Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@joevt,

This suggests that even a real Mac connected via TB3 to an LG 5K is sending a 4K signal from the video card to the monitor, and that signal is being scaled up to 5K by the monitor.

However, we don’t know whether JayShay and Bobbert are using a 40 Gbps cable, and whether that cable would make a difference.

Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in image quality if the video card sent a 5K signal, thereby omitting two of the three scaling operations? Namely: MacOS would scale 2560x1440 into a 5K framebuffer that would be sent as-is to the monitor. What’s happening now is the scaling-down of this framebuffer to 4K and a subsequent scaling-up to 5K.

In effect, we are trying to determine whether this Hackintosh interfaces the same way as a real Mac to the LG 5K. If it does, then we have nothing to complain about!

Edit: Homework assignment for LG 5K owners: It would be interesting to see what happens when scaling is turned off and we set the resolution to 5K. Hence, "UI Looks Like" will also be 5K for very tiny text.

Last edited:
Hello CaseySJ, I have a question, from no were my PC showing me this messges, I can over ride the booting but every time I restart i have to don this,
20180722_124935.thumb.jpg.1250da77ff8bd47c78042d12c0a9950c.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Isn't the LG Ultrafine 5k includes a 40gbps cable?
The Apple website simply says 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable included in the box.

@JayShay, have you tried using full 5K resolution (not scaled to 2560x1440)? Text will be tiny, but it would be interesting to see the SwitchResX screenshot. Can you please run the following command in Terminal and upload the file AGDCDiagnose_a.txt from the Documents folder?
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > ~/Documents/AGDCDiagnose_a.txt

interesting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.07.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.07.43 PM.png
    725.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.09.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.09.22 PM.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 80
Hello CaseySJ, I have a question, from no were my PC showing me this messges, I can over ride the booting but every time I restart i have to don this,View attachment 421794
Thanks for your help.
@qmediaservices I've got that once. I simply reconfigured the BIOS accordingly to the OP.
@qmediaservices, I would suggest the following:
  • Reset CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard with a flathead screwdriver. Please consult the Designare user manual for the "CMOS Reset" procedure.
  • If that fails, re-flash the BIOS. Right now I still recommend F6 (not F7). Then configure BIOS parameters again starting with "Load Optimized Defaults".
  • If that also fails, check the bottom right corner of the motherboard. There are 4 LEDs in a 2x2 array corresponding to CPU, GPU, Memory, and Boot. Do all 4 LEDs turn off? If not, which one(s) remain on?
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 7.58.16 AM.png

Thanks for your help. I will try that.

Back