Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What brand do you recommend? I can pickup a cheap 560 for the sake of testing
The gIOScreenLockState problem has been widely experienced and there are numerous threads discussing various solutions. Before spending money on a new GPU, it might be worth exploring some of those solutions.

In addition, let me throw out some other suggestions (no guarantee of effectiveness however):
  • Relatively recent Clover (4921 or later). [Probably already done.]
  • Latest Lilu and WhateverGreen -- but also try removing WhateverGreen and devices --> Properties.
    • Then enable InjectIntel in Graphics and set ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007 (also in Graphics).
  • Use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable instead of HDMI. Plug cable into either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on back panel.
    • If possible, do not use an HDMI adapter, but keep the entire video signal in the DisplayPort domain.
More Extreme Suggestion:
  • Continue to use existing video cable.
  • Remove WhateverGreen and Devices --> Properties.
  • In the Devices section of Clover Configurator, set IntelGFX to 0x12345678. This will prevent the accelerated video driver from loading (no graphics acceleration).
  • In Graphics, check-on InjectIntel and leave ig-platform-id empty.
  • You will not have GPU acceleration, but if this works, it could allow you to complete the macOS installation and worry about GPU acceleration later.

Thank you very much for the guide, you clearly put a lot of work into this and it is greatly appreciated. I finished the build yesterday following the guide and it's gone quite smoothly, with a few hiccups. I'm using the Designare, an i9-9900k, an RX580 and (in theory) 64GB of RAM (16GB x 4). I've got it set up as iMac19,1.

While I don't have the Fenvi FV-T919 yet (it's arriving tomorrow, just using ethernet w/o Bluetooth at the moment), it's mostly running great. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices, so I can't actually test that quite yet.

The issues I've had are:
  • JPG preview/quick look doesn't work. I've seen a few workarounds for that, but many of them are now dated and I'm wondering if there's a fix that is known to work with the build/setup described in this particular guide, with OS X 10.14.6?
  • Movies from my iTunes library won't play. The player window pops up, I can drag the playhead around, but the video itself is just black without audio. It's only for the movies themselves, though: trailers in the iTunes Store play just fine.
  • The case fans are all running at 100%. Probably the most minor issue. It's not like they're super loud, it's just something I noticed.
  • RAM issues. This is probably some sort of hardware issue, but I've got 4 sticks of 16GB memory. When all four are inserted, the computer just reboots endlessly, no POST. I've tried removing and reinserting to no avail. If I remove half and just use two slots it works fine. With all four, no dice. I've even tried swapping the sticks around to try to isolate if one of them is defective (which shouldn't be the case anyway, since they were previously in use on my Windows machine where they worked fine). I hope it's not a defect in the motherboard hardware.
Overall, I'm excited it's working as well as it is. It was actually more painless than I'd expected. But if anyone's got any suggestions for any of the above, I'd love to hear about it. As I said, I've seen workarounds for some of them, but I'm wary of trying anything that's not specific to the build/setup described in this thread out of fear of completely breaking it.
Hello @jasonmstone,

Let's see if we can address these issues. First of all, please click here and enter your CPU, Graphics, and Motherboard information so it appears under your avatar.

JPEG Preview and Quick Look
Because you're using iMac19,1 with a discrete RX 580 GPU, have you set Platform ID to 0x3E980003 (headless)? Procedure for this is available here.

iTunes DRM Playback
The problem you're describing affects protected content in iTunes, hence it's related to Digital Rights Management or DRM. Movie trailers are not protected content, so they will play. The first potential solution is to set shikigva=60 in Boot Arguments (Clover Configurator). Note that it is not shiki-VGA, but shiki-GVA. Also, are you successfully signed in to iCloud? Are FaceTime and Messages working properly (i.e. you can sign in to both of them)?

Case Fans
Case fans can be controlled by the BIOS with one of the predefined Silent modes or a Custom fan curve. This is easy to do as long as the fan controller you're using supports motherboard-based control. Most of them do. Please see this post as an example.

RAM Issue
Are you using Corsair Vengeance DIMMs? These have been rather problematic. I assume the DIMMs are XMP 2.0 compliant and you've enabled X.M.P. Profile 1 in BIOS?

EDIT: A worthwhile article on AnandTech regarding 32GB UDIMMs (for anyone wanting 128GB with 4 DIMMs or 64GB with 2 DIMMs).

Last edited:
RAM Issue
Are you using Corsair Vengeance DIMMs? These have been rather problematic. I assume the DIMMs are XMP 2.0 compliant and you've enabled X.M.P. Profile 1 in BIOS?

What problems are known with this RAM? I have 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX with Profile 1 enabled to get 2666Mhz.

What problems are known with this RAM? I have 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX with Profile 1 enabled to get 2666Mhz.
There are at least two reports in this thread of owners getting defective modules.

There are at least two reports in this thread of owners getting defective modules.

I might have to run a Memtest then just to be sure.

I might have to run a Memtest then just to be sure.
If your system is not crashing and rebooting time and time again, then no worries. Bad RAM will manifest itself very quickly!

The gIOScreenLockState problem has been widely experienced and there are numerous threads discussing various solutions. Before spending money on a new GPU, it might be worth exploring some of those solutions.

In addition, let me throw out some other suggestions (no guarantee of effectiveness however):
  • Relatively recent Clover (4921 or later). [Probably already done.]
  • Latest Lilu and WhateverGreen -- but also try removing WhateverGreen and devices --> Properties.
    • Then enable InjectIntel in Graphics and set ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007 (also in Graphics).
  • Use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable instead of HDMI. Plug cable into either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on back panel.
    • If possible, do not use an HDMI adapter, but keep the entire video signal in the DisplayPort domain.
More Extreme Suggestion:
  • Continue to use existing video cable.
  • Remove WhateverGreen and Devices --> Properties.
  • In the Devices section of Clover Configurator, set IntelGFX to 0x12345678. This will prevent the accelerated video driver from loading (no graphics acceleration).
  • In Graphics, check-on InjectIntel and leave ig-platform-id empty.
  • You will not have GPU acceleration, but if this works, it could allow you to complete the macOS installation and worry about GPU acceleration later.

I've read through several posts regarding gIOScreenLockState and the solutions don't seem relevant to my situation or build.

I was able to get to disk utility and start installing OS with both my 5700 XT and my GTX 970, but now I can't even get there with my iGPU

This evening I'm going to go pickup a USB-C to DP cable, and a XFX 550. Hopefully, the cable gets me up and running with your new suggestions, and I can return the card. If it doesn't, I'll troubleshoot with the 550! It seems as though the others with success with this motherboard have all used a dGPU of some sort. I'll report back with my findings tonight!

I've read through several posts regarding gIOScreenLockState and the solutions don't seem relevant to my situation or build.

I was able to get to disk utility and start installing OS with both my 5700 XT and my GTX 970, but now I can't even get there with my iGPU

This evening I'm going to go pickup a USB-C to DP cable, and a XFX 550. Hopefully, the cable gets me up and running with your new suggestions, and I can return the card. If it doesn't, I'll troubleshoot with the 550! It seems as though the others with success with this motherboard have all used a dGPU of some sort. I'll report back with my findings tonight!
Good plan, but also give the "More Extreme Suggestion" a try.

Good plan, but also give the "More Extreme Suggestion" a try.
I'm going to do my best to make it work without a dGPU so I don't have to put more money into graphics. Anything more than the 550, and I might as well return my 5700 XT and get the Radeon VII. Hopefully, everything works tonight with the cable and suggestions, and I can boot and then be one of the first to get a Xtreme / i9 9900k / 5700 XT(once drivers come) build working solid. I'll post a guide/my experience for others! It will really be beastly once everything works!

Back