Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Question about PC naming, I think this has to do with SMBIOS information, but I'm uncertain how to change it:

When I'm in Windows it seems that the naming of the About information is taken over from MacOS. Can I change this somehow so that my (original) hardware information is shown in Windows instead of the Mac-hardware?

Attachments

• 2021-09-01_09-25-32.png
    2021-09-01_09-25-32.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 2021-09-01_09-28-18.png
    2021-09-01_09-28-18.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 76
Question about PC naming, I think this has to do with SMBIOS information, but I'm uncertain how to change it:

When I'm in Windows it seems that the naming of the About information is taken over from MacOS. Can I change this somehow so that my (original) hardware information is shown in Windows instead of the Mac-hardware?
I guess that you are using OC? I know that a lot of people here switched to OC a long time ago but I still prefer Clover as is interferes less with my Windows installation. Still on Mojave and Clover 5099.

There is probably some setting in OC (sorry, can’t help) to avoid this?

If you want "Real" Windows... use F12 and choose your Windows partition to boot.. and not use OC Boot Picker.

I read that the 0.7.1 OC update screwed up USB ports for some folks.

I'm not sure if my problem was caused by USB but my LG ultrafine 5K stopped working after I upgrade from OC 0.6.5 to OC 0.7.2 and Big Sur 11.2 to 11.5.2
Before the upgrade, the monitor works perfectly after one reboot. I followed CaseySJ's tutorial to flash the ROM and create SSDT. Big shout out to @CaseySJ
But now, after the reboot, the peripheral USB devices won't show up. The screen won't be lit up after hotplug. Also, I'm experiencing frequent crashes.

Does anyone know where should I start the troubleshooting?

Last edited:
I guess that you are using OC? I know that a lot of people here switched to OC a long time ago but I still prefer Clover as is interferes less with my Windows installation. Still on Mojave and Clover 5099.

There is probably some setting in OC (sorry, can’t help) to avoid this?
Yes I’m indeed using oc, 0.7.2. I think I will use @xtreem.p ‘s suggestie.

I read that the 0.7.1 OC update screwed up USB ports for some folks.

I'm not sure if my problem was caused by USB but my LG ultrafine 5K stopped working after I upgrade from OC 0.6.5 to OC 0.7.2 and Big Sur 11.2 to 11.5.2
Before the upgrade, the monitor works perfectly after one reboot. I followed CaseySJ's tutorial to flash the ROM and create SSDT. Big shout out to @CaseySJ
But now, after the reboot, the peripheral USB devices won't show up. The screen won't be lit up after hotplug. Also, I'm experiencing frequent crashes.

Does anyone know where should I start the troubleshooting?
In cases like these it's always good to revert back to an earlier state. Something like this:
  • Revert back to OpenCore 0.6.5.
    • If you used HackinDROM to upgrade to 0.7.2, then a backup of 0.6.5 exists in your EFI folder.
  • If the problem is still present, then it suggests that OpenCore 0.7.2 may not be the issue.
    • In this case, if you made a full backup of Big Sur 11.2 before upgrading to 11.5.2, try booting from that backup disk.
    • Does the problem still occur?

The OpenCore boot loader does this. "Acidanthera" is of course the name of the group that develops OpenCore. Certainly booting though F12 BIOS Boot Menu bypasses OpenCore and hence Windows uses the name you expect.

So long time since I have been here, after my success with the build and getting my UAD Apollo thunderbolt 1 working I have been happily using the system but I think it's time to upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur. Looking at the guides none of them seem to have an end-to-end workflow which is fair enough, so I am wondering if the following approach is good:

1. Test my bootable backup - Done!
2. Upgrade Gigabyte BIOS - Done!
3. Replace Clover with Open Core (using this Replace mini guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2664#post-2183794 but also this, (because the link it jumps to doesn't seem to explain the four steps) for installing Opencore 6.2: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2637#post-2180651 but instead using Opencore 7.2 EFI folder.
4. Ignore the steps about "if on Mojave" or not?
5. Upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur as if on official hardware.

Am I missing something?

So long time since I have been here, after my success with the build and getting my UAD Apollo thunderbolt 1 working I have been happily using the system but I think it's time to upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur. Looking at the guides none of them seem to have an end-to-end workflow which is fair enough, so I am wondering if the following approach is good:

1. Test my bootable backup - Done!
2. Upgrade Gigabyte BIOS - Done!
3. Replace Clover with Open Core (using this Replace mini guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2664#post-2183794 but also this,
Hello @timc3,

Yes please follow the above guide, which lists the preparation steps or prerequisites. When the prep work is done, then...

(because the link it jumps to doesn't seem to explain the four steps) for installing Opencore 6.2: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2637#post-2180651 but instead using Opencore 7.2 EFI folder.
...follow this guide to install OpenCore 0.7.0 (yes, it's good to start with 0.7.0). When you open that guide, click the link shown below to install OpenCore 0.7.0 using the HackinDROM App.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 9.46.01 AM.png

5. Upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur as if on official hardware.
After the OpenCore EFI has been created and installed in the EFI partition, boot your existing Mojave disk (with OpenCore) to make sure it still boots.

If everything is okay, then perform in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

After reviewing these guides, if you have any questions please ask.

In cases like these it's always good to revert back to an earlier state. Something like this:
  • Revert back to OpenCore 0.6.5.
    • If you used HackinDROM to upgrade to 0.7.2, then a backup of 0.6.5 exists in your EFI folder.
  • If the problem is still present, then it suggests that OpenCore 0.7.2 may not be the issue.
    • In this case, if you made a full backup of Big Sur 11.2 before upgrading to 11.5.2, try booting from that backup disk.
    • Does the problem still occur?
Is this backup EFI folder hidden in the EFI partition?

Back