Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for the reminder. As you know we have a handful of different versions of firmware for add-in-cards. Some versions perform better than others in certain tasks. But in all cases we find that one warm reboot is necessary to fully or at least more completely activate the Thunderbolt controller on these add-in-cards. So the behavior you're seeing is probably to be expected.

The screenshots look normal.

I have no more functionality when I warm boot over cold booting, maybe it is my devices do not require it but I see no better performance from warm booting my GC-TR-AIC with NVM33. Or maybe it is an AIC issue with the Designare that does not exist if there is not onboard Card.

That being said using V1 & V2 of Elias64Fr AR firmware gives me nothing the card does not show up in the IOreg or under PCI but video pass threw works.

V3 from NATA works from cold boot just the same as warm boot for all my hardware. However, it does not allow for video pass threw. Networking does work with the correct DROM.

NVM33 gives me video pass threw, networking, hard drives, EGPU, USB3.1. The other TR firmwares do not work right for me.

In all my testing I got the same behavior when I cold booted the system or rebooted the system.

My Vega 64(s) are both running at high fan if I use the KEXT. running with just the SSDT doesn't impact the fans, and does provide a performance boost on the he synthetic GB4/5 tests.
Tried the KEXT: RadeonBoost-v1-4+Vega.kext

The kext gives the bigger boost but makes the fan go crazy, so the SSDT was made to do some more optimization and fix the fan. When used together you should get a boot of around 17%, while with just the kext you should get around 12%. I did not do any tests with just the SSDT. Do the fans go back down after you reduce the load on them? For me the temperature has to drop back down to around 40c before the fan starts to slow down.

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up! This warrants further investigation on my part.

Let me be clear while under load the fan spins up to around 2500-3000 RPM however, after the load has been removed and he temperature drops the fan slow back down to about 1500 making my case fans louder then the video card.

• When it comes to creating the two partitions for my NVMe drive, is this a simple case of literally going into Disk Utility and just partitioning the parent-drive? I've got a screenshot of my 1TB NVMe drive (pls ignore the 500GB Windows drive). Do I select the Parent Drive, or Catalina, or Catalina - Data?
  • Do I select the top-most drive (as is highlighted in the screenshot) and then click partition into the two 500GB partitions?
If the new "partition" is also going to be an APFS filesystem then it's better to select the "Container Disk" and choose Edit --> Add APFS Volume. It will mount as another disk and can be backed up separately. The nice thing about APFS Volumes is that they can grow dynamically as space is needed. So on your 1TB NVMe SSD, for example, it's not necessary to chop it into fixed-size partitions. Instead, create another APFS Volume and give it an initial size and optionally a maximum size. This is the most efficient way to use up the large disk.
  • Lastly, assuming down the line I need to restore the 500GB CCC backup SSD, or even install a brand new version of MacOS as a reinstall, as your Catalina guide states we should "click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD", do I still need to follow this step, as the reason I want to partition my drive into two 500GB chunks is that I'd like a 500GB "Data" partition which stores media, photos, music production, captured streams etc, whereas the other 500GB partition will be where the OS lives?
If a physical disk (1TB NVMe SSD) has multiple APFS Volumes and one of those volumes is the boot volume, then to either (a) restore the boot volume from a backup or (b) erase and reinstall macOS on the boot volume, you would only select the boot volume.

To restore from a backup:
  • Boot from backup disk
  • Run Carbon Copy Cloner
  • CCC will show all of the volumes you created on the NVMe SSD. These will appear on the left sidebar of CCC.
  • Select the boot volume on the Backup disk as the SOURCE
  • Select the boot volume on the original disk as the DESTINATION
  • CCC will then restore the selected volume from Backup disk to original disk.
To erase and reinstall macOS:
  • After launching macOS Installer, run Disk Utility from within the Installer
  • Select just the boot volume name and click Erase.
    • Only 2 options will be shown:
      • Name
      • Format
  • Click "Erase" to erase just the selected volume.
  • Then install macOS on that volume

Last edited:
Hi all,

Longtime stalker of this thread; I've had my setup running for a few months now - currently running 10.15.5 beta flawlessly. First, @CaseySJ thanks for all your awesome work. Second, I just had a couple of questions:

1. For DRM, I have my HD630 running in headless mode and RX 5700 XT driving 3 monitors (see attached). I cannot seem to get Netflix to play in Safari tho. I've checked FairPlay 2.1 compat in Safari console and it reports true, so I'm not sure if maybe my GPU configuration is wrong somehow? Before getting the HD630 running in headless mode earlier today, VideoProc was reporting that the RX 5700 XT did not have HEVC capabilities, not sure if that matters.

2. For full Thunderbolt compatibility, is the only way to get to work still flashing modified firmware via SPI flash? I don't have any Thunderbolt devices but would be nice to have it anyway (I've got some Pi's here I can bastardize to do it)
Hello @Rashed97,

Have you seen the DRM compatibility chart on WhateverGreen GitHub site (click here)?

Thunderbolt (including hot plug) works simply by following the build guide. If you see Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1 you'll find a large list of compatible devices. But if you need to use one of the features or devices listed here, then flashing Thunderbolt firmware is currently the only viable solution.

Quick question: if I’m on Mojave with an RX 580, iMac 19,1 with igpu enabled - should I be using shikigva=16 or 80?
Please see:

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 2.59.26 PM.png

I had the low power USB problem once more(500 mA max current for charging). After unplugging and keeping the power button pressed for 30 secs, it was not fixed. Still 500 mA. I then chose restore defaults in the BIOS, rebooted to BIOS, loaded my normal MacOS BIOS settings, rebooted to Clover and now I am stuck when booting MacOS(Mojave, to be exact). -v shows it stalls at End Randomseed +++++

To my dismay, my backup doesn't boot either, even when I use the Clover install on that disk to boot from.

Windows boots (and works) when started from Clover, or from its own boot partition.

I reset CMOS by shorting the 2 pins with a screwdriver, but that didn't help either. Or do I need to remove the battery too?

Any ideas how to fix this would be much appreciated.

So, were you having freezing issues with DP 1.2 or 1.4? Now you have it set to DP 1.1?

Yes, well technically all I did was disabling 1.2 DP in the monitor setting like the screenshot. I don't know if it changed to 1.1 or not since I thought DP 1.1 could only output 4k at 30hz. But after I disabled it, all the problems went away.

Last edited:
Back