Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor? What is the make and model? Are you using a Thunderbolt 3 cable or a USB-C cable? Thunderbolt 3 cables and USB-C cables have the same connector shape, but the internal design is quite different. A 6-foot Thunderbolt 3 cable is usually priced around US$50-$65.

Its a LG 27UK850-W monitor with USB-C. When connecting a MacBook 12“ it works perfectly. I have a USB-C cable which came with the monitor and a USB-C cable which came with the MacBook.
Is it even possible to use the Thunderbolt Ports „only“ for USB-C? Because if not, that would explain a lot :D

Its a LG 27UK850-W monitor with USB-C. When connecting a MacBook 12“ it works perfectly. I have a USB-C cable which came with the monitor and a USB-C cable which came with the MacBook.
Is it even possible to use the Thunderbolt Ports „only“ for USB-C? Because if not, that would explain a lot :D
Ok, I suspected as much.

USB-C monitors are different, of course, from Thunderbolt 3 monitors. For example, I have the Asus Designo 27-inch 4K which has DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB-C. It has a USB hub on board as well, and I have the same problem you’re describing.

So let me reopen this little can of worms shortly when I return to the house and see what can be done...

Ok, I suspected as much.

USB-C monitors are different, of course, from Thunderbolt 3 monitors. For example, I have the Asus Designo 27-inch 4K which has DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB-C. It has a USB hub on board as well, and I have the same problem you’re describing.

So let me reopen this little can of worms shortly when I return to the house and see what can be done...

Thanks!

I’ve tried it for hours and thought I was just too stupid to follow your guide :D

Just that I get this right. Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be „downward compatible“ to USB-C? That’s why it is working in Windows and the BIOS settings without any problems. But the Titan Ridge Controller is natively supported, so shouldn’t it work OOB? I also tried removing your SSDT files and booted with the monitor already plugged in, so no hotplug, but it also didn’t work.

Thanks!

I’ve tried it for hours and thought I was just too stupid to follow your guide :D

Just that I get this right. Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be „downward compatible“ to USB-C? That’s why it is working in Windows and the BIOS settings without any problems. But the Titan Ridge Controller is natively supported, so shouldn’t it work OOB? I also tried removing your SSDT files and booted with the monitor already plugged in, so no hotplug, but it also didn’t work.
After some experimentation with the Asus Designo MX27UC:
  • Hot-plugging the Thunderbolt port to USB-C input of the monitor causes the computer to freeze immediately.
  • Booting the computer with Thunderbolt port already connected to USB-C input of the monitor allows the system to run, but (a) no video signal and (b) no USB hub.
  • However, connecting the USB-C input of the monitor to the front-panel USB-C port on my Phanteks Evolv X connects the monitor's USB hub! But because our USB SSDT activates only SS01 (super-speed USB) but not HS01 (high-speed USB), it means only USB 3 devices connected to the monitor will mount on the Hack.
    • If you need to connect USB 2 and USB 3 devices to your monitor, we can modify the USB SSDT. Because of the 15-port limit, if we enable HS01 we will need to disable something else.
    • HOWEVER, you may also connect a USB Type A to USB Type C cable, with the Type A end connected to a USB 3 port on the Hackintosh. This will enable the USB hub, but video signal will have to come from DisplayPort or HDMI.

After some experimentation with the Asus Designo MX27UC:
  • Hot-plugging the Thunderbolt port to USB-C input of the monitor causes the computer to freeze immediately.
  • Booting the computer with Thunderbolt port already connected to USB-C input of the monitor allows the system to run, but (a) no video signal and (b) no USB hub.
  • However, connecting the USB-C input of the monitor to the front-panel USB-C port on my Phanteks Evolv X connects the monitor's USB hub! But because our USB SSDT activates only SS01 (super-speed USB) but not HS01 (high-speed USB), it means only USB 3 devices connected to the monitor will mount on the Hack.
    • If you need to connect USB 2 and USB 3 devices to your monitor, we can modify the USB SSDT. Because of the 15-port limit, if we enable HS01 we will need to disable something else.
    • HOWEVER, you may also connect a USB Type A to USB Type C cable, with the Type A end connected to a USB 3 port on the Hackintosh. This will enable the USB hub, but video signal will have to come from DisplayPort or HDMI.

Thanks for testing all this! Would be awesome if you could upload a modified version of the SSDT which allows also USB2 on my monitor when connected via one of the Thunderbolt connector :) I don't care if an other port on the back wouldnt work then. Would it be also an alternative to use the limit patch in clover and don't use the SSDT patch at all? (only hotplug would of course be a problem without SSDT)?

Thanks for testing all this! Would be awesome if you could upload a modified version of the SSDT which allows also USB2 on my monitor when connected via one of the Thunderbolt connector :) I don't care if an other port on the back wouldnt work then. Would it be also an alternative to use the limit patch in clover and don't use the SSDT patch at all? (only hotplug would of course be a problem without SSDT)?
The attached SSDT:
  • Disables USB 2 from the two red-colored USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports. USB 3 devices will still work here.
  • Enables HS08 and HS13 to allow USB 2 devices to connect to either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • Total number of ports remains at 15.
Regarding the USB port limit patch:
  • It does not activate USB 2 (black) ports during macOS installation.
  • Port limit patches tend to be specifically tied to a given release of macOS.
  • Port limit patch will most likely fail when 10.14.5 is released.
  • Every time a new macOS is released, you'll be chasing after a new port limit patch.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB.aml
    695 bytes · Views: 77
Thank you so much, will try it as soon as possible!

EDIT: By the way is there a guide/tuturial which explains how creating a SSDT file works, I'm curious to be able to also create it by my own ;)

Last edited:
Thank you so much, will try it as soon as possible!

EDIT: By the way is there a guide/tuturial which explains how creating a SSDT file works, I'm curious to be able to also create it by my own ;)
Here’s the most user friendly guide:

Success!

I'm up and running and posting this from my Mojave install. My build differs from this guide in the following ways:
  • i9-9900K processor, but reports as 3.6 GHz unknown in SI. All 16 threads show up in CPU Usage window of Activity monitor, but only seeing activity on every other thread so far (have not run any major multi-threaded apps yet).
  • I'm using different memory from GSkill. 2 sticks of 16GB ram, part no. F4-3600C19-16GVRB.
  • Different Wifi card, and USB bluetooth adapters, but they are up and working natively.
  • Samsung 1TB 970 Pro M.2 card.
  • Only using onboard iGPU (so far), with no buffer patches, but using a TB to HDMI 2.0 adapter cable. I will give the XFX RX-580 card a whirl after I back the install up (using a Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB for backup drive).
  • NZXT case with Corsair H1151 Pro Water cooling (fits in the front of case flawlessly), and system is nearly silent under the minimal loads I'm under thus far.
The oddities, and a couple of things to resolve:
  • Was getting kernel panics on initial attempts prior to getting to first MacOS install screen. Some attempts got further, with some of those getting as far as running Disk Utility, then hang. As failures varied in how far the install went (nothing getting to stage 2), I was thinking install was not loving something in the hardware. I yanked one of the memory modules, and next install attempt went to completion with no odd unexpected behavior compared to guide. After install, I was able to re-install the other memory module, and they both report, and no crashes so far, but I've not stress tested yet.
  • I also pulled the wifi card and bluetooth USB module to simplify for installation troubleshooting, but I did that before finally yanking the memory module, so those items likely had nothing to do with the failed installation attempts.
  • The "Install Majave" hidden partition still exists even though install successfully completed without any errors. Clover INSISTS on leaving that the default boot partitions no matter what I do to the boot options with clover editing the Mojave EFI partition's config.plist. I've tried Default Boot Volumes of "LastBootedVolume" and my "Mojave" volume name, and it still defaults to that darn "Install Mojave" volume. I increased the boot timeout to 10 seconds so I have time to direct clover to boot on the Mojave volume. I find this quite odd in that I can alter the timeout, but not get any effect from adjusting the Default Boot Volume option. I guess I'll have to unhide that volume and delete manually.
  • I see some other volumes I've not seen in OSX before, such as Preboot, but I'm new to Mojave, so I need to research and see if those are normal.
That's it for now. I'm backing up the system, and then will attempt getting the XFX RX-580 working, and see if it will work reliably before trying to reflash it to another brand.

Thanks Casey! I hereby nominate your for sainthood! I'll donate to the site too, haha.

@Robertyu,

Well done -- especially with respect to overcoming various kernel panics!!

Some follow-ups:
  • Did you encounter kernel panics or a number of Error loading kernel cache errors or Couldn't allocate runtime area errors? These are sometimes caused by multiple hard reboots, installation/uninstallation of PCIe / SATA / NVMe devices (especially if power cable is not unplugged), etc. and are often resolved by a BIOS re-flash or a full power cycle (power cable unplug from wall).
  • Regarding the "Install Mojave" disk volume in Clover, does it say Install MacOS from Mojave or something else?
  • Have you installed EmuVariableUefi-64? That should allow Clover to remember the last booted volume. I'm surprised that you're also unable to set this in config.plist. No explanation for that yet...
  • Kudos for making a backup right away!! Thinking of creating a Mini Guide for this and emphasizing the need to select and purchase the backup components at the same time as the primary components.

Back