Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It’s not because of the Keyboard Preference. This is set correctly with the option disabled. It seems to be limited to the new Apple Magic Keyboard. With an older keyboard it works fine.
Does it require Fn even on a real Mac?

And does it require Fn on the Hackintosh regardless of whether the 4th checkbox in the Keyboard Preferences is On or Off?

Thank you for your welcome and your quick reply @CaseySJ !
Just one note, I can see them in IOregistryExplorer:

But there are no useful data associated with it. (for example CurrentPowerState is always 0x0)

Thank you for your welcome and your quick reply @CaseySJ !
Just one note, I can see them in IOregistryExplorer:

View attachment 402752

But there are no useful data associated with it. (for example CurrentPowerState is always 0x0)
Correct -- the five FAN devices are probably being created by FakeSMC as placeholders. I believe I see the same 5 devices in every IOReg output.

Does it require Fn even on a real Mac?
Well, I guess it shouldn’t – at least not on an iMac or iMac Pro.
And does it require Fn on the Hackintosh regardless of whether the 4th checkbox in the Keyboard Preferences is On or Off?
With the new Apple Magic Keyboard it requires Fn on the Hackintosh with the checkbox off. It doesn’t require Fn with the checkbox on, but then of course all the other function keys (like Exposé or Volume) do require Fn instead.

So could it be that the HEX code for these keys has changed for the new models? It just behaves as if the "Enable dim keys by Wern" patch wasn’t recognized.

Newbie question. At idle my MSI RX580 gets to 54C, but its own fans are not spinning.. They spin on reboot, spin while in bios , but once machine boots they stop. I have read this is possibly normal. I have not pushed it hard yet to see if they come on under a big load.. thought maybe I would check here first before stressing it to death :) power connector is connected.

Additional: When rendering video Premiere got 700% CPU and fans came on.. -- still wonder why 54C is a "idle" temp

thanks in advance
All of what you've described is normal behaviour.

AMD cards generally have aggressive fan curves and idle around 50°C with fans off because that's the 'target' they've set in the GPU's VBIOS. You can manually tune this yourself with VBIOS editing or with third-party software. Some people prefer a more gentle fan curve by having a slow spinning (near inaudible) fan that kicks in early and ramps up slowly, so they make changes accordingly to achieve that.

As for fans spinning on reboot, while in BIOS etc, that's also normal. You'll notice your CPU fan and temp readings will also be higher than idle.
@skittlebrau
In my case the fans of the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse are typically not running at all using macOS 10.14.5. While using e.g. a web browser the fans spin up for maybe 2 seconds and it's getting noisy. Using Win10 I don't see this behaviour.

I would prefer to have them running constantly with 20-30%. Any idea how to achieve this?

Thanks...
I’ll check the fan and temperature behavior of my MSI RX 580 later this evening. I’ve used this card for months without noticing anything unusual, but I can certainly do some careful observations and report my findings.
You are all quite right: My MSI RX 580 is exhibiting the same behavior. Fans are off. Idle temperature is hovering around 86-98F or 30-37C. Even at 122F or 50C the fans are still. There's good airflow inside the case, however, with three 140mm intake fans and three 140mm exhaust fans. In all these months of using the system, there has never been any indication of a problem with the graphics card.

Just one question: no fans are reported through iStats or HWMonitor (even when trying with the alternate X99 FakeSMC sensors). Do you have the same problem ? (I'm using the Z390 Designare too, no problems with the kexts, they load, I've the temperatures but not the fan stats)
Fan Speeds are not currently displayed by iStat Menus or HWMonitor. This is a fairly common question so I'll make this point clear in the build guide.
FYI, Installation Notes have now been updated (last paragraph of the section).

Hey Guys,

An initial test (20 minutes of recording) worked on the Presonus Quantum via the Apple Thunderbolt 3/2 Adapter straight to the TB3 connector on the Designare...
You didn't have any issues with dart=0 flag and VT-d activated? The driver on the Quantum and my VRS-8 typically have trouble attaching to the device because it requires physical memory space within the first 256MB of contiguous memory. The only way I was successful to get Slate VRS-8 to work is by enabling VT-d in BIOS AND removing dart=0 flag in Config, but that was on the ASUS Z270 board. Not having any luck on the Designare.

Sorry for writing, I use a translator because I'm Italian
After updating my components.
has more than 3 months that my computer restarts causal and is not stable
My components:
-Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
-CPU intel i9 9900k
-Samsung MZ-V6E1T0BW SSD 960 EVO, 1TB, M.2, NVMe
-SAPPHIRE Nitro + Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB
-Corsair Vengeance LPX Memories (4 X 8 GB), DDR4, 3200 MHz, C16 XMP total 32
-Abwb 802.11AC Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.0 PCI Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS for Hackintosh --- Mac -Cooler Master CM 690 III Green Case PC 'ATX, microATX, USB 3.0, with side window' CMS-693-GWN1
-Cooler MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB, water-cooled with dual-chamber pump MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1
-Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB Power Supply 850 W, Modular 80+ Bronze, Black
Mojave operating system 10.14.4
Bios iMec19.1
Can you help me please

Sorry for writing, I use a translator because I'm Italian
After updating my components.
has more than 3 months that my computer restarts causal and is not stable
My components:
-Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
-CPU intel i9 9900k
-Samsung MZ-V6E1T0BW SSD 960 EVO, 1TB, M.2, NVMe
-SAPPHIRE Nitro + Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB
-Corsair Vengeance LPX Memories (4 X 8 GB), DDR4, 3200 MHz, C16 XMP total 32
-Abwb 802.11AC Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.0 PCI Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS for Hackintosh --- Mac -Cooler Master CM 690 III Green Case PC 'ATX, microATX, USB 3.0, with side window' CMS-693-GWN1
-Cooler MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB, water-cooled with dual-chamber pump MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1
-Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB Power Supply 850 W, Modular 80+ Bronze, Black
Mojave operating system 10.14.4
Bios iMec19.1
Can you help me please
Hello @Leonardo27,

This thread is for anyone who used the build guide in post #1 to build their system. If you followed a different build guide, please direct your questions to the Mojave Desktop Support forum. Just create a new thread there, mention my name as @CaseySJ (so I get a notification), describe the problem, compress and upload your CLOVER folder, and I'll be happy to try and help.

I successfully activated Power Nap by setting darkwave=10 and checking the PluginType checkbox under Acpi in the config.plist in Clover Configurator. Wake and sleep are still working perfectly and Power Nap works just as on a real Mac!

Back