Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Maybe a dumb question, but the initial post/guide here says to download "MacOS 10.14.2, 10.14.3, 10.14.4, or 10.14.5" but through the App Store, I only seem to be able to download 10.14.6. Will that still work? Does it change anything from the rest of the guide?

If the -F parameter is building the cache every time, then it's not necessary to run kextcache from Recovery. But in general we should not use -F.

The SmallTreeIntel82576.kext from the build guide works only in combination with FakePCIID.kext. But there is another version of the SmallTree82576 kext that is standalone. If you have the standalone version in the CLOVER/kexts/10.14 folder, then it's okay. Otherwise it should be deleted.

There is nothing wrong with the PCI list! We will see more entries in that list when:
  • We connect Thunderbolt devices
  • We manually inject device name properties as explained in the spoiler Specifying Device Names and Types located here.
There is so much discussion in this thread regarding Sleep and Wake that if I talk about it any more, I might get sleep problems myself. :)

Please search this thread for "sleep wake" by member name "caseysj". If you are still stuck, just let me know. See, for example, this post:
How do you distinguish two version of the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext?

Here's a modified CLOVER folder for the USB install disk that uses a custom USB SSDT (specifically for the AORUS Extreme) instead of the USB port limit patches. This should allow you to use USB 3.0 ports.

As for the black screen after gIOScreenLockState, double check that you have latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen. Also check that Clover version is 4921 or newer -- Clover version is displayed during boot just prior to the Clover Boot Menu appearing.

Also search this thread for posts by user @frickergg.
Looks like my Clover is out of date. When I try to update via Clover Configurator, it says "There were some problems connecting server of stable and beta versions"

Any way around this?

Thanks!

Maybe a dumb question, but the initial post/guide here says to download "MacOS 10.14.2, 10.14.3, 10.14.4, or 10.14.5" but through the App Store, I only seem to be able to download 10.14.6. Will that still work? Does it change anything from the rest of the guide?
Yes 10.14.6 should work. I'll update the build guide soon. Apple keeps releasing macOS updates and I have to keep updating the guide... Sometimes there are delays between the two!

How do you distinguish two version of the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext?
The website or thread or post from which we download the kext will provide this information (or an appropriate clue).

Looks like my Clover is out of date. When I try to update via Clover Configurator, it says "There were some problems connecting server of stable and beta versions"

Any way around this?

Thanks!
Yes, use the latest Clover in the Downloads > Clover Builds. It's been tested by us. The new r5000 series is still buggy.

Any way around this?

Thanks!
We can download the Clover installer package ourselves from two locations:
But we should backup the entire EFI folder first and have a USB install disk or other recovery boot disk ready...

If using the TonyMac version, just launch the installer and select the target drive. All settings have already been pre-selected. But it will install AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix3Drv instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, so some post-install fine-tuning will be needed.

If using the SourceForge version, after launching the installer we need to select the correct target drive and then select Customize.
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.50.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.51.16 PM.png
After that, review the various options in the lists. In particular:
  • Install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition).
    • This is important. Must be checked on.
    • But be sure to select the right install disk in screenshot 1 ("Change Install Location...") if necessary.
  • UEFI Drivers.
    • Be sure to avoid AptioMemoryFix and any other OsxAptioDrv driver. Only OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with "slide=0" is known to work. Others may or may not work under certain circumstances.
    • Select EmuVariableUefi in the "Additional Drivers" sub-list.
  • Install RC scripts on target volume.
    • This should be checked on.

Last edited:
Hey! I got it all working now thanks to your guide. All I needed to activate my iGPU for rendering, etc., is to know how to specify the platform id with WhateverGreen. Is there an easy way to set this up? Anyway our guide is truly amazing. Thank you for everything..

Quick question I feel like I should know the answer to but I don’t. Is the Radeon RX 5700 XT supported natively by 10.14.6 or 10.15 betas??

If I bought one now for my hack, would I be able to use my Vega 64 to drive the display in MacOS, and run Crossfire when gaming in windows?

any thoughts

Hey! I got it all working now thanks to your guide. All I needed to activate my iGPU for rendering, etc., is to know how to specify the platform id with WhateverGreen. Is there an easy way to set this up? Anyway our guide is truly amazing. Thank you for everything..
See that link in the red box? :)

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 1.38.39 PM.png

Back