Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Right but he's on macOS 10.15.7 and mostly in 48k
Likely the BIOS settings need to be set for Windows?
Yes, sorry, my bad. I updated that post with some Mac specific links. ;)

Here's a quote from UA:

"By disabling the following features, your system will run at a constant clock speed and will not halt individual cores:
  • Intel SpeedStep (or EIST)
  • Intel Turbo Boost (or Turbo Mode)
  • C-State Control (or C1E, C3, C6, C7)"
What's interesting is I have all of these enabled on my X299 and have been using Apollo without any hiccups for 3-4 years....
If those settings I have highlighted in red are different on his system, I would try my settings and see if they help. Different systems can be... very different. Also have him check his installed BIOS version.

If nothing seems to solve his issue, as a last resort:
Another thing I have had happen is corruption in BIOS / profile / NVRAM. Save a copy of his BIOS profile on a USB flash drive, then have him power off, remove coin battery, short the reset PINS, then put it all back together. First thing, go into BIOS and choose Optimized defaults, save and restart, go back into BIOS, then load back his profile. Then of course test. Once again, this is a last resort. All else should be tried first.

Last edited:
If those setting I have highlighted in red are different on his system, I would try my settings and see if they help. Different systems can be... very different. Also have him check his installed BIOS version.

If nothing seems to solve his issue, as a last resort:
Another thing I have had happen is corruption in BIOS / profile / NVRAM. Save a copy of his BIOS profile on a USB flash drive, then have him power off, remove coin battery, short the reset PINS, then put it all back together. First thing, go into BIOS and choose Optimized defaults, save and restart, go back into BIOS, then load back his profile. Then of course test. Once again, this is a last resort. All else should be tried first.
Tried all of this. We noticed that BIOS was switching back and forth between the Main and Backup randomly and got an RMA so now on a fresh mobo with all of the latest, I will have him try your suggested BIOS adjustments.

Thank you!!

Hello @CaseySJ, I just swapped my Vega 64 for a RX 580 to make a few bucks since I don't do anything graphically intensive, aside from some light gaming. I'm apreciating the less amount of heat, noise and electricity cost. But I do have a question or two:

Is there something I should know about the RX 580 in general?
Should I be using Radeon Boost with this card?

Tried all of this. We noticed that BIOS was switching back and forth between the Main and Backup randomly and got an RMA so now on a fresh mobo with all of the latest, I will have him try your suggested BIOS adjustments.

Thank you!!
One more thing I just realized.... his BIOS profile COULD be where the corruption is. So with all the problems he has had and everything tried, I would NOT reload the saved profile. Go through the pain of setting everything manually.

;)

Thanks to all who posted replies on this issue.

I figured out the problem; it was BIOS settings in "Advanced CPU Settings" (screen shot attached with working settings).

I'm a long time ReasonStudios Reason user, and now am learning Universal Audio's LUNA (which is mind blowing!) FYI - You can use Reason's Rack and all Rack Extensions / Instruments in LUNA!

With the Z390 Designare default BIOS settings, the DSP meter in Reason goes ballistic, very erratic, and Reason is unusable in that condition. Striking a balance, of finding the best configuration combination in Advanced CPU Settings for both Reason and LUNA is crucial.

I've done some quick testing with these settings both with Reason in Windows and LUNA in Big Sur, and no UAD Plug-Ins going into "Disabled" state. NICE!!

@jiffyslot if you wouldn't mind, when you have a moment, could you attach a screen shot of your Advanced CPU Settings? Thanks!

Again, thanks to all for replying about this.
Here ya' go. I use these BIOS settings for both Mojave and Big Sur. YMMV...

General Settings.gifAdvancedCPUSettings_A.gifAdvancedCPUSettings_B.gifCSM setting.gif

Hello @CaseySJ, I just swapped my Vega 64 for a RX 580 to make a few bucks since I don't do anything graphically intensive, aside from some light gaming. I'm apreciating the less amount of heat, noise and electricity cost. But I do have a question or two:

I have the Sapphire Pulse RX-580. I flipped the little switch on it's chassis to put it into "compute" mode. I don't use Radeon Boost.

Right but he's on macOS 10.15.7 and mostly in 48k
Likely the BIOS settings need to be set for Windows?
He should be able to use the hack's BIOS setting for the Windows setup if he's installed Windows with a GPT setup so that CSM is turned off. Also, my BIOS settings are password locked so that Windows can't make any, uh... helpful changes to my BIOS settings that will brick the hack. That's been my experience since I built the Z390 system.

Hello @nifranza,

The RX 580 is a great card and doesn’t require any of the baby sitting that Vega requires (i.e. fan and power curves). Nothing else has to be done because the card works extremely well out of the box. I do not recommend RadeonBoost.

I have the Sapphire Pulse RX-580. I flipped the little switch on it's chassis to put it into "compute" mode. I don't use Radeon Boost.
Thank you for your kind response. I have the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 GAMING 8G. Pretty happy with the design and cooling compared to the reference Vega design (too damn hot, loud and expensive).

Back