Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Guys , I upgraded recently to this board and followed this guide to the T. It seems everything is great so far. I just have a question regarding the built in Thunderbolt 3. Do I need to have a device plugged in for it to show up on system report ? Because it doesn't as is
Thunderbolt should show up in PCI without having to plug in anything devices. But the Thunderbolt panel will be empty because there’s no Thunderbolt Bus or Thunderbolt Local Node. This prevents us from connecting two Macs together.

If Thunderbolt is not appearing in PCI panel, it most likely indicates a BIOS setup issue. Would be good to double check Thunderbolt BIOS settings, especially Thunderbolt Security.

Thunderbolt should show up in PCI without having to plug in anything devices. But the Thunderbolt panel will be empty because there’s no Thunderbolt Bus or Thunderbolt Local Node. This prevents us from connecting two Macs together.

If Thunderbolt is not appearing in PCI panel, it most likely indicates a BIOS setup issue. Would be good to double check Thunderbolt BIOS settings, especially Thunderbolt Security.

Rookie mistake. I am sorry. I updated the BIOS to version F6, and I forgot to set them up again. Thank you very much! It shows up now.

Any successful case using 128GB DDR4?
There should be no problem using 128GB DDR4. This is primarily driven by the BIOS and chipset. This motherboard supports 128GB.

You’re almost there... To diagnose Bluetooth, please run IORegistryExplorer and export the device tree by selecting File—>Save As...

Here's my IORegistryExplorer file, I'm a little lost looking at this, not exactly sure where I should see the Wifi/Bluetooth receiver.

Attachments

• Andrew’s iMac IODeviceTree.ioreg
    24.3 MB · Views: 86
Here's my IORegistryExplorer file, I'm a little lost looking at this, not exactly sure where I should see the Wifi/Bluetooth receiver.
The USB splitter is attached to HS11 and HS12 (physically connected to F_USB header on the motherboard). As you can see from IOReg below, the Corsair H150i Platinum All-in-One cooler is connected to one of the USB ports. But the Broadcom Bluetooth module is not showing up under either HS11 or HS12.

Causes:
  • Bluetooth cable might not be connected properly. Would be good to disconnect it from both ends and then reconnect both ends.
  • Bluetooth cable might be defective. It should have at least 2 wires (Data+ and Data-) and at most 4 wires (to add PWR and GND).
  • Try removing the USB splitter temporarily and connecting the Bluetooth cable directly to F_USB then save and upload the IORegistryExplorer file again.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 10.37.00 AM.png

The USB splitter is attached to HS11 and HS12 (physically connected to F_USB header on the motherboard). As you can see from IOReg below, the Corsair H150i Platinum All-in-One cooler is connected to one of the USB ports. But the Broadcom Bluetooth module is not showing up under either HS11 or HS12.

Causes:
  • Bluetooth cable might not be connected properly. Would be good to disconnect it from both ends and then reconnect both ends.
  • Bluetooth cable might be defective. It should have at least 2 wires (Data+ and Data-) and at most 4 wires (to add PWR and GND).
  • Try removing the USB splitter temporarily and connecting the Bluetooth cable directly to F_USB then save and upload the IORegistryExplorer file again.
View attachment 402478

Ah that was it!! Was just able to airdrop a picture from my phone. Looks like bluetooth is working now, must have been a loose connection or something as everything is showing up as before. Thank you so much for all your troubleshooting help and putting this guide together!

Attachments

• Andrew’s iMac IORegistryExplorer.ioreg
    23.7 MB · Views: 84
Newbie question. At idle my MSI RX580 gets to 54C, but its own fans are not spinning.. They spin on reboot, spin while in bios , but once machine boots they stop. I have read this is possibly normal. I have not pushed it hard yet to see if they come on under a big load.. thought maybe I would check here first before stressing it to death :) power connector is connected.

Additional: When rendering video Premiere got 700% CPU and fans came on.. -- still wonder why 54C is a "idle" temp

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Newbie question. At idle my MSI RX580 gets to 54C, but its own fans are not spinning.. They spin on reboot, spin while in bios , but once machine boots they stop. I have read this is possibly normal. I have not pushed it hard yet to see if they come on under a big load.. thought maybe I would check here first before stressing it to death :) power connector is connected.

Additional: When rendering video Premiere got 700% CPU and fans came on.. -- still wonder why 54C is a "idle" temp

thanks in advance

All of what you've described is normal behaviour.

AMD cards generally have aggressive fan curves and idle around 50–55°C with fans off because that's the 'target' they've set in the GPU's VBIOS. You can manually tune this yourself with VBIOS editing or with third-party software. Some people prefer a more gentle fan curve by having a slow spinning (near inaudible) fan that kicks in early and ramps up slowly, so they make changes accordingly to achieve that.

As for fans spinning on reboot, while in BIOS etc, that's also normal. You'll notice your CPU fan and temp readings will also be higher than idle.

Last edited:
Couldn’t find the answer in your guide, but why are you actually using whatevergreen even if the Sapphire RX 580 is natively supported?

Back