridge system). This one nulls out two devices that are present by default on the Asus X99 (H000 and D07C) so it will be necessary to replace them with any default device present in your DSDT. Also note that this attaches to PCI0.BR1A so that too should be modified.

I can modify this for your motherboard, but will need the following:
  • DSDT.aml
  • PCI path for Thunderbolt (is it PCI0.RP05, PCI0.BR1A, etc.?)
By the way, hot-plug is not currently working with Falcon Ridge and this SSDT. Will continue to work on it though.

Much appreciated.

Thunderbolt PCI is _SB_.PCI0.RP21

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    183.2 KB · Views: 55
If you can borrow an AMD RX 560, 570, 580, or Vega card it might be worth a quick test. In that case, we should disable IGPU in BIOS and remove "Inject Intel" as well as the Devices --> Properties entry for the iGPU.
What brand do you recommend? I can pickup a cheap 560 for the sake of testing

Thank you very much for the guide, you clearly put a lot of work into this and it is greatly appreciated. I finished the build yesterday following the guide and it's gone quite smoothly, with a few hiccups. I'm using the Designare, an i9-9900k, an RX580 and (in theory) 64GB of RAM (16GB x 4). I've got it set up as iMac19,1.

While I don't have the Fenvi FV-T919 yet (it's arriving tomorrow, just using ethernet w/o Bluetooth at the moment), it's mostly running great. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices, so I can't actually test that quite yet.

The issues I've had are:
  • JPG preview/quick look doesn't work. I've seen a few workarounds for that, but many of them are now dated and I'm wondering if there's a fix that is known to work with the build/setup described in this particular guide, with OS X 10.14.6?
  • Movies from my iTunes library won't play. The player window pops up, I can drag the playhead around, but the video itself is just black without audio. It's only for the movies themselves, though: trailers in the iTunes Store play just fine.
  • The case fans are all running at 100%. Probably the most minor issue. It's not like they're super loud, it's just something I noticed.
  • RAM issues. This is probably some sort of hardware issue, but I've got 4 sticks of 16GB memory. When all four are inserted, the computer just reboots endlessly, no POST. I've tried removing and reinserting to no avail. If I remove half and just use two slots it works fine. With all four, no dice. I've even tried swapping the sticks around to try to isolate if one of them is defective (which shouldn't be the case anyway, since they were previously in use on my Windows machine where they worked fine). I hope it's not a defect in the motherboard hardware.
Overall, I'm excited it's working as well as it is. It was actually more painless than I'd expected. But if anyone's got any suggestions for any of the above, I'd love to hear about it. As I said, I've seen workarounds for some of them, but I'm wary of trying anything that's not specific to the build/setup described in this thread out of fear of completely breaking it.

@jasonmstone, I have the same JPG issue... completely different build. Curious to see what will fix it for you and if it'll work for me.

Much appreciated.

Thunderbolt PCI is _SB_.PCI0.RP21
Attached are modified SSDTs:
  • SSDT-DTPG-ASUS-Z370A-PRIME.aml
    • Move the existing SSDT-DTPG.aml out of the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and copy this one to that folder.
  • SSDT-ASUS-Z370A-PRIME-FALCON.aml
    • This version nulls the default PXSX device on RP21 and creates the Thunderbolt device tree.
    • Move any previous Thunderbolt SSDT from the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and copy this one.
    • Hot plug functionality is currently not working. Still a work in progress...

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG-ASUS-Z370A-PRIME.aml
    109 bytes · Views: 70
  • SSDT-ASUS-Z370A-PRIME-FALCON.aml
    7.5 KB · Views: 76
Back