Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good to know. Once a few more confirmations are posted I'll add appropriate statements to the build guide for Vega and Radeon VII owners.
Some users in the German Hackintosh Forum had already confirmed that the Vega kexts or PowerPlayTable injections are not needed anymore during the 10.14.5 Beta releases. So I had been looking forward to the final release very much and I’ve not been disappointed :)
Hopefully others will describe their experience as well. The random purple lines might just be limited to some RX 580 models. The moment I saw those lines my heart skipped a beat. Scary, in a first-world-problem sort of way!
Almost everybody seems to have the purple lines. I have read dozens of reports about them today (I think even by real Mac users, but I’m not sure).

Some users in the German Hackintosh Forum had already confirmed that the Vega kexts or PowerPlayTable injections are not needed anymore during the 10.14.5 Beta releases. So I had been looking forward to the final release very much and I’ve not been disappointed :)

Almost everybody seems to have the purple lines. I have read dozens of reports about them today (I think even by real Mac users, but I’m not sure).

I run a Sapphire Radeon VII and have no lines, purple or any other.

Last edited:

I have a MacBookAir 2012, no purple lines...

I've been struggling with more system freezes lately which forces me to hard reset my computer using the case reset button. Been trying to pinpoint the culprit for a while now before seeking help here but I'm having a hard time detecting any patterns. I did run Memtest and my RAM passes just fine.

I've attached some txt files containing excerpts of lines from my Console system.log File before I reset my machine. The line that contains "BOOT_TIME" is the reset point. I thought it was Dropbox or Cubase but the system is starting to lock up more often outside of using those programs. The freezing has been occurring more frequently as well. Hoping someone is able to see something that I'm not seeing.

It may sound obvious, but double check your hardware. Make sure your memory is seated correctly. Make sure all your power connections are properly plugged in. When I was suffering from random reboots, I was on the verge of RMA'ing half my setup. Then I realised I'd knocked the ATX power connection a little loose when I was tidying up my internal cabling. That was causing my machine to crash any time it was under moderate load. Now it's as stable as a rock.

Of course, if that fails, try running through the install again and make sure you follow everything exactly.

It may sound obvious, but double check your hardware. Make sure your memory is seated correctly. Make sure all your power connections are properly plugged in. When I was suffering from random reboots, I was on the verge of RMA'ing half my setup. Then I realised I'd knocked the ATX power connection a little loose when I was tidying up my internal cabling. That was causing my machine to crash any time it was under moderate load. Now it's as stable as a rock.

Of course, if that fails, try running through the install again and make sure you follow everything exactly.

Yeah, just opened up my case and double checked that everything was seated and plugged in correctly. Seems like everything is in its right place. I don't have the optional ATX_12V_2X2 plugged in but I'm not overclocking so I dont think that is the issue. Edit: I just added the ATX_12V_2X2 just in case.

Will make a carbon copy back up and start from scratch.

Last edited:
Just installed 10.14.5 worked good so far but my Audio in outs are gone. Where i have to put AppleALC.kext at Clover/others ?
And what the purple lines at start up means? Sometimes i see pics where people check hw acceleration with a tool what is the name?
Thanks for help!

Same actually. TridentZ, 3200, brand new from Newegg. Bought as 2 pairs with the same latencies so shouldn't be an issue as far as I know... The weird thing is that both pairs post on their own but won't post if all 4 are installed. Anyway if I can't figure it out I'll reach out to G Skill and see what they say.
  • Yes it's good to contact G.Skill for troubleshooting advice.
  • If you're not currently on BIOS F6, you may want to upgrade.
  • Also enable X.M.P. Profile 1 from M.I.T. section of BIOS.

Hi! I wanted to make a hackintosh as my main PC. As components for now I thought of putting an i7-9700K. While as GPU, I think I use my Nvidia (GTX 1080 Ti) which I know is not natively compatible on Mojave,. For the motherboard I was still very undecided between this Gigabyte Designare Z390 or a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Ultra. Can anyone tell me which one is the best?
The Designare Z390 is best. Am I biased? Nooooooo, of course not. :) There is currently a $30 price difference on Amazon between the two boards. For those extra thirty dollars you'll get built-in Thunderbolt 3 on the Designare.

If you decide to add Thunderbolt 3 to the Z390 AORUS Ultra, you will need:
  • GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt add-in-card ($100)
  • Connect 2 PCI power cables to the add-in-card
  • Connect 1 USB data cable to the motherboard F_USB header
  • Connect 1 Thunderbolt header cable to motherboard THB_C header
  • To drive a Thunderbolt monitor, you will also need to connect a DisplayPort cable from an existing video port to one of the two DP-In ports on the add-in-card
But on Designare motherboard, you don't need ANY of the above. Is that worth the extra $30? I think so!

Last edited:
Just installed 10.14.5 worked good so far but my Audio in outs are gone. Where i have to put AppleALC.kext at Clover/others ?
And what the purple lines at start up means? Sometimes i see pics where people check hw acceleration with a tool what is the name?
Thanks for help!
You asked several questions:
  1. The latest version of AppleALC is 1.3.7. If you have an older version, it would be advisable to update. Copy AppleALC.kext to /Library/Extensions and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
  2. Purple horizontal lines may just be a minor bug in the updated AMD driver that was released with 10.14.5. I would not worry about it.
  3. We use an application called VideoProc to check HW acceleration. Once installed, select Setting and then Options.

Back