Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Interesting. I do see some unpredictable behavior using an x16 with a Twin. Occasionally mid session (haven't found the pattern just yet) the Twin will do a little hunt for the sample rate. It won't disconnect, but it does drop out and click away until lands back at the desired rate.
Quite awhile ago, I posted some descriptions of my Audio MIDI setup and Sound Control panel. It was not a popular post, but I maintain that it is the best practice (for a DAW workstation) to maintain common or ideal sample rates, and to disable system sleep and system sounds. This kind of setup is serving me very well whether it's Pro Tools or Logic.

Attachments

• AM_Main Device.png
    AM_Main Device.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 41
  • AM_PT Agg.png
    AM_PT Agg.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 42
  • System Pref_SFX.png
    System Pref_SFX.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 42
  • System Pref_Sound Input.png
    System Pref_Sound Input.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
  • System Pref_Sound Output.png
    System Pref_Sound Output.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes, but you might also consider trying the D-Link DUB-E250, which is much cheaper (only $20) and less clunky than the two-adapter solution.

I tried it after reading a post at a MacRumors forum that it didn't place heavy loads on the CPU, and so far that's been the case for me. Maybe this is because it uses a Realtek 8156b chipset (instead of 8156), but that's just a guess.
Currently unavailable. But thanks for the tip.

I'm running Monterey now. There is a new Pro Tools update which is shockingly good. I removed my Eucon stuff (IDR which version) back when I was on Mojave because it was causing problems. I don't use any plugins within Pro Tools except for the VSL Server. All of the output busses go to the Virtual channels, and I only activate the Master Bus in Pro Tools when I mix down.
Which version of Pro Tools exactly and what is so shockingly good about it? Ultimate or plain vanilla?

Which version of Pro Tools exactly and what is so shockingly good about it? Ultimate or plain vanilla?
New Vanilla= Pro Tools Studio, but "Artist" is plenty. Avid "upgraded" a bunch of us perpetual vanilla license holders to "Pro Tools Studio" v22.4.0.168 which is now a light-version of Ultimate. A lot of the 6101-type errors and other time-out errors and annoyances seem to have been addressed (we'll see...) In recent versions, there has been a control panel to counteract some fighting over core usage. See the attachment for my settings which seems to have stabilized my projects in PT 2021.12 and 2022.4.

Not doing this now, but when I was using the previous version (Pro_Tools_2021.12), if I really wanted to be sure that the program would behave, I'd use a special BIOS setup where the Z390 i9 9900KS runs flat-out, but down-clocked to 4.4 GHz (and a vcore of something like 1.18V) (turbo) on all cores, but with RTH and EIST Speedstep disabled. My RAM is 2666MHz native, but set to XMP1 2666MHz no matter the BIOS setting.

If I'm really having stability problems with Avid stuff, I'll run it from an admin account that has no iCloud services. I always go through new OS setups and turn off everything in Notification Center: IMO, there are generally too many fluffy and intrusive default "services" running in MacOS –and Windows.

Attachments

• jiffy-pt-session-setup.png
    jiffy-pt-session-setup.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 34
Simply follow this guide to install Big Sur from scratch:

This guide is also available from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1:

View attachment 544868
I have gone through your instructions several times, but unfortunately had no luck. After I created the flash drive, it does not boot. At first I thought it was the bios version and updated it to F9j. No boot.
Then I noticed that the EFI directory on the flash drive was duplicated (EFI/EFI/OC, etc.) and deleted it - no success.

Maybe I missed something significant. could you take a look at my EFI?

(Z390 Designare, Intel Core i9-9900K, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56, Fenvi FV-T919)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 44
I have gone through your instructions several times, but unfortunately had no luck. After I created the flash drive, it does not boot. At first I thought it was the bios version and updated it to F9j. No boot.
Then I noticed that the EFI directory on the flash drive was duplicated (EFI/EFI/OC, etc.) and deleted it - no success.

Maybe I missed something significant. could you take a look at my EFI?

(Z390 Designare, Intel Core i9-9900K, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56, Fenvi FV-T919)
The folder structure in the EFI partition should be:

EFI/OC
EFI/BOOT

The folder structure in the EFI partition should be:

EFI/OC
EFI/BOOT
Sorry, maybe I am cognitively too limited. Like this?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-30 um 22.19.51.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-30 um 22.19.51.png
    4 KB · Views: 37
I am having a strange behaviour of my keyboard.Everytime the boot loader opens I have to press a key to wake it and then select the boot disk (I have triple boot) and later the same when I have to enter my password.
I am using OC 0.80 do I have to modify something in config.plist to fix it?

Sorry, maybe I am cognitively too limited. Like this?
Yes, you got it. There should be only one folder named EFI and it should be at the root level.

I am having a strange behaviour of my keyboard.Everytime the boot loader opens I have to press a key to wake it and then select the boot disk (I have triple boot) and later the same when I have to enter my password.
I am using OC 0.80 do I have to modify something in config.plist to fix it?
  • What is the make and model of the keyboard?
  • Is it connected via USB?
  • Has it always had this problem?

Back