Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi - I'm running a flashed Titan Rridge with pin mod on my Hackintosh - due to an audio driver kernel panic, I've moved a couple of PCIe cards around which has cured the panic - the Ttitan Ridge is not booting now although its seen in IOReg - I have modified the SSDT to the best of my ability to reflect the change although I must have something wrong here. I would appreciate it if someone who's more familiar with these can help identify what I've got wrong? I'm enclosing my io reg and the TB3 SSDT....thanks in advance

Attachments

• 18thJan2020.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 40
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM1.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi - I'm running a flashed Titan Rridge with pin mod on my Hackintosh - due to an audio driver kernel panic, I've moved a couple of PCIe cards around which has cured the panic - the Ttitan Ridge is not booting now although its seen in IOReg - I have modified the SSDT to the best of my ability to reflect the change although I must have something wrong here. I would appreciate it if someone who's more familiar with these can help identify what I've got wrong? I'm enclosing my io reg and the TB3 SSDT....thanks in advance.
Please post your system DSDT:
  • MaciASL --> New from ACPI --> DSDT
The Thunderbolt tree is present, but it seems a Thunderbolt device has been connected, but it does not attach to either DSB1 or DSB4.
  • Which firmware did you flash to the GC-Titan Ridge?

Please post your system DSDT:
  • MaciASL --> New from ACPI --> DSDT
The Thunderbolt tree is present, but it seems a Thunderbolt device has been connected, but it does not attach to either DSB1 or DSB4.
  • Which firmware did you flash to the GC-Titan Ridge?
hi @CaseySJ
The one you suggested a while back with the 33 suffix I think....Elias? there are a number of devices attached to the tb ports

Attachments

• System DSDT.dsl
    388.4 KB · Views: 41
hi @CaseySJ
The one you suggested a while back with the 33 suffix I think....Elias? there are a number of devices attached to the tb ports
Good -- NVM33 is the best one to use for GC-Titan Ridge. Some background questions:
  • What is the make/model of the motherboard? (Gigabyte X79-UP4?)
  • Which slot is the Thunderbolt card in right now?
  • Which slot was the card in when it was working properly? (Except for audio issues.)
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you connecting to the card?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?

Good -- NVM33 is the best one to use for GC-Titan Ridge. Some background questions:
  • What is the make/model of the motherboard? (Gigabyte X79-UP4?)
  • Which slot is the Thunderbolt card in right now?
  • Which slot was the card in when it was working properly? (Except for audio issues.)
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you connecting to the card?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
thats a yes on the x79-up4
slot 3
slot 7
cal digit 10g ethernet connected directly to the one port
cal digit ts3 hub on the other with loads of usb and thunderbolt to focusrite redline 16 and then through to a blackmagic Mini monitor video out. (I've had all up and running in the past)
Clover currently - but theres an Open core on a USB stick that someone who was in the middle of making for me but got ill. It will boot to my system drive via the USB boot loader. Im mainly sticking with clover to overcome the issue before porting to open core eventually.

Last edited:
Hello. Back again as promised. I really hope you haven´t gone fishing. I´ve done the micro/mini guide for upgrading directly to Catalina 10.15.7. So now I have booted into Mojave using the USB stick, and I went to System Preferences -> software update. Everything seems to work like before. But there is no option for Catalina, only Big Sur. Any idea what to do? Must I do a fresh install? I still have the Catalina installer on my Macbook Pro. Can I use it to upgrade the Hackmac?

Last edited:
thats a yes on the x79-up4
slot 3
slot 7
cal digit 10g ethernet connected directly to the one port
cal digit ts3 hub on the other with loads of usb and thunderbolt to focusrite redline 16 and then through to a blackmagic Mini monitor video out. (I've had all up and running in the past)
Clover currently - but theres an Open core on a USB stick that someone who was in the middle of making for me but got ill. It will boot to my system drive via the USB boot loader. Im mainly sticking with clover to overcome the issue before porting to open core eventually.
We're running out of options. We've observed through numerous user reports that Thunderbolt either works or it doesn't. There's very little leeway. Every motherboard, every firmware (BIOS), every device is different and not all permutations are equal.
  • With the card in Slot 7, have you tried:
    • CMOS Reset followed by configuring BIOS parameters again?
    • Cold boot and warm boot with Thunderbolt devices connected prior to boot?
  • Are you certain that moving the card to Slot 3 causes Thunderbolt devices to connect?
    • Do you have an IOReg file with the card in Slot 3?
      • Moving the card from slot 7 to slot 3 requires a change in Thunderbolt SSDT root port.

Hello. Back again as promised. I really hope you haven´t gone fishing. I´ve done the micro/mini guide for upgrading directly to Catalina 10.15.7. So now I have booted into Mojave using the USB stick, and I went to System Preferences -> software update. Everything seems to work like before. But there is no option for Catalina, only Big Sur. Any idea what to do? Must I do a fresh install? I still have the Catalina installer on my Macbook Pro. Can I use it to upgrade the Hackmac?
Apple has removed the option to perform an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina through Software Update. However, if you have the Catalina full installer (12.x GB file) then you can certainly copy the entire Install macOS Catalina.app to the Applications folder on the Mojave system and double-click to launch it.

We're running out of options. We've observed through numerous user reports that Thunderbolt either works or it doesn't. There's very little leeway. Every motherboard, every firmware (BIOS), every device is different and not all permutations are equal.
  • With the card in Slot 7, have you tried:
    • CMOS Reset followed by configuring BIOS parameters again?
    • Cold boot and warm boot with Thunderbolt devices connected prior to boot?
  • Are you certain that moving the card to Slot 3 causes Thunderbolt devices to connect?
    • Do you have an IOReg file with the card in Slot 3?
      • Moving the card from slot 7 to slot 3 requires a change in Thunderbolt SSDT root port.
Hi - Bought the card in July last year. It all has been working under Mojave and Catalina so I know it can work. Whats been frustrating is it often requires a number of boots to get going - Sometimes it started up straight away. Plus a kernel panic to do with an audio driver (which works fine in a real mac) often preceded the card activating after the panic. But- Ive been working away with these impediments since July with both ports activated at 40Gbs on the card when it boots.

Re your questions:
BIOS parameters were reset last week whilst the card was in slot 7.
Im not sure I understand cold and warm boot. Do you mean restart and shutdown? Devices are always connected prior to boot.
Im not certain it will work in Slot 3. What I have noticed is there is less kernel panics with the card in slot 3. I tried it in Slot 5 as well. If ,whilst on, I disconnect the 10g ethernet connected by itself to a port and replug it - it appears on the system. The hub on the other port won't if I do the same when it doesn't boot from start.
The IO reg I posted was with the TB card in slot 3.
How do I change the TB root port? Is this the NPE1 designation? I attempted to do that in the TB3 ssdt I posted.

Just trying to get a more consistent boot here. Not proving if it works in the system as Ive already established that - with your help originally.

Last edited:
Apple has removed the option to perform an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina through Software Update. However, if you have the Catalina full installer (12.x GB file) then you can certainly copy the entire Install macOS Catalina.app to the Applications folder on the Mojave system and double-click to launch it.
Hi, Installation seemed to run ok, but very very slow after the second reboot. It was 8 mins left. Screen was black with an almost indistinguishable black square in the middle for a while. The arrow for the mouse just showed for a minute and reacted normally. After that, the monitor restarted twice, and now it gets no signal. The machine itself seems to not react anymore. The loading LED indicator has not blinked for almost 10 minutes. I´ll wait if this is normal. Or should I do a manual restart?
Edit: screen is back but still black with the indistinguishable square in the middle and the mouse only works inside that square... My Catalina installer was just 8.25 GB by the way.

Last edited:
Back