Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @khaoskosmos,

During screen video recording there will be a new icon on the menu bar (a red icon) to alert you that recoding is taking place. Simply click on that icon to stop the recording and then the file will be saved.

Have you already tried that?
Yes. I don't really think this is user error (I use the screen clip and quicktime screen record frequently), there is something going on where I cannot capture clips (video or still) of my desktop using either Quicktime or the screen clipping shortcuts. OBS (open broadcast system) has no problem recording my desktop.

This happened after 0.7.2 OC update (0.7.1 OC update screwed up USB ports for me, but I was posting screen clips here). I also enabled VT-d (now disabled in bios, no help).

HOW TO RE-ENABLE "RE-Size BAR" SUPPORT

NOTE: As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), macOS will NOT work if this is Enabled and/or... this option may not be available in Z390 BIOS F9i / F9i (modified).

UPDATE: I just checked on F9i. First, this version is no longer available on the Gigabyte web site. Second, this version does NOT have Re-Size BAR support.

I got this working in F9j, which is NOT supported by this thread, F9i (modified) is to be used for a perfectly working Hackintosh (available in this thread).

Does anyone ever remember seeing the Re-Bar setting towards the top of the "Boot" menu screen in BIOS? Either I do, or I am mixing it up possibly with my TRX40 Designare MB (which I can't verify at the moment for lack of a CPU).

At any rate, for the Z390 Designare, with OEM BIOS version F9j, to enable Re-BAR, you MUST first Enable "Above 4G Decoding" under the BIOS "IO Ports", "Settings" tab!

I know I have NEVER seen this setting here before, this is news to me. I discovered it quite by accident, and was completely surprised when it magically appeared below, after enabling "Above 4G Decoding".

In my case, with my EVGA video card, I was able to use Precision X1 to verify all was working.

Thank you to all who replied to help me with this. I really appreciate it! :thumbup:

Attachments

• 210829204043.jpg
    210829204043.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Enabling Re-sizable BAR.jpg
    Enabling Re-sizable BAR.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Re-sizeable BAR Enable check.jpg
    Re-sizeable BAR Enable check.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
At any rate, for the Z390 Designare, with OEM BIOS version F9j, to enable Re-BAR, you MUST first Enable "Above 4G Decoding" under the BIOS "Settings" tab!

I know I have NEVER seen this setting here before, this is news to me. I discovered it quite by accident, and was completely surprised when it magically appeared below, after enabling "Above 4G Decoding".

I believe it is a prerequisite for Resizable Bar that Above 4G Decoding has to be enabled first. This is not specific to this MB or BIOS version but to all.

HOW TO RE-ENABLE "RE-Size BAR" SUPPORT

NOTE: As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), macOS will NOT work if this is Enabled and/or... this option may not be available in Z390 BIOS F9i / F9i (modified).

UPDATE: I just checked on F9i. First, this version is no longer available on the Gigabyte web site. Second, this version does NOT have Re-Size BAR support.

I got this working in F9j, which is NOT supported by this thread, F9i (modified) is to be used for a perfectly working Hackintosh (available in this thread).

Does anyone ever remember seeing the Re-Bar setting towards the top of the "Boot" menu screen in BIOS? Either I do, or I am mixing it up possibly with my TRX40 Designare MB (which I can't verify at the moment for lack of a CPU).

At any rate, for the Z390 Designare, with OEM BIOS version F9j, to enable Re-BAR, you MUST first Enable "Above 4G Decoding" under the BIOS "IO Ports", "Settings" tab!

In my case, with my EVGA video card, I was able to use Precision X1 to verify all was working.

Thank you to all who replied to help me with this. I really appreciate it! :thumbup:
Hey there. I noticed in your BIOS shots that CFG Lock is enabled. Are you leaving it on only for Windows boot?

After a power outage, I got a "macOS can't repair the disk" error. I tried running disk repair and got this:

Repairing file system
Volume could not be unmounted
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -s /dev/rdisk2s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid record count
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Restoring the original state found
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

According to online instructions, I tried to boot into safe mode (shift key) and recovery mode (command R) but neither worked. Are these options unavailable in opencore? Please advise.
Back up, but no AUDIO.

To solve my problem, I had to clone my hard drive onto an external. Then I erased and repaired my original and cloned the external copy back onto the internal drive. At first, everything seemed to work, but it's a little janky. Last night, I woke the computer up from long sleep and no sound.

I tried using HackinDROM to reinstall OpenCore. I ran OnyX and restarted. I opened OpenCore Configurator and Hackintool and stared at them uselessly.

Would you please give me direction?

Back up, but no AUDIO.

To solve my problem, I had to clone my hard drive onto an external. Then I erased and repaired my original and cloned the external copy back onto the internal drive. At first, everything seemed to work, but it's a little janky. Last night, I woke the computer up from long sleep and no sound.

I tried using HackinDROM to reinstall OpenCore. I ran OnyX and restarted. I opened OpenCore Configurator and Hackintool and stared at them uselessly.

Would you please give me direction?
What does "no audio" mean? Does it mean:
  • No sound via speakers in your monitor (HDMI audio)?
  • No sound via headphones connected to the front panel or rear I/O audio jack?
  • No sound via Optical Digital Output connected to a self-powered speaker or home theater receiver?
  • No sound via Thunderbolt Audio Interface from companies like UAD, Antelope, PreSonus, etc.?
  • No sound via USB audio adapter?

What does "no audio" mean? Does it mean:
  • No sound via speakers in your monitor (HDMI audio)?
  • No sound via headphones connected to the front panel or rear I/O audio jack?
  • No sound via Optical Digital Output connected to a self-powered speaker or home theater receiver?
  • No sound via Thunderbolt Audio Interface from companies like UAD, Antelope, PreSonus, etc.?
  • No sound via USB audio adapter?
Neither sound via headphones connected to the front panel nor speakers plugged into the rear audio jack (green).

Shot in the dark but sure you have AppleALC in your EFI?
Yes.

EDIT: SOLVED. My stupid fault. I was testing the audio by listening for the feedback boops when changing volume. The feedback boops were turned off. Wow.

Last edited:
Back