Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No luck. Still required to keep the USB stick in one of the back ports in order to boot into Clover and select the NVMe with Catalina.
If the Catalina boot volume is not appearing in Clover, it means Windows may have written its own boot loader into the Catalina EFI partition.
  1. Use the USB flash disk to boot to the Clover Boot Menu.
  2. Launch Catalina and log in.
  3. Mount EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
  4. Open the EFI folder in Finder.
  5. Grab a screenshot and post it. Let's see if there's a "Windows" folder there.

If the Catalina boot volume is not appearing in Clover, it means Windows may have written its own boot loader into the Catalina EFI partition.
  1. Use the USB flash disk to boot to the Clover Boot Menu.
  2. Launch Catalina and log in.
  3. Mount EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
  4. Open the EFI folder in Finder.
  5. Grab a screenshot and post it. Let's see if there's a "Windows" folder there.
I don't understand how this happened. I made sure to have the Windows NVMe SSD installed in the port closest to the CPU as the guide directed. :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 1.36.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 1.36.10 PM.png
    711.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
hi Casey any word on HEVC with the latest Big Sur beta update?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 1.39.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 1.39.41 PM.png
    171 KB · Views: 40
I don't understand how this happened. I made sure to have the Windows NVMe SSD installed in the port closet to the CPU as the guide directed. :(
To fix this problem, try the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of both macOS SSD and Windows SSD.
  • Check if the Windows EFI partition contains an EFI folder and a Microsoft sub-folder.
    • If so, then rename the Microsoft sub-folder to something like Microsoft-old
    • And then copy the Microsoft sub-folder from the macOS EFI folder into the Windows EFI folder.
    • Then delete the Microsoft sub-folder from the macOS EFI folder.
Now reboot and see if Clover shows boot options for both Windows and macOS.

hi Casey any word on HEVC with the latest Big Sur beta update?
This may be an issue that a future version of WhateverGreen will fix. Let's wait for the next update in first week of November.

To fix this problem, try the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of both macOS SSD and Windows SSD.
  • Check if the Windows EFI partition contains an EFI folder and a Microsoft sub-folder.
    • If so, then rename the Microsoft sub-folder to something like Microsoft-old
    • And then copy the Microsoft sub-folder from the macOS EFI folder into the Windows EFI folder.
    • Then delete the Microsoft sub-folder from the macOS EFI folder.
Now reboot and see if Clover shows boot options for both Windows and macOS.
Thanks so much for all your help.

I'm not sure how to mount the EFI partition of the Windows SSD. Clover configurator does not give the option to mount that drive.

EDIT
Also tried EFI Mounter from the downloads section and that does not give an option to mount the Windows EFI either.

Last edited:
This may be an issue that a future version of WhateverGreen will fix. Let's wait for the next update in first week of November.
yea lets hope thanks man

Thanks so much for all your help.

I'm not sure how to mount the EFI partition of the Windows SSD. Clover configurator does not give the option to mount that drive.

EDIT
Also tried EFI Mounter from the downloads section and that does not give an option to mount the Windows EFI either.
This means Windows does not have an EFI partition. Are there any other SSDs or HDDs in the system? If so, one of them might contain the Windows EFI.

This means Windows does not have an EFI partition. Are there any other SSDs or HDDs in the system? If so, one of them might contain the Windows EFI.
No, I just have the two NVMe drives.

Disk 0 - Samsung 970 EVO Plus with Windows 10
Disk 1 - Samsung 970 EVO with Catalina.

I saved the Microsoft folder to my Catalina drive and removed it from the EFI folder and now Clover is a boot option, but now I cannot boot into Windows 10.

This is a nightmare lol

Back