Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
After a power outage, I got a "macOS can't repair the disk" error. I tried running disk repair and got this:

Repairing file system
Volume could not be unmounted
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -s /dev/rdisk2s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid record count
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Restoring the original state found
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

According to online instructions, I tried to boot into safe mode (shift key) and recovery mode (command R) but neither worked. Are these options unavailable in opencore? Please advise.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After a power outage, I got a "macOS can't repair the disk" error. I tried running disk repair and got this:

Repairing file system
Volume could not be unmounted
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -s /dev/rdisk2s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid record count
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Restoring the original state found
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

According to online instructions, I tried to boot into safe mode (shift key) and recovery mode (command R) but neither worked. Are these options unavailable in opencore? Please advise.
Sorry to hear that. In OpenCore we can press <space bar> at the OpenCore Picker to reveal additional options. One of them will be Recovery.

Motherboard
ASUS X99-A
CPU
i7-5930K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
** Experiment Update #3 **
AppleVTD Side-Effects and Mitigation Strategies

Current Situation:
To extend Thunderbolt compatibility to Antelope Audio, Apple TB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and some other devices, we have found that enabling VT-d is the key.

This can be done on any Intel-based Hackintosh and does not require any special or modified BIOS. To enable VT-d, we need to do the following:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.

Side-Effects:
Unfortunately there are side-effects. Different motherboards exhibit different side-effects. Here is what we know so far:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
    • With two 8GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, there are no side-effects. Everything works.
    • With two 8GB DIMMs and one 4GB DIMM, there are also no side-effects (@Inqnuam).
    • With two 16GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • If all 4 DIMM slots are occupied with 8GB or larger DIMMs, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • According to @jiffyslot, use of Corsair LPX 2666MHz memory (16GB x 4 for total of 64GB) has no side-effects (in macOS Mojave).
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • The system does not boot when only memory slots A1 and B1 are occupied (based on using two 16GB DIMMs).
    • Later I will see what happens with two 8GB DIMMs in either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
      • Update: Everything works with two 8GB DIMMs in A2/B2 (I used G.Skill 3200MHz modules). Four of these DIMMs, however, cause WiFi/Ethernet failure.
    • With one 16GB DIMM in A2 there are no side-effects!
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II (Intel HEDT)
    • This is an Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) platform with 8 DIMM slots.
    • When 4 slots are occupied with 8GB DIMMs each (total 32GB), there are no side-effects.
@gandem
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
    • With one DIMM installed, there are no side-effects
@qthegaijin
  • Gigabyte X299 Designare EX (Intel HEDT)
    • 128GB memory (all 8 slots occupied with 16GB DIMMs)
    • There are no side-effects (running Mojave with Mojave version of IntelSmallTree82576 kext, and ReleaseUSBOwnership checked on).
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
    • USB ports stopped working, but the solution is to enable ReleaseUSBOwnership in UEFI section of OpenCore config.plist.
    • 64GB RAM using four 16GB DIMMs.
    • After making that change, there are no side-effects.
@djlild7hina
  • ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G (Intel HEDT)
    • 64GB memory using 16GB modules in 4 of 8 slots
    • There are no side-effects
@NorthAmTransAm
  • Asus Z370-A Prime II
    • Two 8GB DIMMs and no side-effects
@maschinenwart
  • ASUS Prime X299-DELUXE-3105 (Intel HEDT)
    • Four 16GB DIMMs and no side-effects
    • Corsair - CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 (memory clock manually set to 2666 MHz)
    • 4 of 8 banks occupied
Hi @CaseySJ, Unfortunately after following the instruction, my Orion studio interface still can not be connected. (interface ->TB2 CABLE - > TB2 to TB3 adapter ->ASUS TB3 PCIE card) My build is quite old, running 10.15.7 with OC 0.60.

The AppleVtd has activated. Inside config.plist, I do need to touch anything, coz the was DisableIoMapper unchecked, there is no dart=0 in Boot-Args. Is that normal?

Should I write the custom firmware for the TB3 PCIE to make it work right?

Here are some snapshot of my system. Thanks man~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.39.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.39.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.55.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.55.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.14.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.14.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.23.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.23.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 19.01.27.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 19.01.27.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 35

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ, Unfortunately after following the instruction, my Orion studio interface still can not be connected. (interface ->TB2 CABLE - > TB2 to TB3 adapter ->ASUS TB3 PCIE card) My build is quite old, running 10.15.7 with OC 0.60.

The AppleVtd has activated. Inside config.plist, I do need to touch anything, coz the was DisableIoMapper unchecked, there is no dart=0 in Boot-Args. Is that normal?

Should I write the custom firmware for the TB3 PCIE to make it work right?

Here are some snapshot of my system. Thanks man~
Hello @munky16,

Some comments and questions:
  • In your case it is not necessary to flash the firmware.
  • Are you using Asus ThunderboltEX 3 add-in-card?
  • IOReg screenshot indicates that you are not using a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT. It is advisable to have a hot plug SSDT.
  • What is the exact model name of your Asus X99 board?
  • Does your Antelope Orion have the latest firmware?
  • Are you using Catalina-approved drivers from Antelope?
  • If you connect and power on the Orion before booting macOS, does it connect?
  • Also, when you use IORegistryExplorer, please do not use the search bar. Just scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP08 and the Thunderbolt section comes into view. Then capture a screenshot.
    • (When we use search bar, the device tree collapses.)

Motherboard
ASUS X99-E WS
CPU
E5-2697 V3
Graphics
GTX 760
CaseySJ--will you or Elias be releasing instructions or modified BIOS'es for PEI/DXE drivers being inserted into the BIOS? Apologies if this is already addressed somewhere in here.

Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
Intel i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
CaseySJ--will you or Elias be releasing instructions or modified BIOS'es for PEI/DXE drivers being inserted into the BIOS? Apologies if this is already addressed somewhere in here.

I'd also be interested in doing this for X299

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good question — we modified the BIOS in hopes of achieving better Thunderbolt monitor support and enabling Antelope Audio connections. But in the process we discovered AppleVTD and the benefits that it can bring by itself.

Testing of Thunderbolt monitors with modified BIOS and/or AppleVTD showed no real improvement. AppleVTD alone is very useful, but the BIOS modifications did not appear to make a difference.

Elias is still experimenting with Thunderbolt monitors in combination with a more heavily modified BIOS, but the work is still in early stages.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
If I'm away for an extended period I always unplug the PC from the wall. Your building could have experienced a power outage. When the power surges back on is when it does the damage. On the sunny side, your board should still be covered by Gigabyte's 3 year warranty so you could get it replaced if it's a goner.
Okay, this is not good... :(

Now it's a matter of isolating components to see which one (hopefully only one) is bad.
  • If you have another PSU, we should try that first.
  • But if you don't, then we can try something like this:
    • Flip PSU to OFF
    • Remove GPU
    • Remove WiFi/BT card
    • Remove memory DIMMs
    • Flip PSU to ON
  • Try to boot. Which of the 4 LEDs light up, if any?
  • If nothing lights up, then:
    • Flip PSU to OFF
    • Remove CPU (yes, remove CPU)
    • Flip PSU to ON
  • Try to boot. Which of the 4 LEDs light up, if any?
P.S. Statistically speaking, the PSU is most likely to have gone bad, particularly if you are not using a surge protector or uninterruptible power supply (UPS).
So I've tested a new PSU unit & removed + re-installed all the components to see if something would boot.
It seems like the MB is the culprit, which is a pain. My vendor's warranty is worn out, so I'll most probably have to send the board to gigabyte and hope that they'll replace it. T_T

Is there a board I could replace / upgrade it with to be able to work again? My system is almost the EXACT same as the build here (only the RAM is not the same brand). I need TB to use with my Universal Audio interfaces.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Is there a board I could replace / upgrade it with to be able to work again?
I'll defer to CaseySJ to make a suggestion. I'm not yet using any 9th gen systems so I'm not sure what will be best for you. Ideally Gigabyte gives you a Z390 Designare replacement. Your i7-9700K won't work with a Z490 board so hopefully GA gives you another Z390 or you'd need a new CPU too.

Last edited: