Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey.
I changed the SMBIOS to 19.2, and the configuration of the USB has changed as in the image that I am attaching.
What may have happened?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 12.29.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 12.29.01.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 111
@3Dman Do you have any tips on how to get that modified GRUB shell running? I've been trying and it won't boot from BIOS no matter what I do (put the EFI into boot folder, format USB drive to FAT32, EXFAT, etc). Any help is much appreciated!

Hi Casey.
I changed the SMBIOS to 19.2, and the configuration of the USB has changed as in the image that I am attaching.
What may have happened?
You are quite right -- the list of USB ports defined in the SSDT do not match the port list in IOReg. Some comments and questions:
  • IOReg has an abbreviated port list, which means USB port limit patch is not in effect (this is good).
  • Where is the abbreviated list coming from?
    • Is 10.14.5 overruling the USB SSDT? That would be very unusual. Changing sysdef has not historically overruled the USBInjectAll port list.
    • Does SSDT-XOSI.aml have anything to do with this?
  • Do you have "Inject Kexts" set to "Detect" in Clover Configurator --> System Parameters?
  • Are you booting from the USB install disk or booting directly from the Mojave SSD?
I'm planning to install 10.14.5 from scratch on a spare SSD this weekend. Will use iMac19,1 and look for any issues and differences with installation, system stability, and speed. Based on your post, I'll check USB configuration as well.

Last edited:
Encountered the panic below during boot up. It happened once before on the fresh install but then stopped happening for a bit until I just recently tried to boot up. Restarted a couple times just now after seeing that screen and it hasn't come back yet. Is this the freeze you were talking about @skroutz999?

This is on 10.14.5 with clover bootloader version r4920.

View attachment 406213
Interesting...
  • Are there any Windows disks installed in the system, either in M.2 Slots or SATA ports?
  • Are there any USB, Thunderbolt, or Bluetooth devices connected to the system other than keyboard and mouse?
  • We need to stabilize this clean installation of 10.14.5. If we cannot stabilize it, we will need to format the spare SSD and install 10.14.4.
  • Did the crashes begin after 10.14.5 or even with 10.14.4?
Right now we are trying to determine:
  • Whether random crashes are due to hardware
  • Whether random crashes are due to 10.14.5
  • So we need to continue to test the fresh installation of Mojave and try to eliminate as many external variables as possible (USB, SATA, and Bluetooth devices)
Please also take a look at this to see if it might (or might not) be relevant:

Last edited:
You are quite right -- the list of USB ports defined in the SSDT do not match the port list in IOReg. Some comments and questions:
  • IOReg has an abbreviated port list, which means USB port limit patch is not in effect (this is good).
  • Where is the abbreviated list coming from?
    • Is 10.14.5 overruling the USB SSDT? That would be very unusual. Changing sysdef has not historically overruled the USBInjectAll port list.
    • Does SSDT-XOSI.aml have anything to do with this?
  • Do you have "Inject Kexts" set to "Detect" in Clover Configurator --> System Parameters?
  • Are you booting from the USB install disk or booting directly from the Mojave SSD?

Booting from SSD Mojave.
If I boot from USB Install (with Mac mini 8.1 SMBIOS definition all USB it's OK).
Inject kext set to Detect.
Tried without SSDT.XOSI no change.
If I remove "XHCI-unsupported.kext" nothing change.

I'm lost...

Booting from SSD Mojave.
If I boot from USB Install (with Mac mini 8.1 SMBIOS definition all USB it's OK).
Inject kext set to Detect.
Tried without SSDT.XOSI no change.
If I remove "XHCI-unsupported.kext" nothing change.

I'm lost...
During my weekend experimentation with 10.14.5 I can also try iMac19,2 and see if the USB problem is reproducible and whether the problem only affects this particular sysdef.

By the way, have you tried iMac19,1?

Hopefully others will describe their experience as well. The random purple lines might just be limited to some RX 580 models. The moment I saw those lines my heart skipped a beat. Scary, in a first-world-problem sort of way!

Powercolor Red Devil Vega56 .....has same problem. Random purple line. and other many user on Korean community reports about that too.

CaseySJ,

I want to again thank you. You have indirectly helped me on another build I've worked on for the past few weeks. I was trying to get TB3 working on a SFF build using the ASRock Z390 Phantom-Gaming ITX mobo (the smallest Z390 with TB3). So far, no one seems to have gotten TB3 working on this mobo (or at least not posted any 'hows').

I tried many versions of SSDTs for TB3 but ended up finding your V4 the best with which to start. I did make a couple of mods specific for the ASRock mobo. To make if more concise, I rolled the SSDT-DTPG file into the main TB3 file, keeping the Patched folder as simple as possible.

Thanks to your postings, I got TB3 working on the ASRock mobo, along with the iGPU (with help from your posts on General Framebuffer Patching). I posted my findings on the ASRock mobo here. (But, I'm wondering if I should start a separate thread instead of posting the success as a buried addendum?)

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
CaseySJ,

I want to again thank you. You have indirectly helped me on another build I've worked on for the past few weeks. I was trying to get TB3 working on a SFF build using the ASRock Z390 Phantom-Gaming ITX mobo (the smallest Z390 with TB3). So far, no one seems to have gotten TB3 working on this mobo (or at least not posted any 'hows').

I tried many versions of SSDTs for TB3 but ended up finding your V4 the best with which to start. I did make a couple of mods specific for the ASRock mobo. To make if more concise, I rolled the SSDT-DTPG file into the main TB3 file, keeping the Patched folder as simple as possible. I'm uploading your V4 as combined with the DTPG file in this post if you want to use it (I called it V5; I've verified this works the same on the Designare as the DTPG + V4).

Thanks to your postings, I got TB3 working on the ASRock mobo, along with the iGPU (with help from your posts on General Framebuffer Patching). I posted my findings on the ASRock mobo here. (But, I'm wondering if I should start a separate thread instead of posting the success as a buried addendum?)

Thanks again for your help!
Before I respond to anything else in this post, I must ask:

How did you get Voltages and Fan RPMs in the ASRock Z390 ITX build?? HWMonitorSMC2??

EDIT: Will test this during the weekend.

Last edited:
During my weekend experimentation with 10.14.5 I can also try iMac19,2 and see if the USB problem is reproducible and whether the problem only affects this particular sysdef.

By the way, have you tried iMac19,1?

It's IMac19,2 that broke my USB!!
IMac19,1 it's ok!
Genius!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 18.25.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 18.25.53.png
    3 MB · Views: 83
Back