Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi guys,

Could any one please help me, I'm stuck and I don't know how to move forward. I can't boot in to my MacOS, it gets stuck (see attached files). I have reset my CMOS multiple times and unlocked the MSR 0xE2 after every time. I have tried multiple different configs. I took out my ssd from M2 with Windows and tried botting then. Resetet the BIOS and tried different things there aswell.

Last night I created a new Catalina-install USB and tried to re-install MacOS on my back up drive to later CC over my main SSD on that one again but I can't get pass the first verbose "section".

I really don't know what to do, should I buy another SSD and take out alla the other SSD and see if I can install Catalina on that one?

It worked perfectly before, but then one night my PC froze when it was going to sleep mode in Windows and after that I had problems with my MacOS. I think that was the starting point for this situation.

What do you think? Is it a config problem? bios? is it Windows? What should be my next step?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Catalina-fresh-install.jpg
    Catalina-fresh-install.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 57
  • old-config.jpg
    old-config.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 61
@dgsga: in your SSDT (section "ThunderboltDROM") from Thunderbolt Repository here the second CRC (crc32_c) is until "Gaming-I TX/ac" (0x47, 0x61, 0x6D, 0x69, 0x6E, 0x67, 0x2D, 0x49, 0x54, 0x58, 0x2F, 0x61, 0x63), but in all other ssdt the latest byte is '00' (... 0x2F, 0x61, 0x63, 0x00) and crc32 will always be different. You should add 0x00 at the end of "ThunderboltDROM" block in order to match up (0xC5, 0x0A, 0x25, 0xCB), or change the CRC32 checksum.

Hi Casey,

I updated to OcQuirks-22 and the Geekbench Metal score reduced by 2000 points. Open CL by a few hundred.
With Radeon boost.
Your thoughts?
There seems to be a pretty significant amount of fluctuation in the test results folks are getting. I have been following along with several of the threads and with two different developers who are working on the same problem here that RadeonBoost is trying to solve, and one consistent thing I see is variability in the test results coming from identical model graphics cards. In my own system with Dual Vega 64s my cards will report wildly different numbers from each other as well as from test to test depending on what my system was doing previous to running the benchmark.

I unfortunately don't know what RadeonBoost or the other (SSDT-RX Vega 64-Version 2.3.aml) are actually doing to the state of the cards, but one thing certainly seems to be clear, the results depend heavily on the state of the card at the time of testing.

It's not enough if I flash a modified DROM?

A cool note about the Apple firmware you might have noticed: they don't put the DROM in the firmware. So you can absolutely put your preferred DROM in the firmware or just use the SSDT injection. For the purpose of all of us having a unique UUID we should stick with SSDT.

If you're comfortable and have it all "zipped up" then I think it's super cool to flash it to the card and remove it from the SSDT.

If you're comfortable and have it all "zipped up" then I think it's super cool to flash it to the card and remove it from the SSDT.
Thank you! But unique UUID I can to flash too, isn't it (with right CRC8, etc.)?

The DROM section is super described. The "linkDetails" is the same for everyone. And what is about "ThunderboltConfig"? What's his offset address relative to the starting address of the active partition? Where I can find Info about it?

By me is '02 C5' - this is a TBSwitch5, not 7. Right?
Thanks -- yes, you're right (fixed my original post).
Should I to enable the second Switch '02 C9' (1100 1001 => 1000 1001) = 89?
Yes definitely try it -- maybe it allows DisplayPort pass-through as @scottkendall mentioned. Would be interesting to figure this out.
It's not enough if I flash a modified DROM?
We prefer not to flash the DROM. If you wanted to change the Thunderbolt Bus ID, for example (byte #2), you would have to-reflash the chip. But if you just use SSDT you can change DROM much more easily.
Thank you very much!

P.S. Thunderbolt Config is not yet decoded?
upd: Where can I find a "tb-config"? What is the offset of config from start of active partition? Thank you!
  • ThunderboltConfig is not fully decoded.
  • There's a ThunderboltConfig in each SSDT attached to each Thunderbolt DROM Micro Guide.
  • The first 4 bytes of Thunderbolt firmware (from the chip) point to the start of the Active Partition. If those bytes are 0xFFFFFFFF, however, then we go to offset 0x1000 (byte 4096) and check the first 4 bytes there for start of active partition.
    • The Thunderbolt firmware chip can contain up to 2 complete firmware blocks. When we use a proper Thunderbolt Updater tool from Windows, the new firmware gets written to the non-active partition. If all of the bytes were written correctly and verified, then this non-active partition is changed to active partition.
    • This is a fail-safe mechanism. If we lose power or reboot the machine or some of the bytes could not be written properly, then the old firmware continues to be the active firmware and no harm is done.

**Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer **

Hi @CaseySJ ,

Please excuse me, I am new to this world and doing my first Hackintosh install, using a similar spec as mentioned here:

Gibabyte Designare BIOS F9B with a 9900k processor,
32gb DDR4 RAM.
2tb nvme drive
500mb Sata SSD
Fenvi T919
Asus 10gbe card

I followed the instructions, but a couple of things occurred which has stopped me from getting this to work, I had the BIOS setup for a opencore Vanilla, are there any other adjustments I should make, as I could not find the BIOS setup section here.
Hello @Foow9,

BIOS parameters are in Post #1:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.34.56 AM.png
I also noticed a point here (after I attempted my install) that said you need to use a monitor vs a TV, is this really critical, as I am using a 4k TV for the short term?
For TVs it's often necessary to reduce the Refresh Rate in System Preferences --> Displays to 30Hz. We often see auto-sync issues. Computer monitors -- especially those with HDMI 1.4/2.0 and DisplayPort 1.1/1.2/1.4 -- rarely have these issues. On a side-note, my AOC Agon monitor with AMD FreeSync is currently set to 120Hz (yes I know it can go higher). There is no flicker even when moving large windows.
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.40.58 AM.png

When I did the install it went through the first install cycle, came up so I could use disk utility to format my drive nvme with a GUID partition and then install Mac OS.

It started the install and on the first reboot and the clover menu came on, and before i can choose the correct option it continued on its own, I waited for the apple logo and a new time to install, which came up and left it alone, thinking it was ok.

When I returned a little later, the screen was mainly white with the edges flashing, I let it carry on, until it turned itself off.

I restarted it manually and it loaded and took me the MacOS setup process, wifi worked, but bluetooth did not (hav the Fenvi board installed), it could not find the thunderbolt even in the PCI menu, it did recognized the 10gbe card. All nearly good. Then I did the last step, and copied the EFI from the USB to the SSD, and restarted, it would not boot into the SSD. The boot menu shows a blank line for each drive I have (I have the m.2 and a sata), but neither is shown by name, just a space, and it does nothing if I select it.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Do I need a monitor? Is the default clover menu option wrong? Any other ideas before I try it again? How do I make the SSD bootable?
Some suggestions/questions:
  • What do you mean by "boot menu shows a blank line for each drive"? Can you post a photo (resize it down to about 1024 pixels). Is this the BIOS Boot Menu (by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen) or the Clover Boot Menu?
  • When you copied the EFI folder from USB flash disk to SSD, was it copied to the EFI partition of the SSD?
  • If the TV is not displaying video properly, can you attach a computer monitor to the RX 5700 XT temporarily? If so, boot with the computer monitor.
    • Then hot-connect the TV into an available port on the 5700 XT so you have 2 monitors.
    • Go to System Preferences --> Displays, select Gather Windows and set the Refresh Rate of the TV down to 30Hz.

@CaseySJ , when I was dismantling the SSDT piece-by-piece I found that the ICMB method doesn't seem to be needed when Force Power is enabled in the bios, it made no difference to the outcome. From the feedback of other testers it's starting to look like this approach only works for built-in Alpine Ridge. If only Titan Ridge was as straightforward... I also found that removing all the power methods fixed problems with hot plug and the 20 second delay before power down. Might this be worth trying with the TR or have you already done it?
This is definitely worth trying on Titan Ridge. Too bad both of my Designares have been flashed already. But I can un-flash the Test Bench.

Hi guys,

Could any one please help me, I'm stuck and I don't know how to move forward. I can't boot in to my MacOS, it gets stuck (see attached files). I have reset my CMOS multiple times and unlocked the MSR 0xE2 after every time. I have tried multiple different configs. I took out my ssd from M2 with Windows and tried botting then. Resetet the BIOS and tried different things there aswell.

Last night I created a new Catalina-install USB and tried to re-install MacOS on my back up drive to later CC over my main SSD on that one again but I can't get pass the first verbose "section".

I really don't know what to do, should I buy another SSD and take out alla the other SSD and see if I can install Catalina on that one?

It worked perfectly before, but then one night my PC froze when it was going to sleep mode in Windows and after that I had problems with my MacOS. I think that was the starting point for this situation.

What do you think? Is it a config problem? bios? is it Windows? What should be my next step?

Thanks,
Two suggestions:
  • First try enabling KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM directly from Clover Boot Menu as shown:
screenshot1_resize.jpg screenshot2_resize.jpg screenshot3_resize.jpg
  • If it still fails to boot, please compress and upload your CLOVER folder from USB flash disk, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS before compressing/uploading.

Back