Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Casey,

I did encounter kernel panic of those types I think, but also did a full hard power cycle, reload of optimized BIOS defaults, re-setting of BIOs parameters between each such panic. Nothing would get the install past that but yanking that 2nd memory module.

Clover actually lists it as "Boot macOS Install from Mojave". The available Clover boot volumes at this point are:

"Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot" (have no clue on this as I've never used FileVault yet)
"Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot" (not sure what Preboot is at all, so I'll need to study that)
"Boot macOS Install from Mojave"
"Boot macOS from Mojave"

I do have the file "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" in the path "Clover/drivers64UEFI/" on the EFI volume on my boot drive. Not sure if there is something I also need to do here, and will review the guide again to see if I missed a step.

Thanks once again for all the help and guidance.

**Edit, I should add that I listed the available as they appear in Clover from left to right, and Clover defaults to the "Boot macOS Install from Mojave" volume every time.

Last edited:
CaseySJ, just an update everything is working quite well after switch to the 970 PRO NVMe. I just wanted to thank you again for such an amazing guide! I think everyone here truly appreciates your work, I know do.

Cheers!

CaseySJ, just an update everything is working quite well after switch to the 970 PRO NVMe. I just wanted to thank you again for such an amazing guide! I think everyone here truly appreciates your work, I know do.
Cheers!
Thank you, and glad to hear it’s finally working!

Earlier this morning I revised the NOTES to better highlight the problem with Samsung EVO Plus.

Clover actually lists it as "Boot macOS Install from Mojave".
This is created by the MacOS installer, but once you reach the Welcome screen it should be automatically deleted. Perhaps the system was booted or otherwise interrupted just before this point.

When we update to 10.14.5 in the not too distant future, this temporary volume should get deleted.

There may also be a way to manually, but cleanly remove it. I haven’t looked into it, but if you find a procedure it would be nice to post a link or description.

Incidentally, there’s a simple procedure in the build guide for naming the CPU so it isn’t reported as “Unknown”.

Regarding Bluetooth, have you connected the USB power cable from the WiFi/BT card to F_USB header on the motherboard? My mistake — you have already connected power. Would be good to run IORegistryExplorer and then File —> Save As... to export and then upload the device tree.

Regarding memory speed, have you enabled X.M.P Profile 1 in BIOS?

Regarding PCI, have you set up the Thunderbolt parameters in BIOS?

Ah that seemed to do the trick! The only issue I'm having at this point is getting the Bluetooth to work and getting the Broadcom BCM4360CS2 card to show up. Seems the card is being picked up by my computer as it's recognized by Hackintool and I'm able to use the internet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.43.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.43.39 AM.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
The attached SSDT:
  • Disables USB 2 from the two red-colored USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports. USB 3 devices will still work here.
  • Enables HS08 and HS13 to allow USB 2 devices to connect to either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • Total number of ports remains at 15.
Regarding the USB port limit patch:
  • It does not activate USB 2 (black) ports during macOS installation.
  • Port limit patches tend to be specifically tied to a given release of macOS.
  • Port limit patch will most likely fail when 10.14.5 is released.
  • Every time a new macOS is released, you'll be chasing after a new port limit patch.

It works!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) and of course thanks again for this amazing guide. Everything else worked on the first try!

Any successful case using 128GB DDR4?

Hey Guys , I upgraded recently to this board and followed this guide to the T. It seems everything is great so far. I just have a question regarding the built in Thunderbolt 3. Do I need to have a device plugged in for it to show up on system report ? Because it doesn't as is
A modern Mac is not a Mac without Thunderbolt 3

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 2.47.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 2.47.09 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 2.47.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 2.47.27 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Ah that seemed to do the trick! The only issue I'm having at this point is getting the Bluetooth to work and getting the Broadcom BCM4360CS2 card to show up. Seems the card is being picked up by my computer as it's recognized by Hackintool and I'm able to use the internet.

You’re almost there... To diagnose Bluetooth, please run IORegistryExplorer and export the device tree by selecting File—>Save As...

It works!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) and of course thanks again for this amazing guide. Everything else worked on the first try!
Glad to hear it, especially the last sentence!

Back