Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Couldn’t find the answer in your guide, but why are you actually using whatevergreen even if the Sapphire RX 580 is natively supported?

You can find this in the Spoiler: Final Steps in Post-Installation,

Starting with macOS 10.14.3 it became necessary to add Lilu and WhateverGreen to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. These kexts were already installed by MultiBeast into the /Library/Extensions folder, so all we need to do is copy them from that location to CLOVER/kexts/Other. These kexts must exist in both of these directories. The resulting CLOVER directory should look like this:

The "Enable dim keys by Wern" patch for controlling display brightness does not work with the new Apple Magic Keyboard without pressing "fn". It works fine on older Apple keyboards though. Is there already a solution perhaps?

@skittlebrau
In my case the fans of the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse are typically not running at all using macOS 10.14.5. While using e.g. a web browser the fans spin up for maybe 2 seconds and it's getting noisy. Using Win10 I don't see this behaviour.

I would prefer to have them running constantly with 20-30%. Any idea how to achieve this?

Thanks...

Newbie question. At idle my MSI RX580 gets to 54C, but its own fans are not spinning.. They spin on reboot, spin while in bios , but once machine boots they stop. I have read this is possibly normal. I have not pushed it hard yet to see if they come on under a big load.. thought maybe I would check here first before stressing it to death :) power connector is connected.

Additional: When rendering video Premiere got 700% CPU and fans came on.. -- still wonder why 54C is a "idle" temp

thanks in advance
All of what you've described is normal behaviour.

AMD cards generally have aggressive fan curves and idle around 50°C with fans off because that's the 'target' they've set in the GPU's VBIOS. You can manually tune this yourself with VBIOS editing or with third-party software. Some people prefer a more gentle fan curve by having a slow spinning (near inaudible) fan that kicks in early and ramps up slowly, so they make changes accordingly to achieve that.

As for fans spinning on reboot, while in BIOS etc, that's also normal. You'll notice your CPU fan and temp readings will also be higher than idle.
I’ll check the fan and temperature behavior of my MSI RX 580 later this evening. I’ve used this card for months without noticing anything unusual, but I can certainly do some careful observations and report my findings.

Couldn’t find the answer in your guide, but why are you actually using whatevergreen even if the Sapphire RX 580 is natively supported?
You can temporarily remove WhateverGreen and see for yourself what we mean by ‘all hell breaking loose!’ :)

You can temporarily remove WhateverGreen and see for yourself what we mean by ‘all hell breaking loose!’ :)
@lanikane make sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy or at least have the number of your local fire dept. on speed dial.

The "Enable dim keys by Wern" patch for controlling display brightness does not work with the new Apple Magic Keyboard without pressing "fn". It works fine on older Apple keyboards though. Is there already a solution perhaps?
Is this problem specifically limited to the new Apple Magic Keyboard, or is it because of the following Keyboard Preference:
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.19.43 AM.png

Is this problem specifically limited to the new Apple Magic Keyboard, or is it because of the following Keyboard Preference:
View attachment 402646
It’s not because of the Keyboard Preference. This is set correctly with the option disabled. It seems to be limited to the new Apple Magic Keyboard. With an older keyboard it works fine.

Thank you very much @CaseySJ, I've been able to setup my first hackintosh easily thanks to you!

Just one question: no fans are reported through iStats or HWMonitor (even when trying with the alternate X99 FakeSMC sensors). Do you have the same problem ? (I'm using the Z390 Designare too, no problems with the kexts, they load, I've the temperatures but not the fan stats)

Thanks!

Thank you very much @CaseySJ, I've been able to setup my first hackintosh easily thanks to you!

Just one question: no fans are reported through iStats or HWMonitor (even when trying with the alternate X99 FakeSMC sensors). Do you have the same problem ? (I'm using the Z390 Designare too, no problems with the kexts, they load, I've the temperatures but not the fan stats)

Thanks!
Glad to hear it! And welcome to the forum.

Fan Speeds are not currently displayed by iStat Menus or HWMonitor. This is a fairly common question so I'll make this point clear in the build guide.

Back