Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm guessing it's a graphics issue. EFI attached

And as an aside, I've heard it's good practice to remove your serial numbers from your posted EFI folders. Just duplicate your EFI, open config.plist with Clover and kill the serials numbers. Then zip and post.

You never know who's downloading stuff from the forum.

I'm in Mojave 10.4.6, I'm not installing Catalina , I'm just trying again to update VirtualSMC to 1.08, because 1.07 never worked in my build , funny enought 1.06 it's ok :banghead:

Few weeks ago I've posted about my issues with 1.07, @CaseySJ , you gave some tips then ( thanks again!)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1994248

So I wonder if anyone it's facing something like this with VirtualSMC, cause I've already tried all I can think about..
Here's a checklist for updating VirtualSMC. If all of these steps have already been done, then it can be more difficult to troubleshoot this problem remotely. Let me suggest (a) double-checking the installation of VirtualSMC based on the checklist below, and (b) if you still have a problem, please try installing Mojave freshly on a spare 128GB or 256GB SSD and then replace FakeSMC with latest VirtualSMC 1.08.

VirtualSMC Installation Checklist:
  • /Library/Extensions folder
    • FakeSMC and all of its sensor kexts should be deleted from /L/E.
    • VirtualSMC.kext and its sensor kexts (SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext) should be copied to /L/E. No need to copy the other VirtualSMC sensor kexts.
    • All third-party kexts should be copied to /L/E if not already done.
    • Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
  • Mount the EFI partition of Mojave SSD and open CLOVER folder
    • Delete SMCHelper.efi from CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx) or from CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx).
    • Copy VirtualSmc.efi to the same folder.
    • Copy VirtualSmc.kext, SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext to CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Run Clover Configurator and click the System Parameters page.
    • Make the changes shown:
      Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 2.43.51 PM.png

I started getting this panic on startup after upgrading to 10.15.5 (and it continues with 10.15.6). It seems to only happen when I have 2 monitors plugged in and the second monitor is a TV. When I hit the reset button it reboots with no problem into OSX every time. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm guessing it's a graphics issue. EFI attached
Please backup your existing CLOVER folder and try the attached version.

Attachments

• CLOVER-KevSea.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
Although I've seen people say you can paste your old serial back in to a different SMBIOS this seems like an easy way to increase the chance of Apple flagging the machine. Has anyone successfully done this or is it still unknown if this is a bad idea?
I'm planning to try this soon, maybe even today. After upgrading to Catalina, I'd like to switch from Mac mini 8,1 to iMac19,1 in order to enable SideCar. I'll report back.

Also if you change your SMBIOS using the normal way (using the correct serial number etc), does this have any of the same risks?
The normal way entails a lot of re-licensing.

I just installed Catalina on an additional backup of my working Mojave installation (iMac 19,1). During my install I had a pretty smooth progress bar counting down from 26 minutes (nothing like in CaseySJ's post described). The system also did not restart. After the installation process I started from the external disks MacOS portion (no Installation partition left) and had one more progress bar of 9 minutes with the Apple logo before I could log in.
I've done four installations of Catalina now:
  • The experience reported in that post comes from my Mac mini 8,1 Hackintosh. This might be a worst case scenario.
  • When upgrading from a Mac Pro 1,1 Hackintosh, the upgrade was faster and smoother, with only one reboot.
  • When upgrading from Catalina Beta on an iMac 19,1 Hackintosh, the upgrade was also fairly fast and smooth.
  • The fourth upgrade was on my 2012 MacBook Air, so that doesn't count!

I have no memory tab on the "About This Mac"-Screen. Yet, the full 128gb is working since applying the trick I learned from here.
View attachment 429552
Same here (on my Designare Z390 Hackintosh).

@CaseySJ Here's an odd one (for me). I discovered today I do not have Quick Look. If I try to QL a .jpg the image opens gray and just sits there with the wheel spinning.

In BIOS, Internal Graphics was "Auto" so I changed it to "Enabled". On reboot, I get to:

Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed
Error allocating 0x11c78 pages at 0x0000000006bac000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

If I set Internal Graphics back to "Auto" or "Disabled", boot is just fine but no QL and VideoProc reports no hardware acceleration for HEVC or H.264 (Vega 64 dGPU).

Inject Intel is disabled (unchecked) in Clover -> Graphics (note: even with it checked, if I enable iGPU in BIOS, same error on boot)

Boot args are:
Any thoughts?
Please check CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx) or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx): Are you using AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000?

Here's a checklist for updating VirtualSMC. If all of these steps have already been done, then it can be more difficult to troubleshoot this problem remotely. Let me suggest (a) double-checking the installation of VirtualSMC based on the checklist below, and (b) if you still have a problem, please try installing Mojave freshly on a spare 128GB or 256GB SSD and then replace FakeSMC with latest VirtualSMC 1.08.

VirtualSMC Installation Checklist:
  • /Library/Extensions folder
    • FakeSMC and all of its sensor kexts should be deleted from /L/E.
    • VirtualSMC.kext and its sensor kexts (SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext) should be copied to /L/E. No need to copy the other VirtualSMC sensor kexts.
    • All third-party kexts should be copied to /L/E if not already done.
    • Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
  • Mount the EFI partition of Mojave SSD and open CLOVER folder
    • Delete SMCHelper.efi from CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx) or from CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx).
    • Copy VirtualSmc.efi to the same folder.
    • Copy VirtualSmc.kext, SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext to CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Run Clover Configurator and click the System Parameters page.
Does Derect work with Virtual? I know Detect specifically looks for FakeSMC to determine if it should inject. Has clover updated to look for Virtual instead of Fake?

My experience was similar up to a point. Cloned my Mojave to an SSD, upgraded lilu, weg etc. Booted from clone, downloaded Catalina from software upgrade and started process. Installer restarted booted in to Install from Catalina etc. After a few minutes saw the installer screen which counted down smoothly from 26 minutes. Rebooted and no more installer choice, just boot from Catalina. Did this and got Apple logo and progress indicator but no progress. Tried again. Same, no progress. An hour has passed. No progress.
Any ideas anyone?
This is the same experience I had when upgrading from an "iMac 19,1" installation of Mojave on a spare SSD. But for me the entire upgrade went smoothly.

Some questions:
  • What SMBIOS are you using on Mojave? iMac19,1?
  • Are you using FakeSMC or VirtualSMC?
    • If VirtualSMC, have you upgraded to the latest version?
  • Are you using a fairly recent version of Clover on the Mojave SSD (and the clone SSD)?
    • v4961 or newer?
  • Are you connected to a computer monitor or TV?
    • Via DisplayPort or HDMI?
  • Do you use a single SSD for both System and User folders or is your User folder located on a different drive?
  • Feel free to compress and upload the CLOVER folder, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS.

Does Derect work with Virtual? I know Detect specifically looks for FakeSMC to determine if it should inject. Has clover updated to look for Virtual instead of Fake?
Yes, Detect works with both FakeSMC and VirtualSMC!

Please check CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx) or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx): Are you using AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000?

Neither. OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi in Clover/drivers64UEFI:

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 7.14.14 PM.png

Back