Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ,

I switched my system over to iMac19,1 with no other changes and still had the same Black Screen on Sidecar.
Interesting enough I lost access to Bluetooth (simply disappeared) during this test. I moved back to iMacPro1,1 and my Bluetooth was right back.

I have iGPU disabled in UEFI, I don't have any entries for graphics in config.plist. I'm running with AptioMemoryFix.efi, no WEG, VirtualSmc, and 2 x Radeon Vega 64 Cards. My WiFi/Bluetooth is Broadcom BCM94360CD on a PCIe x1 card. Not that I think it matters, I also have an Intel dual port 10Gbps Ethernet card (PCIe x4).
When used wirelessly, SideCar works over Bluetooth instead of WiFi. Please try moving the Broadcom adapter to a x4 PCIe slot. You'll have to temporarily remove the 10Gbps Ethernet card. The Fenvi FV-T919 seems to work well in x1 slots, but others may be better suited to x4 slots.

Sorry guys to hijack the "sidecar hype" , but noticed VirtualSMC was updated to 1.08, so went to give it a try, but still no luck with my build, keep getting the infamous "AppleACPICPU" and later a nice black screen,

(btw, I'm still in Mojave)
Please remind us again:
  • Is Mojave 10.14.6 already installed and working?
  • Is the "AppleACPICPU" error happening when attempting to upgrade Mojave to Catalina? Or...
  • Is the "AppleACPICPU" error happening when attempting a fresh installation of Catalina?
  • Are you copying the EFI driver as well (VirtualSmc.efi --> CLOVER/drivers/UEFI)?

Please remind us again:
  • Is Mojave 10.14.6 already installed and working?
  • Is the "AppleACPICPU" error happening when attempting to upgrade Mojave to Catalina? Or...
  • Is the "AppleACPICPU" error happening when attempting a fresh installation of Catalina?
  • Are you copying the EFI driver as well (VirtualSmc.efi --> CLOVER/drivers/UEFI)?

I'm in Mojave 10.4.6, I'm not installing Catalina , I'm just trying again to update VirtualSMC to 1.08, because 1.07 never worked in my build , funny enought 1.06 it's ok :banghead:

Few weeks ago I've posted about my issues with 1.07, @CaseySJ , you gave some tips then ( thanks again!)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1994248

So I wonder if anyone it's facing something like this with VirtualSMC, cause I've already tried all I can think about..

When used wirelessly, SideCar works over Bluetooth instead of WiFi. Please try moving the Broadcom adapter to a x4 PCIe slot. You'll have to temporarily remove the 10Gbps Ethernet card. The Fenvi FV-T919 seems to work well in x1 slots, but others may be better suited to x4 slots.
I'll give this a shot (moving the Bluetooth card), however I was able to connect to the iPad (iPad Pro 12.9 v3) over USB-C. just as an fyi...

I started getting this panic on startup after upgrading to 10.15.5 (and it continues with 10.15.6). It seems to only happen when I have 2 monitors plugged in and the second monitor is a TV. When I hit the reset button it reboots with no problem into OSX every time. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm guessing it's a graphics issue. EFI attached

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • EFI.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 69
Looking good!

Sure; just click here.

Pro A/V applications can indeed see a significant bump in performance with iMac19,1. However, keeping iMac18,3 may still allow you to set CPU ID to 0x1005 as explained in the previous link. I have not tested this myself, however.
Thanks again @CaseySJ The 1005 CPU ID doesn't work with an 18,3 SMBIOS. Not surprised though... I'll probably try the 19,1 SMBIOS on a spare drive and compare performance in Logic.

My main concern is AU/VST plugin authorization... (I have a TON)
Although I've seen people say you can paste your old serial back in to a different SMBIOS this seems like an easy way to increase the chance of Apple flagging the machine. Has anyone successfully done this or is it still unknown if this is a bad idea?

Also if you change your SMBIOS using the normal way (using the correct serial number etc), does this have any of the same risks?

My Experience Performing
In-Place Upgrade of Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15

After performing the upgrade last night, here's a quick summary of my experience. At times I was certain that the upgrade process had crashed or frozen, but in fact it worked. Here's how it went...
  • My SMBIOS: Mac mini 8,1 (with VirtualSMC)
  • Made a full bootable backup of the Mojave SSD.
  • Because my home or user folder is on a different SSD, I made the following backups of that drive:
    • Time Machine.
    • Acronis Backup to Network Attached Storage (NAS).
  • Began the Catalina upgrade from System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • This was an approximately 8.09 GB download.
  • Catalina installer opened a window in Mojave and began the preparation work.
    • When ready, it asked for a reboot.
    • The real install begins after the reboot.
  • When machine rebooted, there were new boot volumes at the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Selected Boot macOS Install from Mojave
    • The standard black screen with a single Apple logo appeared, along with standard boot progress bar.
    • A little past the midway point those short purple horizontal lines appeared.
      • These lines are a symptom of GPU VRAM testing. Nothing to worry about.
    • However, it took almost 5 full minutes before the screen finally switched to a white background and "Installing MacOS Catalina" appeared.
      • I thought the system had crashed or frozen, but glad I waited.
  • Phase 1 of the installation began.
    • The message on screen stated:
      • 25 Minutes Remaining, and then jumped directly to...
      • 16 Minutes Remaining, and then after another long pause (maybe 8 minutes or so) jumped back to...
      • 25 Minutes Remaining.
    • During this entire phase, the progress bar was stuck at about the first letter "l" in Installing MacOS Catalina.
    • It seems this first phase is analogous to the sudden-reboot first phase of Mojave.
    • Anyway, the system auto-rebooted (no graceful countdown) with "25 Minutes Remaining".
  • Back at the Clover Boot Menu, I selected once again:
    • Boot macOS Install from Mojave
  • Phase 2 of the installation began.
    • Once again it took a good 5 minutes or more before the single Apple logo gave way to the white background and the message:
      • "25 Minutes Remaining"
    • And now the progress bar moved forward in a the familiar, normal manner.
    • And the remaining time indicator moved normally as well.
    • Finally there was the familiar graceful countdown for a final reboot.
    • The keyboard and mouse were not responsive during this entire phase.
    • When the countdown ended, it took another 20-30 seconds to reboot the computer automatically.
  • Now back once more at the Clover Boot Menu, the Boot macOS Install from Mojave option was gone (which is, of course, the correct behavior).
    • This is the indication that the setup is complete.
  • I selected Boot macOS from Mojave (will rename the SSD later).
    • Logged into Catalina.
    • Followed a couple of welcome screens.
    • And the system was up and running.
Tested the following -- all successful:
  • Sound
  • WiFi / Biuetooth
  • Handoff / Continuity
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Reboot / Shutdown
  • Network
  • Thunderbolt
However:
  • SideCar on iPad Pro 11" showed only black screen.
    • I have Fenvi FV-T919.
    • Will switch SMBIOS to iMac 19,1 later today or tomorrow.
Some Impressions of Catalina:
  • When connecting an iPad, iPhone or other iOS device, it appears directly in Finder and can be managed through Finder.
    • This enhances the sense of integration between macOS and iOS devices. It's a very welcome change.
  • The new Music app begins by updating the iTunes library and it seems to download new artwork (album covers).
    • Nice to see the former "corporate giant" called iTunes broken up into a handful of more elegant and streamlined applications.
  • The new Photos app also updates the previous Photos library. This can take some time so make sure the computer doesn't sleep or reboot (as an extra precaution).
    • One of the Catalina Public Betas corrupted my Photos library during the update procedure. Thankfully I had a backup.
  • The new Mail app also updates the previous Mail database. This happens relatively quickly.
  • There's a lot more yet to discover (much of it is under the hood), but overall first impressions are quite positive.
I just installed Catalina on an additional backup of my working Mojave installation (iMac 19,1). During my install I had a pretty smooth progress bar counting down from 26 minutes (nothing like in CaseySJ's post described). The system also did not restart. After the installation process I started from the external disks MacOS portion (no Installation partition left) and had one more progress bar of 9 minutes with the Apple logo before I could log in.
There is a chance, though, that I just missed the first phase, as I initially had one problem:
During the first boot of the installer, my screen just went black after the verbose went through (a lot longer then usual with some problems detected. So, after a few minutes I just shut the PC down, thinking it wouldn't work. But in fact, it was just Display Port causing problems again! Switching to DVI, I suddenly saw the system was already installing! DP is again not working in Catalina for me, although the update of WEG, AppleALC and Lilu had fixed it just a few days ago. So, I might just have missed the first phase on the screen, however, I only waited for about 5 minutes ...
Edit: Display port returned to working order in the OS after running Kext Utility once more.

Regarding Catalina, everything I checked worked well, including Sidecar!

One strange coincidence I just noticed (it is also on my Mojave Install, however ...):

I have no memory tab on the "About This Mac"-Screen. Yet, the full 128gb is working since applying the trick I learned from here.
Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 22.22.49.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Here's an odd one (for me). I discovered today I do not have Quick Look. If I try to QL a .jpg the image opens gray and just sits there with the wheel spinning.

In BIOS, Internal Graphics was "Auto" so I changed it to "Enabled". On reboot, I get to:

Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed
Error allocating 0x11c78 pages at 0x0000000006bac000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

If I set Internal Graphics back to "Auto" or "Disabled", boot is just fine but no QL and VideoProc reports no hardware acceleration for HEVC or H.264 (Vega 64 dGPU).

Inject Intel is disabled (unchecked) in Clover -> Graphics (note: even with it checked, if I enable iGPU in BIOS, same error on boot)

Boot args are:

dart=0
-v
slide=0
debug=0x100
keepsyms=1
-disablegfxfirmware
darkwake=0
shikigva=60

I'm using iMac19,1

Any thoughts?

I just installed Catalina on an additional backup of my working Mojave installation (iMac 19,1). During my install I had a pretty smooth progress bar counting down from 26 minutes (nothing like in CaseySJ's post described). The system also did not restart. After the installation process I started from the external disks MacOS portion (no Installation partition left) and had one more progress bar of 9 minutes with the Apple logo before I could log in.
There is a chance, though, that I just missed the first phase, as I initially had one problem:
During the first boot of the installer, my screen just went black after the verbose went through (a lot longer then usual with some problems detected. So, after a few minutes I just shut the PC down, thinking it wouldn't work. But in fact, it was just Display Port causing problems again! Switching to DVI, I suddenly saw the system was already installing! DP is again not working in Catalina for me, although the update of WEG, AppleALC and Lilu had fixed it just a few days ago. So, I might just have missed the first phase on the screen, however, I only waited for about 5 minutes ...
Edit: Display port returned to working order in the OS after running Kext Utility once more.

Regarding Catalina, everything I checked worked well, including Sidecar!

One strange coincidence I just noticed (it is also on my Mojave Install, however ...):

I have no memory tab on the "About This Mac"-Screen. Yet, the full 128gb is working since applying the trick I learned from here.
View attachment 429552

My experience was similar up to a point. Cloned my Mojave to an SSD, upgraded lilu, weg etc. Booted from clone, downloaded Catalina from software upgrade and started process. Installer restarted booted in to Install from Catalina etc. After a few minutes saw the installer screen which counted down smoothly from 26 minutes. Rebooted and no more installer choice, just boot from Catalina. Did this and got Apple logo and progress indicator but no progress. Tried again. Same, no progress. An hour has passed. No progress.
Any ideas anyone?

I started getting this panic on startup after upgrading to 10.15.5 (and it continues with 10.15.6). It seems to only happen when I have 2 monitors plugged in and the second monitor is a TV. When I hit the reset button it reboots with no problem into OSX every time. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm guessing it's a graphics issue. EFI attached

@CaseySJ is the one with the most experience (obviously), but as I learn I might be able to help with some issues. I looked at your EFI and right off the bat I see that you've likely updated Clover from an older version to a newer version. That's because you've got duplicate drivers.

From first glance, they also have differing dates and might be different versions. You're also using ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and ApfsDriverLoader.efi. Only one of them is likely loading and I don't know which one Clover will pick first. But, you essentially need to consolidate your drivers I bet.

If you're using Clover version higher than 46XX then you'll need to use CLOVER/drivers/UEFI and not the older CLOVER/drivers64 or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folders.

That's where I would start at least.

Maybe one of the other Hackintoshers can chime on on the [drivername]-64.efi vs without the "-64". Yes, I can guess it's 64 bit, but is there now a requirement for 64 bit drivers for Catalina since it's 64 bit only?

Attachments

• Consolidate.png
    Consolidate.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 58
Back