Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

OK, Cool. I seem to be having a host of issues that I am going to have to sort out (boot issues mostly).
If you installed Catalina on the cloned drive, did you press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to select that SSD each and every time the system rebooted during the installation process?

Also try shutting down and flipping power switch on PSU for 10 seconds, then restart. Press F12 at BIOS splash screen. What boot options do you see? If not, reset CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard (see instructions in Designare manual) then configure BIOS parameters again starting with “Save & Exit —> Load Optimized Defaults.”

The “Data” volume is something new in Catalina. It sets the main OS volume as read-only and creates a new volume for your home directory — i.e., for your “data”. This volume is, of course, writable.

Last edited:
Do you see better performance with the Radeon VII on Catalina or is it still as underwhelming as with Mojave’s?

I would like to know this too!

As soon 1.07 its installed get AppleACPICPU time outs and cant boot

Sorry guys to hijack the "sidecar hype" , but noticed VirtualSMC was updated to 1.08, so went to give it a try, but still no luck with my build, keep getting the infamous "AppleACPICPU" and later a nice black screen,

(btw, I'm still in Mojave)

This reply posted from SideCar! (After switching to SMBIOS iMac19,1.)

This is all the proof we need. Switching to a non-T2 SMBIOS allows SideCar to work.

View attachment 429388

P.S. Also tried iMacPro 1,1 (which has T2) but did not work.

CaseySJ,

I switched my system over to iMac19,1 with no other changes and still had the same Black Screen on Sidecar.
Interesting enough I lost access to Bluetooth (simply disappeared) during this test. I moved back to iMacPro1,1 and my Bluetooth was right back.

I have iGPU disabled in UEFI, I don't have any entries for graphics in config.plist. I'm running with AptioMemoryFix.efi, no WEG, VirtualSmc, and 2 x Radeon Vega 64 Cards. My WiFi/Bluetooth is Broadcom BCM94360CD on a PCIe x1 card. Not that I think it matters, I also have an Intel dual port 10Gbps Ethernet card (PCIe x4).

** FYI: In-Place Upgrade from Mojave to Catalina **

Post #1 now contains 2 links for information on upgrading from Mojave to Catalina.

UAD via TB3 was working with the all Catalina betas, but is now broken with final release of Catalina (I updated from Catalina beta to final release). What I did not do is upgrade from a working Mojave to Catalina; it is possible this path might allow UAD to continue working in Catalina. A fresh install of UAD (current release) in Catalina does not work.

UAD update is in the works according to their site (7 Oct 2019), but ETA is unknown. So if UAD is important, best to stay with Mojave.

Update
I tried restarting again and now I cant mount ANY EFI partitions. Even my boot drive.
*BUT*
That's only if I boot from my Mojave install.
Extremely confused.

Unfortunately, you may have hit an issue with regards to new changes in Catalina and how it partitions disks. It depends on how you did your install. Read this ArsTechnica article and skip to the section about
Volume groups, firmlinks, and why most people won’t notice any of this stuff.

Hopefully, it didn't repartition your Mojave disk. As a precaution, when updating, I would always make a clone of your boot drives and disconnect them. Whenever an OS can see any disks, you never know what the installer might do.

Please set CPU Type to 1005 as shown and reboot.

View attachment 425788
I come back to say that I no longer have a problem with Bluetooth since I moved the ABWB card to the PCIe x4 slot, it can be useful if others use the same card.
I was wondering how to change the identity of the CPU because, in my case, it has been identified as an I9-9900K since I selected the IMac 19.1 model, while I have an I7-9700K.

Sorry guys to hijack the "sidecar hype" , but noticed VirtualSMC was updated to 1.08, so went to give it a try, but still no luck with my build, keep getting the infamous "AppleACPICPU" and later a nice black screen,

(btw, I'm still in Mojave)

I know it may not help much, but I just updated to 1.0.8 yesterday and I didn't have any problems getting to to run. Just providing this info (see pictures) in case there's something that visually helps. I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot because I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Attachments

• LibraryExtensions.png
    LibraryExtensions.png
    388 KB · Views: 77
  • SMC_1.0.8.png
    SMC_1.0.8.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 87
Back