Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I noticed a peculiar behaviour. I boot up into a black screen on my ultrafine 5K if I have the integrated graphics enabled, as soon as I disable the integrated geaphics the black screen behavior disappears. Am I missing something ?
This might be an interesting finding for owners of Thunderbolt monitors.

The motherboard connects a DisplayPort stream from the iGPU to each of the two Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. But when we use a discrete GPU and connect it to the DP-In port, the motherboard should switch off the iGPU stream and route dGPU signal to the Thunderbolt port. This only works with one of the two Thunderbolt ports (please refer to Designare user manual to identify the correct port).

Your observation sounds as if this auto-switching is not taking place properly, and you are forced to disable the iGPU...

You are quite right! I keep the port covers attached to the GPU ports so I didn't notice that there are actually 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports on the RX 580!

Does the HDMI problem still exist (one port works but other is off)?
Just tested one monitor on HDMI, but no dice. It gets a signal, than says it's receiving no signal and goes into power save, but when completely started up the screen the screen is active, but black. The monitor connected to DP doesn't contain the dock. So somewhere the system sees the second monitor, but no picture.
Connected both monitors back to DP again, this works. Only quirk, the menu bar on the second screen doesn't contain text. But when you click on the desktop of the second screen the menubar appears with text. Those fun little quirks! :lol:

So I’m still randomly receiving the prohibited symbol at start up. Honestly, not sure what is causing it. I formatted my Mac and Windows drives and even pulled the Mac drive out when installing Windows to make sure nothing is written to the Mac drive.

I had Windows install all the updates and everything needed before reinstalling the Mac drive. I also went into Windows after macOS was installed and turned off all the cache and write features to the Mojave drive. Doesn’t look like Windows wrote anything to the drive this time around.

Randomly, I receive the prohibited symbol... usually if I leave the computer turned off over night. The way I have been getting everything back up and running is running the installer again and leaving the system intact (just installing the OS without formatting). Everything comes back as it should, but, then, again randomly, the prohibited symbol returns, and I am forced to run the Mojave installer again. Has anyone had this issue and/or know of a way to see what’s causing it? It’s really annoying and not practical to have to run the installer every time I want to run macOS.

Last edited:
Question @CaseySJ, did you change fan speeds in Designare's BIOS? All my fans are Noctua's, but they are louder than I expected. I'd like to finetune them in the BIOS.

Question @CaseySJ, did you change fan speeds in Designare's BIOS? All my fans are Noctua's, but they are louder than I expected. I'd like to finetune them in the BIOS.
Yes, please see details here:

So I’m still randomly receiving the prohibited symbol at start up. Honestly, not sure what is causing it. I formatted my Mac and Windows drives and even pulled the Mac drive out when installing Windows to make sure nothing is written to the Mac drive.

I had Windows install all the updates and everything needed before reinstalling the Mac drive. I also went into Windows after macOS was installed and turned off all the cache and write features to the Mojave drive. Doesn’t look like Windows wrote anything to the drive this time around.

Randomly, I receive the prohibited symbol... usually if I leave the computer turned off over night. The way I have been getting everything back up and running is running the installer again and leaving the system intact (just installing the OS without formatting). Everything comes back as it should, but, then, again randomly, the prohibited symbol returns, and I am forced to run the Mojave installer again. Has anyone had this issue and/or know of a way to see what’s causing it? It’s really annoying and not practical to have to run the installer every time I want to run macOS.
Let's try to figure this out. First, some basics / reminders:
  • Is macOS installed in M2M slot or M2P?
  • Is Windows installed in NVMe or connected to one of the SATA ports?
  • If you mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD, what folders do you see inside the EFI folder?
    • Would be helpful to post screenshot of the contents of EFI folder.
  • In BIOS, is the Mojave SSD selected as the First Boot drive?
  • Are all BIOS parameters set correctly for macOS (including: Windows 8/10 Features --> Other OS)?
  • Is IGPU enabled or disabled in BIOS?
  • What SMBIOS name are you using (iMac19,1)?
  • In the CLOVER/drivers64Uefi folder (or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder), are there any of the following:
    • AptioMemoryFix
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv
    • OsxAptioFix3Drv
    • OsxAptioFix...
  • At what stage of the boot process do you get the Prohibited Symbol?
    • If you enable verbose mode (just add "-v" to Boot Arguments or press SPACEBAR at Clover Boot Menu and enable Verbose checkbox), what error do you see?
      • Would be helpful to post a screenshot of this.

Sorry for a bit off topic.

I just hop in here for a little question because you're on an UltraFine 5K.

Do you get the full resolution out of the display (5K / 2560x1440 Retina)?
Would be nice to read from you, because I want to build the same hack, maybe another graphics card, but the display is very important to me.

Thanks.
I do get full 5K resolution and macOS does scaling.

This might be an interesting finding for owners of Thunderbolt monitors.

The motherboard connects a DisplayPort stream from the iGPU to each of the two Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. But when we use a discrete GPU and connect it to the DP-In port, the motherboard should switch off the iGPU stream and route dGPU signal to the Thunderbolt port. This only works with one of the two Thunderbolt ports (please refer to Designare user manual to identify the correct port).

Your observation sounds as if this auto-switching is not taking place properly, and you are forced to disable the iGPU...
Tried looking into the manual and switched to port 1. This is what I see when iGFX is disabled (picture with tons of testVRAM messages ). When iGFX is enabled its just a screen with bunch of garbled stuff. Attached below.

Attachments

• C200184B-8782-473C-A660-B8D8B64BE291.jpeg
    C200184B-8782-473C-A660-B8D8B64BE291.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 01AEB659-FF0A-4939-B2A9-3DE750F3933D.jpeg
    01AEB659-FF0A-4939-B2A9-3DE750F3933D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 47
Hello @goldorac, I have an OWC 14-port Thunderbolt dock with on-board headphone jack. There is no problem with the sound — no ground loop hum or chassis ground issue. The OWC dock is self-powered so that could make a difference.

What specific Firewire and Thunderbolt device(s) are your friends using?

For Firewire : UAD Appolo.
For thunderbolt : Universal Audio Arrow.

Both are working perfectly under the Mac Pro 3,1.

For Firewire : UAD Appolo.
For thunderbolt : Universal Audio Arrow.

Both are working perfectly under the Mac Pro 3,1.
If you search this thread for "clicking" you will find several reports of what seems like a similar problem. Try the following:
  • BIOS --> Disable the on-board Audio Controller

Back