Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Because you have more than 75 posts I can send you files and instructions by Private Message. But let's keep all of the associated discussion here in public for everyone's benefit. Will follow-up with you soon.
Absolutely...

.... After rebooting and then trying to go through the update again I got the same "Error loading kernel cache" ....

Hey Casey, So I am still having this "Error loading kernel cache" issue even after unlocking MSR 0xE2. I'm trying to install the 10.15.4 supplemental update.

I also discovered that running sudo kextcache -i / showed I have a kext with an invalid signature that I then removed (it was related to some audio software I don't use anymore).

So I removed that problematic kext from /Library/Extensions, then ran sudo kextcache -i /. I shut down, unplugged my computer for 10 seconds, turned it on, checked that MSR 0xE2 was still 0x00, and booted into Catalina. I then tried running the update like normal, and selected the Clover entry with Install in the name after the restart. After that I got the same kernel cache error I have been getting lately.

Is there something else I can try? Also, I'm using the latest version of Clover.

The first thing that comes to mind: Is Firewall turned off?
View attachment 467160
Firewall off:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.58.12 AM.png

Sharing on:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.00.40 PM.png

@CaseySJ OC 0.5.8 is out. Will you update your mini-guide? (also the N-D-K?). Thanks to you, I have an absolutely stable system running. Thank you!!! But somehow I don't dare to update the OC. How to perform an OC Update?
Sure, working on it...
** OpenCore Mini-Guide has been updated for 0.5.8 **
Now uses graphical OpenCanopy picker
NDK version will come later

OpenCanopy-Example.jpg
From the mini-guide:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 9.27.38 AM.png

Last edited:
Machine is still running great since last year (Thanks Casey)

Mojave 10.14.6
Fenvi - T919 card

I do get "Bluetooth not available" after wake from sleep. However this is intermittent
I cannot restart or turn off bluetooth or unload ktext as "device is in use"

So I pretty much do a shutdown & power off completely & then power back on.

If anyone has a better solution, any help would be appreciated

New Apple MacBook Pro 13” announced!!
I was waiting for this but too bad it still has the TouchBar and the 10th gen option starts out at $1800. But at least that one has 16GB RAM and 512gb storage. Also upgrading the new MBP from 8GB to 16GB is only $100 but the Air and all the laptop options before are $200. Interesting.

** OpenCore Mini-Guide has been updated for 0.5.8 **
Now uses graphical OpenCanopy picker
NDK version will come later

Thanks for doing this so quickly, CaseySJ - you are awesome.

I just have one question:

I am currently on NDK fork, but think I might just go back to the regular OpenCore version. I don't mind spamming F12 when I boot to choose the Windows drive, which seems like the only notable advantage (both methods give you a clean Windows boot without Hackintosh stuff, but NDK makes it cleaner and less bother). What files would I swap around to move to vanilla instead of NDK: just the new bootx64.efi and opencore.efi? And the new sleep / NVME files mentioned in the updated guide, of course.

Hey Casey, So I am still having this "Error loading kernel cache" issue even after unlocking MSR 0xE2. I'm trying to install the 10.15.4 supplemental update.

I also discovered that running sudo kextcache -i / showed I have a kext with an invalid signature that I then removed (it was related to some audio software I don't use anymore).

So I removed that problematic kext from /Library/Extensions, then ran sudo kextcache -i /. I shut down, unplugged my computer for 10 seconds, turned it on, checked that MSR 0xE2 was still 0x00, and booted into Catalina. I then tried running the update like normal, and selected the Clover entry with Install in the name after the restart. After that I got the same kernel cache error I have been getting lately.

Is there something else I can try? Also, I'm using the latest version of Clover.
Some questions/suggestions:
  • Is Catalina 10.15.4 (standard) still booting up and running properly? The kernel cache issue only occurs when installing the Supplemental Update?
  • If so, boot into Catalina and type:
    • kextstat | grep -v apple and post a screenshot (CMD-Shift-5).
  • Then type:
    • sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Then reboot and log back into Catalina and type this again:

Thanks for doing this so quickly, CaseySJ - you are awesome.

I just have one question:

I am currently on NDK fork, but think I might just go back to the regular OpenCore version. I don't mind spamming F12 when I boot to choose the Windows drive, which seems like the only notable advantage (both methods give you a clean Windows boot without Hackintosh stuff, but NDK makes it cleaner and less bother). What files would I swap around to move to vanilla instead of NDK: just the new bootx64.efi and opencore.efi? And the new sleep / NVME files mentioned in the updated guide, of course.
Because OpenCanopy introduces some different config.plist attribute names and has a Resources folder with its own fonts, icons, sounds, etc., we should do this:
  • Use the new OpenCore-STANDARD 0.5.8 folder.
  • Follow the Modifying OpenCore config.plist section, but open both the old and new config.plist files in ProperTree. Then copy-and-paste the 5 indicated items from old config.plist to new config.plist.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • Is Catalina 10.15.4 (standard) still booting up and running properly? The kernel cache issue only occurs when installing the Supplemental Update?
  • If so, boot into Catalina and type:
  • Then type:
    • sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Then reboot and log back into Catalina and type this again:

I've only seen the kernel cache issue with Catalina when trying to install the Supplemental Update. 10.15.4 has been working well for me. I've attached screenshots of the result of kextstat | grep -v apple before and after running sudo touch /Library/Extensions and then restarting.

Attachments

• before restart.png
    before restart.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 44
  • after restart.png
    after restart.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 43
Back