Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Because OpenCanopy introduces some different config.plist attribute names and has a Resources folder with its own fonts, icons, sounds, etc., we should do this:
  • Use the new OpenCore-STANDARD 0.5.8 folder.
  • Follow the Modifying OpenCore config.plist section, but open both the old and new config.plist files in ProperTree. Then copy-and-paste the 5 indicated items from old config.plist to new config.plist.

FYI @CaseySJ I was in the middle of upgrading when you posted the updated guide. I downloaded your zip to sanity check what I was doing against what you did and noticed that you had both a "config.plist" and "config copy.plist". Only the copy renamed Protocols to ProtocolOverrides.

@CaseySJ I think it would be better to take down the OCConfigurator for now, because OC is still in development and much is still changing (e.g. naming in the config.plist to name the simplest, will still throw an error message). While still experimenting with OC, I've been under the impression, that OpenCanopy has been stable for quite a while now (at least I'm using it without problems of any sort since quite a while)

I was waiting for this but too bad it still has the TouchBar and the 10th gen option starts out at $1800. But at least that one has 16GB RAM and 512gb storage. Also upgrading the new MBP from 8GB to 16GB is only $100 but the Air and all the laptop options before are $200. Interesting.
What I like about the new MBP 13-inch:
  • 10th gen models all start with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
  • They use low-power LPDDR4X 3733MHz RAM.
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, two on each side. Same as last year's model, but I was considering the 2020 MacBook Air (only 2 TB3 ports) last week and glad I held off.
  • Intel Iris Plus graphics on 10th gen mobile CPUs is actually very good.
  • Butterfly keyboard, better speakers, better microphones.
Things I was hoping for:
  • WiFi 6
  • 14-inch screen
Final verdict:
  • This finally convinces me to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Air.

Last edited:
FYI @CaseySJ I was in the middle of upgrading when you posted the updated guide. I downloaded your zip to sanity check what I was doing against what you did and noticed that you had both a "config.plist" and "config copy.plist". Only the copy renamed Protocols to ProtocolOverrides.
Thanks for pointing that out -- new ZIP uploaded. No need to re-download it because that's the only change. Both "Protocols" and "ProtocolOverrides" are okay, but the latter will be used moving forward.

I've only seen the kernel cache issue with Catalina when trying to install the Supplemental Update. 10.15.4 has been working well for me. I've attached screenshots of the result of kextstat | grep -v apple before and after running sudo touch /Library/Extensions and then restarting.
I see you've got FakePCIID.kext -- this is not needed because we're using a new SmallTreeIntel kext that has built-in support for the i211 Ethernet chip on this board. So let's remove that and replace the SmallTreeIntel kext with attached version just to be safe.

Please post screenshot of /Library/Extensions. We should not have any Hackintosh kexts in that folder.

Attachments

• SmallTree-Intel-211-82576.kext.zip
    72.4 KB · Views: 56
@CaseySJ I think it would be better to take down the OCConfigurator for now, because OC is still in development and much is still changing (e.g. naming in the config.plist to name the simplest, will still throw an error message). While still experimenting with OC, I've been under the impression, that OpenCanopy has been stable for quite a while now (at least I'm using it without problems of any sort since quite a while)
Agreed -- OpenCore Configurator 2.0 renamed ProtocolOverrides back to Protocols. I've hidden "Option 2" in a spoiler marked "Do not use at this time".

Firewall off:
I would make sure your WiFi is off to, make sure you have only one connection (Ethernet) to your network. Test and verify that you can ping your gateway, test pinging 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 something outside your network. Also double check your Network Mask, if your mask is wrong you might not be able to respond to a ping coming in from another device. Verify your network and your gateway's network mask are the same.

I see you've got FakePCIID.kext -- this is not needed because we're using a new SmallTreeIntel kext that has built-in support for the i211 Ethernet chip on this board. So let's remove that and replace the SmallTreeIntel kext with attached version just to be safe.

Please post screenshot of /Library/Extensions. We should not have any Hackintosh kexts in that folder.

Attached is a screenshot of /Library/Extensions

In /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other I have FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext. Should I remove only FakePCIID.kext or FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext as well when I replace my current SmallTreeIntel kext with this new version?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 1.51.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 1.51.08 PM.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 71
Attached is a screenshot of /Library/Extensions

In /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other I have FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext. Should I remove only FakePCIID.kext or FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext as well when I replace my current SmallTreeIntel kext with this new version?
you probably don't need either

What I like about the new MBP 13-inch:
  • 10th gen models all start with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
  • They use low-power LPDDR4X 3733MHz RAM.
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, two on each side. This is what I was mostly hoping for!
  • Intel Iris Plus graphics on 10th gen mobile CPUs is actually very good.
  • Butterfly keyboard, better speakers, better microphones.
Things I was hoping for:
  • WiFi 6
  • 14-inch screen
Final verdict:
  • This finally convinces me to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Air.
The lack of WiFi 6 is a surprise to me.

Back