Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @nifranza,

The RX 580 is a great card and doesn’t require any of the baby sitting that Vega requires (i.e. fans and power curves). Nothing else has to be done because the card works extremely well out of the box. I do not recommend RadeonBoost.
Casey, thank you soooooo much for your kind words! I though I had made a huge mistake and was a little worried since all of the current mining situation surrounding these cards. Do you still have yours? (RX 580)

Casey, thank you soooooo much for your kind words! I though I had made a huge mistake and was a little worried since all of the current mining situation surrounding these cards. Do you still have yours? (RX 580)
Yes I still have my RX 580s. Like you, I don’t have very demanding uses for a GPU, but the RX 580 is still extremely capable. I could happily live with a lower end card. The RX 580 does everything I need it to, and more.

Totally agree with all said above in regards of RX 580. Truly great card for macOS.
I’m really happy with this little beast (mine is Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB).

The only thing I would highly recommend to owners of RX 580 is to change the default AMDFramebuffer to Orinoco. It will reduce the idle power consumption greatly. In my case, accordingly to HWMonitorSMC2, it went down from 70 to 30 watts.

I seem to have run into a problem which I cannot fix. I updated my Big Sur 11.1 to 11.4 and now I have lost all access to my usb ports and cannot use my keyboard/mouse. Is there anyway to fix this? I have windows on a dual boot and can access the Mac EFI from there if need be.

I seem to have run into a problem which I cannot fix. I updated my Big Sur 11.1 to 11.4 and now I have lost all access to my usb ports and cannot use my keyboard/mouse. Is there anyway to fix this? I have windows on a dual boot and can access the Mac EFI from there if need be.
  • Please check that XhciPortLimit is unchecked or disabled.
    • This can be found in config.plist --> Kernel --> Quirks.
  • Also check that SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is enabled.
    • This can be found in config.plist --> ACPI.
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 1.07.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 1.09.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Totally agree with all said above in regards of RX 580. Truly great card for macOS.
I’m really happy with this little beast (mine is Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB).

The only thing I would highly recommend to owners of RX 580 is to change the default AMDFramebuffer to Orinoco. It will reduce the idle power consumption greatly. In my case, accordingly to HWMonitorSMC2, it went down from 70 to 30 watts.
@AlexD Thank you for your comment. Regarding your comment about framebuffer. How do you do that in Opencore? Don't remember seeing that as an option. Thank you!

I'm using SSDT method and injecting the following SSDT (SSDT-RX580.aml, attached below) via ACPI->Add section of config.plist

Attachments

• SSDT-RX580.aml
    715 bytes · Views: 60
I'm using SSDT method and injecting the following SSDT (SSDT-RX580.aml, attached below) via ACPI->Add section of config.plist
I get a black screen with this. Is there a way to do it on the fly through the config.plist?

Back