Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

For the last few days, with AptioMemoryFix / EmuVariableUefi and VirtualSMC , I have been able to boot and shutdown without errors. I think we do have a promising alternative to free2000. The only thing that I can't do is to enable SIP.

Last night I tried to enable SIP following the process to disable MSR 0xE2 and enabling SIP worked. I haven't observed the stability for long. Will do and report back,

Nevertheless AptioMemoryFix / EmuVariableUefi and VirtualSMC are stable alternatives to free2000
Sounds promising. But why enable SIP?

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can give me a hand with the Designare z390, I'd like to disable de M2p port temporarily in order to install Windows in a SSD, it's that possible? Haven't found a way to do in the BIOS, with SATA drives it's a very straightforward procedure

Thanks a lot!
We have to physically remove NVMe drive from M2P slot. No short cuts!

Hi everybody!

I've been following your instructions strictly but somehow I can't get beyond the first installation screens. Boot from clover is all OK through initial debug texts but when it gets to the language choice screen it freezes after a few seconds.

What could be the problem? I've changed USB stick a few time and ports too but nothing seems to change. Used all latest versions of Mojave installer cloverconfigurator and unibeast. Might be something relating to graphics? I've been stuck on this for a few days and no idea how to move on :/

Specs
Intel i9 9900k
GIGABYTE Designare z390
Sapphire RADEON VII
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60
SAMSUNG 500Gb NVME M.2 970 EVO
CORSAIR RM1000i 80PLUS Gold
FRACTAL DESIGN Define R6 USB-C
Logitech wireless Desktop MK270

See attached screenshot of last screen and my EFI folder. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Some background questions:
  • Are you using the Samsung EVO or EVO Plus? If using the Plus, have you already updated its firmware via Samsung Magician?
  • Are you installing 10.14.6? The USB port limit patches for 10.14.5 will not work with 10.14.6. It would be better to disable all USB port limit patches and copy:
    • USBInjectAll.kext to your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on EFI partition of USB install disk​
    • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on EFI partition of USB install disk​
  • If you have any Windows drivers or other hard drives in the system, probably a good idea to remove them.

After rethink about it, I don't think the card position really matter. I read the comment log of this page, and figure out it's truely native. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTX...Adapter-PCi-Express-Wireless/32815001639.html

However, the Bluetooth go to the usb pins on mobo. And in system report > usb, there is still "Broadcom Bluetooth Download Device", but System Report > Bluetooth: No information found. So I think my problem is if I mistaken do sth to limit Bluetooth card.

How do you think @CaseySJ ?
The most important things to check for Bluetooth problems:
  • Must install SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml
  • Must install SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml and USBInjectAll.kext
After checking this, if the problem continues, please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File —> Save As.... Then upload the saved file.

Edit: You uploaded IOReg in earlier post. Will look at it later today.

Last edited:
Hi there!!

Just changed FakeSMC with VirtualSMC. 1.06, but now iStats doesn't shows the CPU's temp !! :eek::eek:

Thanks a lot,

You should also use SMCProcessor.kext file with VirtualSMC and iStats shows wattage, volts, temperatures, fan speed etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a peak at it. Im using them both paired but still no dice.

My suspicion goes to the wrong bios settings. It's a rather painful trial and error of shutting down, unplugging, repowering, replugging, repeat. See you on the other side.
On my Asus X99 Deluxe II, the ThunderboltEx 3 card appears properly in IOReg, but I have not yet connected it to a Thunderbolt device. Will do so when I return from vacation.

Meanwhile, please post screenshots of the Thunderbolt BIOS settings. Some key parameters for Asus:
  • Security Level —> Legacy Mode
  • Wake from Thunderbolt Devices —> OFF
  • GPIO3 Force Power —> Enabled

Last edited:
You should also use SMCSensors.kext file with VirtualSMC and iStats shows wattage, volts, temperatures, fan speed etc.
Hi, sorry.. Where can I get SMCSensors.kext? It is not contained within the REALEASE folder for VirtualSMC..

Did you mean SMCLightSensor.kext?

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.54.38.png

Thanks!

I've been struggling majorly trying to get the Gigabyte z390 Gaming X up and running.
Was able to get 10.13.6 installed but cannot figure out multibeast settings what so ever.
Can't seem to find a successful build thread so if anyone can point me to a successful multibeast settings list that is compatible that would be amazing!

Thanks for posting the screenshots.
  1. Clover 6: You've set IntelGFX to 0x12345678, but this field should be empty.
  2. Clover 7 and ACPI-Patched: Because you have installed the custom USB SSDT, it becomes necessary to disable the 4 USB port limit patches in the Clover 7 screenshot.
  3. ATM 3: The Thunderbolt section will always say No drivers are loaded as already mentioned in the guide. You can safely ignore this page.
If BIOS parameters are correctly set, please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... to save the IOReg data. Upload the file.

Alright thank you! I have some good news and bad news. My build is almost perfect.

I updated my bios settings to reflect the guide (they mysteriously had reset to defaults) and all my USB ports and thunderbolt ports work w/ hot swap except for my LG 5k display, which I'm OK with as I'm just happy its running successfully in full 5k res. I have also successfully put my build into headless mode.

However I have new problems:

1. All my USB devices eject during sleep (I believe I saw talk+solution about this in the guide, so I will revisit it).
  2. I have very unusual and deal-breaking behavior with my LG 5k display. I'll try to break it down here.
    • I have my Vega 64 plugged into the Mobo DP port and my LG 5k display boots the bios screen and clover, so everything works great in that sense. So my Vega 64 is driving my LG 5k, not the HD 630
    • During Mac OS boot I get an intermittent black screen during the apple boot logo and after the purple WEG marks (I assume this is normal). Sometimes, only when using the LG 5k display, it goes to black screen and stays black. The login doesn't pop up as it usually does. The LG 5k display doesn't turn back on at all. The builds' fans acts as if it has in fact boot into login screen, though.
    • After I get the black screen, I can't get the display to show anything no matter how many reboots. The bios or clover don't even show up anymore. What seems to fix it is connecting to my Vega 64 via DP or HDMI to another monitor and then setting it up to use my LG 5k again. But this fix only lasts so many reboots. Usually after 5-8 reboots, the LG 5k stops working again and I have to go through this whole process to make it work again.
    • Hot swapping the LG 5k in while I have my Vega 64 plugged into a separate monitor doesn't work either. It just is a black screen and before I made macOS into headless mode sometimes would display lines. But after I enabled headless mode that isn't an issue anymore-- its just a black screen. Im not so much worried about the LG 5k hot swapping as I am it not working consistently.
    • The monitor stops working completely (including stops working in bios boot up) even if I unplug or bump the monitor while macOS is booted up. And sometimes when I reboot my PC after this happens-- the PC reboots twice before booting into clover. Thats something interesting I thought I should point out.
So any ideas on making my 5k display work consistently? I couldn't find anybody else in the forums who had similar problems. This is so irritating as its perfect when it is working. All other displays work consistently every single time every time. I have included a set of screenshots, but also a copy of my IORegistryExplorer file.

Also I just want to verify something: I was able to put my build into headless mode as shown by my VideoProc acceleration confirmation of H264 and HEVC with my HD 630 graphics. This still means my Vega 64 will be used for FCPX and all other video intensive tasks as an iMac 19,1 would, correct?

Extra Info if at all useful:
- Clover 4920
- Windows is installed in NVME slot 1 (but have never boot into windows on this PC this far)

Last edited:
Back