Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

4K monitors?
I use an LG 4K TV as well as an iMac 27" (2K) as my displays. No problems. Never crashes unless I do something extremely stupid with a driver or something.

Is it normal for a system with a flashed motherboard and GC-Titan-Ridge add in card to only show the internal thunderbolt bus on a cold boot, but both busses on a warm boot? I consistently have that behavior and also a little system instability, so before I start simplifying the system to troubleshoot, thought I would ask in case the GC-Titan-Ridge configuration is still not 100%.
  • Which flashed motherboard do you have?
  • When there are multiple activated Thunderbolt controllers (i.e. multiple Thunderbolt Buses) then we should assign each Bus a different Bus ID as explained in the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guides.
  • If you need help with this, just post your IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

• Which flashed motherboard do you have?
  • When there are multiple activated Thunderbolt controllers (i.e. multiple Thunderbolt Buses) then we should assign each Bus a different Bus ID as explained in the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guides.
  • If you need help with this, just post your IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

Hi CaseySJ, it is the Designaire, flashed per the guides. You made a SSDT file for me to correct where the card was showing up on my computer, otherwise the Bus ID configuration seems to be correct. I'm attaching the IOReg file, and shots of the system information for both cold and warm boots in case that is helpful. Also attached is the SSDT file in case that is helpful. Much thanks!

Attachments

• cold boot - pci.png
    cold boot - pci.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 62
  • cold boot - thunderbolt.png
    cold boot - thunderbolt.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Spitfire - cold boot.ioreg
    11.4 MB · Views: 67
  • Spitfire - warm boot.ioreg
    11.5 MB · Views: 92
  • warm boot - pci.png
    warm boot - pci.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 70
  • warm boot - thunderbolt.png
    warm boot - thunderbolt.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 69
  • SSDT-TBOLT3-PEG1-PORT7-GC-TITAN-RIDGE.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 69
Hi CaseySJ, it is the Designaire, flashed per the guides. You made a SSDT file for me to correct where the card was showing up on my computer, otherwise the Bus ID configuration seems to be correct. I'm attaching the IOReg file, and shots of the system information for both cold and warm boots in case that is helpful. Also attached is the SSDT file in case that is helpful. Much thanks!
Thanks for the reminder. As you know we have a handful of different versions of firmware for add-in-cards. Some versions perform better than others in certain tasks. But in all cases we find that one warm reboot is necessary to fully or at least more completely activate the Thunderbolt controller on these add-in-cards. So the behavior you're seeing is probably to be expected.

The screenshots look normal.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ - I had a quick question around partitioning my SSD and the backup drive (which I feel you may have answered before in the thread, however my question has a slight caveat).

I've been running this install for the better part of a week and everything works perfectly. I'm now ready to make a backup before I start installing large software (Adobe CC etc), as I know this is a very good restore point with everything working perfectly thanks to this guide.

• My question therefore is, as I went a bit trigger happy and bought a 1TB NVMe, even though I'll barely use half of that in the next 3 or so years (I like to be future-proof :lol:), can I partition the SSD now within MacOS so that I keep like 500GB for the MacOS side of things (like the Apps, core MacOS folders like documents, downloads etc), and then the other 500GB for my eventual media collection, like video edits, Lightroom photos, music production files and potentially some clips from my online gaming sessions)?

• Secondly, assuming the above is ok and I can partition the SSD now within Catalina, as the 500GB partition becomes the system partition, does that mean I can just get a 500GB SSD to create a restore point to, or because my entire NVMe drive is 1TB, should I stick to using a 1TB SSD for the restore point)?

Thank you!

• My question therefore is, as I went a bit trigger happy and bought a 1TB NVMe, even though I'll barely use half of that in the next 3 or so years (I like to be future-proof :lol:), can I partition the SSD now within MacOS so that I keep like 500GB for the MacOS side of things (like the Apps, core MacOS folders like documents, downloads etc), and then the other 500GB for my eventual media collection, like video edits, Lightroom photos, music production files and potentially some clips from my online gaming sessions)?
I would suggest making a backup first before partitioning just in case something goes wrong. Then it's okay to partition the 1TB NVMe into a System and Home drive, or just a Main and Everything-Else drive. Once that's done and everything is working, then update the backup disk. The backup disk even right now can be 500GB or less. Carbon Copy Cloner performs a file-by-file copy, which means that the size of the backup disk only needs to be at least as large as the Used Space on the source disk.
  • Secondly, assuming the above is ok and I can partition the SSD now within Catalina, as the 500GB partition becomes the system partition, does that mean I can just get a 500GB SSD to create a restore point to, or because my entire NVMe drive is 1TB, should I stick to using a 1TB SSD for the restore point)?
The only constraint for the destination (backup) disk is that it should be at least as large as the amount of Used Space on the source disk.

I would suggest making a backup first before partitioning just in case something goes wrong. Then it's okay to partition the 1TB NVMe into a System and Home drive, or just a Main and Everything-Else drive. Once that's done and everything is working, then update the backup disk. The backup disk even right now can be 500GB or less. Carbon Copy Cloner performs a file-by-file copy, which means that the size of the backup disk only needs to be at least as large as the Used Space on the source disk.

The only constraint for the destination (backup) disk is that it should be at least as large as the amount of Used Space on the source disk.

Thank you, I'll create a backup first.

You've provided an amazing guide to create a Backup-SSD via CCC, however 3 more questions if you don't mind me asking:

• When it comes to creating the two partitions for my NVMe drive, is this a simple case of literally going into Disk Utility and just partitioning the parent-drive? I've got a screenshot of my 1TB NVMe drive (pls ignore the 500GB Windows drive). Do I select the Parent Drive, or Catalina, or Catalina - Data?
  • Do I select the top-most drive (as is highlighted in the screenshot) and then click partition into the two 500GB partitions?
  • Lastly, assuming down the line I need to restore the 500GB CCC backup SSD, or even install a brand new version of MacOS as a reinstall, as your Catalina guide states we should "click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD", do I still need to follow this step, as the reason I want to partition my drive into two 500GB chunks is that I'd like a 500GB "Data" partition which stores media, photos, music production, captured streams etc, whereas the other 500GB partition will be where the OS lives?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 21.32.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 21.32.18.png
    731.8 KB · Views: 65
Hi all,

Longtime stalker of this thread; I've had my setup running for a few months now - currently running 10.15.5 beta flawlessly. First, @CaseySJ thanks for all your awesome work. Second, I just had a couple of questions:

1. For DRM, I have my HD630 running in headless mode and RX 5700 XT driving 3 monitors (see attached). I cannot seem to get Netflix to play in Safari tho. I've checked FairPlay 2.1 compat in Safari console and it reports true, so I'm not sure if maybe my GPU configuration is wrong somehow? Before getting the HD630 running in headless mode earlier today, VideoProc was reporting that the RX 5700 XT did not have HEVC capabilities, not sure if that matters.

2. For full Thunderbolt compatibility, is the only way to get to work still flashing modified firmware via SPI flash? I don't have any Thunderbolt devices but would be nice to have it anyway (I've got some Pi's here I can bastardize to do it)

Attachments

• screenie.png
    screenie.png
    956.2 KB · Views: 74
Back