Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

thanks for the look, it seems though that my problem is KERNAL_TASK - high CPU usage, but I really don't, so I think its a random kexts that's doing it, any ideas about that!? I've googled, YouTube etc
I recently faced a couple of random crashes and each time it happened, I noticed that CPU temps were very high. So I disconnected the All-in-One liquid cooler from the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, used a blower to dissipate built-up dust (why not?), then reconnected the CPU_FAN header and power supply to the AIO. Since then the problem has not recurred.

I also notice that during system start, all CPUs are maxed out for a few seconds, which causes a significant rise in temps. I suspect that Chrome and the Google Backup and Sync app might be at fault. I'll disable various Login Items one by one to identify the culprit.

Your situation could be similar. Maybe the CPU Fan is not keeping up with increases in CPU temps. Or maybe there's an offending application that is spiking CPU usage.

I would check hardware connections first and then try to isolate software components one by one. If you have an early bootable backup -- such as shortly after setting up the system -- then it may be a good idea to boot from that backup disk (not to restore from the backup, but just to boot directly from the backup).

Yet another suggestion is to perform another installation of MacOS onto a spare 256GB or 128GB SSD. We can use external USB 3 enclosures to house the SSD. With a fresh installation, we can run Safari first (without installing Chrome or Firefox) and play a lot of YouTube videos to determine if the problem exists even on a clean system...

I recently faced a couple of random crashes and each time it happened, I noticed that CPU temps were very high. So I disconnected the All-in-One liquid cooler from the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, used a blower to dissipate built-up dust (why not?), then reconnected the CPU_FAN header and power supply to the AIO. Since then the problem has not recurred.

I also notice that during system start, all CPUs are maxed out for a few seconds, which causes a significant rise in temps. I suspect that Chrome and the Google Backup and Sync app might be at fault. I'll disable various Login Items one by one to identify the culprit.

Your situation could be similar. Maybe the CPU Fan is not keeping up with increases in CPU temps. Or maybe there's an offending application that is spiking CPU usage.

I would check hardware connections first and then try to isolate software components one by one. If you have an early bootable backup -- such as shortly after setting up the system -- then it may be a good idea to boot from that backup disk (not to restore from the backup, but just to boot directly from the backup).

Yet another suggestion is to perform another installation of MacOS onto a spare 256GB or 128GB SSD. We can use external USB 3 enclosures to house the SSD. With a fresh installation, we can run Safari first (without installing Chrome or Firefox) and play a lot of YouTube videos to determine if the problem exists even on a clean system...
thanks for this info, its been driving me completely mad, this is my first hackintosh build all parts are bran-spanking new, only been put together in a shape of a computer for 6-7 days!

I've just done a complete re-install system and apps, so far there is NO sign of a Kernel_Task in the activity monitor. CPU temp is holding steady, and temp looks ok... I did start to think that maybe I hadn't installed the water cooler for the cpu correctly, but if not I'm sure the computer would of exploded or not even started up!

I now have a brand new SSD 2TB with a complete new system Mojave 10.14.6 - lets hope it rocks! I'll report back!

thanks for this info, its been driving me completely mad, this is my first hackintosh build all parts are bran-spanking new, only been put together in a shape of a computer for 6-7 days!

I've just done a complete re-install system and apps, so far there is NO sign of a Kernel_Task in the activity monitor. CPU temp is holding steady, and temp looks ok... I did start to think that maybe I hadn't installed the water cooler for the cpu correctly, but if not I'm sure the computer would of exploded or not even started up!

I now have a brand new SSD 2TB with a complete new system Mojave 10.14.6 - lets hope it rocks! I'll report back!
Fingers crossed...

This is also a good time to make a bootable backup. Should the problem occur again after a few apps and drivers and devices have been installed, one can immediately go back to a known good state.

Fingers crossed...

This is also a good time to make a bootable backup. Should the problem occur again after a few apps and drivers and devices have been installed, one can immediately go back to a known good state.
ok, so just got my kernel_task back with a system crash... it happened when I added a external disk SATA (not solid state) and used carbon copy... and without the disk and carbon copy deleted the kernel_task stays in place.

ok, so just got my kernel_task back with a system crash... it happened when I added a external disk SATA (not solid state) and used carbon copy... and without the disk and carbon copy deleted the kernel_task stays in place.
Hmm, something is very fishy.

Bad memory DIMMs? How many modules do you have? Are they Corsair Vengeance LPX?

There’s a utility called MemTest that might be worth running. Googling for “memtest” will bring up the link. There have been several reports of system instability due to bad memory modules in this thread.

Also try running the system with a single module.

I agree but the display quality is incredible. I've had many 4k monitors, but until you get to 500 nits and 100% P3 there is no match. Got mine used for under $500!

So who's buying this to test? :lol:

I can verify that you CANNOT run current version at 5K - not happening with single DP 1.4

@CaseySJ looks like it's the older model second hand, maybe that's why he had a 20gbps cable!

@CaseySJ looks like it's the older model second hand, maybe that's why he had a 20gbps cable!
However, have a look at these photos I took this past January of the 2018 Mac Mini connected to previous gen LG 5K.

It shows link speed of 20 Gbps and width of x2. Default scaled resolution for this monitor is the same as JayShay reported.

Because these photos were taken at an Apple Store, I believe they used the cable that comes in the LG box.

DC6630C7-9EFF-4A2E-9F33-8AD0352E0814.jpeg

64358E91-9114-4B45-B121-3569F4B87533.jpeg

yeah, I have old model. Was this 40Gbps test based on having the new one? This monitor works at 5K with my 2018 iPad Air with the 20 Gbps cable.

Back