Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

There are at least two reports in this thread of owners getting defective modules.
Make that 3 - had 1 of 4 die on me.
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

Make that 3 - had 1 of 4 die on me.
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

How long did you have the RAM before it died? That makes me nervous. I've gone through two bad pairs of Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM. Latest pair installed in June. Everything is running great now. Hope the RAM doesn't fail me down the road.

Been running this machine (almost exact same config as OP; see sign) for about two months now. Everything works perfectly, except while the machine is in sleep it reboots spontaneously, about once a week. I come back from work and it's sitting at the clover boot screen waiting for the boot partition to be selected.
Anybody seen a problem like that?
Thanks for the over-the-top build description! First hack in about ten years.

Been running this machine (almost exact same config as OP; see sign) for about two months now. Everything works perfectly, except while the machine is in sleep it reboots spontaneously, about once a week. I come back from work and it's sitting at the clover boot screen waiting for the boot partition to be selected.
Anybody seen a problem like that?
Thanks for the over-the-top build description! First hack in about ten years.
Does this problem happen if you put the system to sleep from the Apple menu, wait a couple of minutes, and press a key to wake the system?

Or does it only seem to happen when the system puts itself to sleep?

The most common causes for sleep/wake problems on this system have been:
  • An internal USB connection to F_USB header on motherboard. This might be a Corsair power supply, Corsair liquid cooler, NZXT liquid cooler, etc.
  • Wake for Network Access in System Preferences --> Energy Saver. This should be disabled.
  • Power Nap in the same Energy Saver pane. This seems to work for some, but for now keep it disabled.
  • Some external USB or Thunderbolt devices might also interfere with sleep/wake.
We apply the process of elimination to try and identify the offending device or devices, as follows:
  • Disconnect USB and Thunderbolt devices (except keyboard/mouse).
  • Test sleep/wake. But if the problem only occurs when system sleeps by itself, then this can take quite a bit of time. But it might be worth attempting anyway by disconnecting all USB and Thunderbolt external devices except keyboard and mouse.
Other factors:
  • In BIOS, disable all "Wake on LAN" settings.

Does this problem happen if you put the system to sleep from the Apple menu, wait a couple of minutes, and press a key to wake the system?

Or does it only seem to happen when the system puts itself to sleep?

The most common causes for sleep/wake problems on this system have been:
  • An internal USB connection to F_USB header on motherboard. This might be a Corsair power supply, Corsair liquid cooler, NZXT liquid cooler, etc.
  • Wake for Network Access in System Preferences --> Energy Saver. This should be disabled.
  • Power Nap in the same Energy Saver pane. This seems to work for some, but for now keep it disabled.
  • Some external USB or Thunderbolt devices might also interfere with sleep/wake.
We apply the process of elimination to try and identify the offending device or devices, as follows:
  • Disconnect USB and Thunderbolt devices (except keyboard/mouse).
  • Test sleep/wake. But if the problem only occurs when system sleeps by itself, then this can take quite a bit of time. But it might be worth attempting anyway by disconnecting all USB and Thunderbolt external devices except keyboard and mouse.
Other factors:
  • In BIOS, disable all "Wake on LAN" settings.

Thanks so much! Will check each item on your list. I got a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter hooked up (for bridging Ethernet). Just discovered there's a BIOS setting "Allow Thunderbolt devices to wake system". Turned if off to see if the crash persists.

Hi all,

I just built my first Hackintosh using this fantastic guide. Thank you very much, CaseySJ!!! I'm a long-time Linux geek & sysadmin so nothing was too scary for me. :)

Everything was working great, so I restored data from a Time Machine backup of my old 2011 iMac using Migration Assistant. That all worked great, except now I can't auto-boot into macOS anymore. :(

The Boot macOS Install from <Mac Volume> entry came back (as if I'm doing the first couple phases of the Hackintosh install) and it's the default entry. The Boot macOS from <Mac Volume> entry is still there, but I have to select it manually. If I let the ...Install... entry auto-boot it immediately produces a not permitted icon on screen (circle with diagonal line). I've tried specifying the default boot volume in the Clover config by name, volume UUID, disk UUID and LastBootedVolume, but nothing seems to have an effect.

Do you all have any idea why that entry showed up after restoring data via Migration Assistant and what I can do to get rid of it or at least make the non-Install entry be the default?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jason

Good plan, but also give the "More Extreme Suggestion" a try.

Haha! The USB - C to DP cable was the fix... Didn't have to try anything different! Time to work on post installation.

Will report back with details!

Just a quick FYI: My Ultrafine suddenly started to Automatically adjust brightness.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.37.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.37.18 PM.png
    310.4 KB · Views: 94
About a year. Confirmed not working in two motherboards. Still bought Corsair again, though.

Back