Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi!

I have been following the forum for a long time and so far I have not had a problem. Now the clean installation of Big Sur fails and I can't find a solution. I don't understand the reason either.

I have a working backup of Catalina so I can try different solutions.

The Big Sur installer USB starts (oc 0.6.3) and then the installation. However, after the first restart, about 23-21 minutes before completion, the caption shown in the image will be received. I tried another usb key, tried to download the Big Sur installer again. I tried port 2.0, port 3.0. But constantly, this message is the end result.

I've searched for the bug here and in other forums, but I can't find a solution. Maybe if I understood the error, I would find a solution.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thank you very much for the answers

Peet

I believe you are experiencing the same problem as I am on my second Z390 Designare. My primary system is not affected by this.

When the macOS installer is running, you can press CMD-L to open the installer log. Within the title bar of that window is a pop-up menu from which you can choose to display All log messages. Please try that and see if the problem is something like "could not validate the file".
I believe this problem has finally been fixed by enabling BlackListAppleUpdate. The OpenCore 0.6.5 mini-guide already includes this change. I was finally able to install a macOS update on the Z390 test bench without encountering this issue. (Specifically, I updated macOS 11.1 to 11.2 public beta.)
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.07.28 AM.png

Hello guys,
the Hacki can't boot anymore after trying a cold boot.
Im going to test with an older EFI

IMG_0062.jpeg
l
EDIT:
and now I got this (didn't tried the old EFI yet)

IMG_0063.jpeg

Magically the Hacki is back!

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ! Any updates on the Thunderbolt Bus enabling SSDT's??

After Sleep, It seems to loose the thunderbolt device in the Thunderbolt report.

Yes! However Thunderbolt screen shows no drivers loaded. In my work MacBook Air it shows the ports and the dock there. I assume that is correct due to how things are handled in SSDT.
Thunderbolt Bus will appear only if we flash the firmware (Titan Ridge) or install a highly customized SSDT (Alpine Ridge). However, most users do not need Thunderbolt Bus and even with the Bus enabled, not everything will work flawlessly. In most cases it's actually best to keep the Bus disabled.
I haven't been able to connect my DP monitor though. It seems light up but it goes black again saying there's no connection.
This would require changing your Platform ID to a non-headless version. Because you're using an Intel i5 8350U (Coffee Lake), have you tried Platform ID 0x3E9B0007?

Hey @CaseySJ! Any updates on the Thunderbolt Bus enabling SSDT's??

After Sleep, It seems to loose the thunderbolt device in the thunderbolt report.
Are you using an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock? If so, does it reconnect on wake-from-sleep? Here we want to see whether the dock itself wakes from sleep instead of any devices connected to the dock. The best way to check this is by looking at IOReg as follows:
  • After wake from sleep with dock connected, run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file.
  • If any devices were connected to the dock, try disconnecting and reconnecting them after waking from sleep. Do they reconnect?
  • If not, try disconnecting the dock itself (pull out the Thunderbolt cable from the computer or the dock), wait 5 seconds, and reconnect the dock. Do any of the devices connected to the dock now appear?

This would require changing your Platform ID to a non-headless version. Because you're using an Intel i5 8350U (Coffee Lake), have you tried Platform ID 0x3E9B0007?
Actually IIRC it's labeled as kaby lake refresh. Whatevergreen guides advise to use hd 620 kaby lake platform id.

Are you using an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock? If so, does it reconnect on wake-from-sleep? Here we want to see whether the dock itself wakes from sleep instead of any devices connected to the dock. The best way to check this is by looking at IOReg as follows:
  • After wake from sleep with dock connected, run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file.
  • If any devices were connected to the dock, try disconnecting and reconnecting them after waking from sleep. Do they reconnect?
  • If not, try disconnecting the dock itself (pull out the Thunderbolt cable from the computer or the dock), wait 5 seconds, and reconnect the dock. Do any of the devices connected to the dock now appear?
I do not have the dock with me right now, but I can use the dock after sleep. However the cosmetic side (thunderbolt report) shows no devices connected.

Also tried to connect a Macbook air and my T480 using the thunderbolt cable, but got a warning notification saying that thunderbolt was required.

Actually IIRC it's labeled as kaby lake refresh. Whatevergreen guides advise to use hd 620 kaby lake platform id.
You're right. I was thinking of desktop 8xxx processors such as i5-8600K that are Coffee Lake. Have you tried the recommended Platform ID for Kaby Lake Refresh?
I do not have the dock with me right now, but I can use the dock after sleep. However the cosmetic side (thunderbolt report) shows no devices connected.
System Information --> Thunderbolt must be ignored. It's only valid when Thunderbolt Bus has been activated.
Also tried to connect a Macbook air and my T480 using the thunderbolt cable, but got a warning notification saying that thunderbolt was required.
If you connect two Macs together over a Thunderbolt cable, both of them must have Thunderbolt Bus enabled. For Titan Ridge controllers this requires flashing the firmware. For Alpine Ridge we can use an SSDT. But even after enabling Thunderbolt Bus there can and will be various issues. Each person discoveries the issues for themselves, determines whether there are any workarounds, and decides whether or not to keep Thunderbolt Bus enabled.

You're right. I was thinking of desktop 8xxx processors such as i5-8600K that are Coffee Lake. Have you tried the recommended Platform ID for Kaby Lake Refresh?
I'm actually using the recommended one. Unfortunately its the kaby lake hd 0x16590000 one.

System Information --> Thunderbolt must be ignored. It's only valid when Thunderbolt Bus has been activated.
I have a thunderbolt bus activating ssdt.

If you connect two Macs together over a Thunderbolt cable, both of them must have Thunderbolt Bus enabled. For Titan Ridge controllers this requires flashing the firmware. For Alpine Ridge we can use an SSDT. But even after enabling Thunderbolt Bus there can and will be various issues. Each person discoveries the issues for themselves, determines whether there are any workarounds, and decides whether or not to keep Thunderbolt Bus enabled.
I have the one port jhl6240, so that might be one of the issues. Nonetheless I would love to know how to proceed on that.

I'm actually using the recommended one. Unfortunately its the kaby lake hd 0x16590000 one.

I have a thunderbolt bus activating ssdt.

I have the one port jhl6240, so that might be one of the issues. Nonetheless I would love to know how to proceed on that.
Without making any promises, let's begin as follows:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
  • Please post your (a) Thunderbolt SSDT, (b) IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer, and (c) your System DSDT from MaciASL.
Keep in mind that activating Thunderbolt Bus may or may not solve the problems you mentioned. All I can do is help you activate the Bus. If you encounter problems with (a) video output, (b) sleep/wake issue, (c) device connection issues, (d) hot plug issues, and so on, I won't be able to assist.

Without making any promises, let's begin as follows:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
  • Please post your (a) Thunderbolt SSDT, (b) IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer, and (c) your System DSDT from MaciASL.
Keep in mind that activating Thunderbolt Bus may or may not solve the problems you mentioned. All I can do is help you activate the Bus. If you encounter problems with (a) video output, (b) sleep/wake issue, (c) device connection issues, (d) hot plug issues, and so on, I won't be able to assist.
I already have activated it. I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on OpenCore 0.6.4.
Nonetheless here are the files you requested, just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• System DSDT.dsl
    962.2 KB · Views: 38
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI.aml
    4.2 KB · Views: 38
  • new_t480_ioreg.ioreg
    19.3 MB · Views: 41
I already have activated it. I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on OpenCore 0.6.4.
Nonetheless here are the files you requested, just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!
Good job activating Thunderbolt Bus. Some observations:
  • Thunderbolt DROM is missing from NHI0.
  • linkDetails is also missing from NHI0.
  • ThunderboltConfig is also missing from NHI0.
To remedy these issues:
  • Do you have Linux installed on this system?
  • If so, please see this post to obtain a section of the Thunderbolt firmware using only a Linux command line.
    • The information from this will allow me to add the remaining properties into your SSDT.

Back