Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,

My build has recently starting to have lag spikes.
During the spike, "kernel_task" will take most of the CPU usage, Wifi will crash and most apps won't respond. After about 30sec to 1min, Wifi is back up and apps are responding again. It can happen multiple time a day without any heavy apps usage. It doesn't seems to occur on my Windows partition so I believe it's probably software related.
I've tried rebuilding Spotlight index and reseting NVRAM so far, without success.

Any idea where it could come from ?

I'm using Catalina 10.15.5 with OC 0.5.9.

Thanks.

Hi,

During the spike, "kernel_task" will take most of the CPU usage, Wifi will crash and most apps won't respond. After about 30sec to 1min, Wifi is back up and apps are responding again. It can happen multiple time a day without any heavy apps usage. It doesn't seems to occur on my Windows partition so I believe it's probably software related.
I've tried rebuilding Spotlight index and reseting NVRAM so far, without success.

Thanks.

kernel_task can show as high usage when temps are detected to be near the system limits, would correlate with your perf issues.

I’m not a clover user so perhaps someone else can weigh in on how to configure CPUFriend/temp monitoring.

edit: apologies I just saw you’re an OC user. Did you follow the power management guide?https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/post-install/pm.html

kernel_task can show as high usage when temps are detected to be near the system limits, would correlate with your perf issues.

I’m not a clover user so perhaps someone else can weigh in on how to configure CPUFriend/temp monitoring.

edit: apologies I just saw you’re an OC user. Did you follow the power management guide?https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/post-install/pm.html

Thanks for the link.

Apple's XCPM seems correctly loaded. Do you recommend setting up a CPUFriend kext?
I've mainly followed and used Casey's ressources for OpenCore since I'm using almost the same config.
I'm also monitoring the CPU temps through iStat and it's never above 40°C when the kernel_task/lag spike occurs.
The fact that the lag spike is rare and happening when nothing special is happening seems really strange.

Thanks for the link.

Apple's XCPM seems correctly loaded. Do you recommend setting up a CPUFriend kext?
I've mainly followed and used Casey's ressources for OpenCore since I'm using almost the same config.
I'm also monitoring the CPU temps through iStat and it's never above 40°C when the kernel_task/lag spike occurs.
The fact that the lag spike is rare and happening when nothing special is happening seems really strange.
Try keeping an eye on Activity Monitor --> % CPU column. Click on that column to sort from highest to lowest. We can leave Activity Monitor window running in the background as we do other things, but when the lag occurs, monitor the % CPU column and grab a screenshot or two.

Hi,

Thanks.
I've noticed something like this from time to time, but I haven't been able to put my finger on the cause yet. Sometimes, clicks/etc just don't register for a several seconds. I've noticed it happen in Mail, Chrome, opening iTunes, iMessages. Usually the system is instantaneous. Every so often, I'll click and it just....waits...then, 10+ seconds later, it decides to open and go back to being snappy.

Really not sure what the cause is. It hasn't happened enough to become a problem, but...it is annoying when it does.

I've noticed something like this from time to time, but I haven't been able to put my finger on the cause yet. Sometimes, clicks/etc just don't register for a several seconds. I've noticed it happen in Mail, Chrome, opening iTunes, iMessages. Usually the system is instantaneous. Every so often, I'll click and it just....waits...then, 10+ seconds later, it decides to open and go back to being snappy.

Really not sure what the cause is. It hasn't happened enough to become a problem, but...it is annoying when it does.
I've noticed this too. My cursor also becomes very laggy. Realised it's when I'm downloading / uploading at higher speeds, goes back to normal once transfer speed is lower.

This shows that SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is present, so it should be moved to the CLOVER/misc folder. Then copy the Fractal Design aml file (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml) into this folder as previously stated, and reboot. That will enable USB 2.0 on both of the Thunderbolt ports.

So, I rebooted and it seems to have worked using a USB-C to USB-A adapter, but my Pixel 4 still will only charge on the USB-C ports.

I've noticed this too. My cursor also becomes very laggy. Realised it's when I'm downloading / uploading at higher speeds, goes back to normal once transfer speed is lower.
At first please check your RAM full compatibility with your motherboard. for Z390 Designare

So, I rebooted and it seems to have worked using a USB-C to USB-A adapter, but my Pixel 4 still will only charge on the USB-C ports.
We can check if HS08 and HS13 are working by:
  • Connecting a USB 2.0 device to either of the two Thunderbolt ports
  • Running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling down to XHC, then looking at subsections HS08 and HS13
    • Feel free to post a screenshot of the XHC section

At first please check your RAM full compatibility with your motherboard. for Z390 Designare
Yeah, fully compatible, Corsair 64GB. Could just be interference from the WiFi to Bluetooth, will have to test with a wired mouse once USB problems are sorted.

Back