Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello All,

Thanks for CaseySJ for this guide!

At this moment I'm here with install:

"
Installation Overview
Before we start, let's get acquainted with the big picture. These steps will unfold as we go through the complete installation. If you're installing 10.14.4 or earlier, there will be THREE reboots as shown in red below. But if you're installing 10.14.5 and newer, there will be TWO reboots. All reboots except for the final one will be sudden and will appear to be fatal errors, but in fact they are normal. "

It's normal ok, but in a few hours it' rebooted 10 times or more....and I can't finish the install.

Install Mojave 10.14.6
Gigabyte Z390 Designare TB 3
i9 9900KF
Corsaire Vengeance RGB 64Go 3200Mh c 16(on GA QVL list)
Saphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 XT
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Go
PSU Corsaire RM850X 80+ Gold Modulaire 850W
Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT are not supported in Mojave. They are only supported in Catalina starting with 10.15.1.

@manfriday So I tried your files tonight. using plist or not I couldn't get it to work. only way my box booted up is using OCQuirks-4. and I needed to rename it to delete the -4. seems to be running fine this way so I guess ill leave well enough alone.
thanks for the help folks! time to start installing programs
Weird.
I think OcQuirks was in the EFI I posted. Oh well, at least you got things working!
Did you get headless iGPU working too?

Hello, for some reason, I can't install Catalina as I get to the screen where I select my Catalina NVME Samsung drive that is already formatted properly. After selecting the drive and clicking install the setup goes back to the beginning where I can chose Disk Utility, Help, Install MacOS, etc. I have Windows installed on another NVME, but all looks well in disk utility. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm in an endless loop to where I can't get the actual install to progress any further.

I have a 970 Evo drive (not plus), 64 GB Ram (4 * 16GB), RM850i PS.

I installed mojave 14.6 using catalina mini guide. Unlocked MSR, and now have a working Native NVRAM too. All working perfectly, but didn't check TB3 yet.
Then I tried to change PID to headless which is giving me a very slow boot time.
Using latest clover and Lilu 1.4. Using Imac 19,1 SMBIOS.

Hello @keithwongmk,

Let's address the Sidecar problem first:
  • Do you have Location Services enabled in System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Privacy --> Enable Location Services?
    View attachment 447332
  • Is iGPU enabled properly? This can be checked by running IORegistryExplorer then scrolling the device tree on left side (do not use the 'search' box) until you get to IGPU@2. If the first child node below that is AppleIntelFramebuffer... then it's good.
  • Of course, Bluetooth and WiFi must be enabled and working properly.

@CaseySJ,

Thanks for your help. I have Location service enabled, AppleIntelFramebuffer as the first Child of IGPU@2, the sidecar work now.

However, the airplay to Apple TV is still no luck. both Apple TV 4K and my Apple TV HD fail to get airplay. I use my MacBook Air. both are ok. anything I should check?

regards,
Keith

Iam running a blackface Apollo 8, a silver gen 1 Apollo twin, and two black satellites, all devices are TB2 running into a standard Apple TB2-TB3 adapter.

Now by dongles I am not sure what you mean, I do have USB iLok and waves - PA authorisers but these are all USB.

What are you running ?

I'm running the build with BIOS F9b, Clover, kexts, and drivers from the EFI, and Mojave 10.14.6: Build signature is on the left: i9 9900KS, 64 GB RAM, iMP config) with the onboard Thunderbolt 3. I'm not using Filevault and my booter config is 0x28 and my CSR active config is 0x67, so no SIP. I'm using two genuine Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters that connect to my UAD Apollo 8 Quad (the 2017 blackface one with the 2-port Thunderbolt 2 card that it came with.)
On the second Titan Ridge card port, I'm running a BlackMagic Design Multidock II. -It's a single rack space unit with no switch that holds up to 4 SSDs.

I use 2 Samsung 970 PCIe SSDs: One for the for the OS, one for sample streaming. I also have a couple SSDs inside the Fractal Define R6 case for other stuff.

Hotswap has never worked for me and I must boot the Apollo 8 before I boot the computer. This has been so since 2018 when I first built the i7 8700K GA7-Z370 unit from the @HackaShaq guide.

I've been using the hack as a VEP7 slave and using a 2018 Mini for Pro Tools. I'd much rather do it the other way around. Everything works awesome on the hack, just no hotswap/powerswitch swap. But Firewire 800/400 hotswap/powerswap works with a Digidesign 003R.

Here's a dumb question: Could it be that I have to match the Thunderbolt UUID in the patch to the UUID of my Titan Ridge card? Or now, the onboard Titan Ridge? Anyway, I'd really appreciate your help.

Update 2.01.2020: I guess not...

Last edited:
Hello @luvlastcall

Can you please edit your post quoted above and delete the Catalina Mini-Guide?

View attachment 447336

You said that you enabled verbose mode, but your screenshot here and in your follow-up post do not show the verbose log. Are you sure you activated verbose mode correctly?

At Clover Boot Menu you can press spacebar then use arrow keys to move down to "Verbose" and press spacebar again to toggle it ON. Then press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu and try booting again.

It seems you're using the old Catalina Mini-Guide. The new one is referenced in Post #1 or just click here.

Does this mean:
  • If you boot with USB install disk, then choose Boot macOS from Catalina (internal SSD) then everyone is OKAY?
  • But if you boot directly from internal SSD, then you get black screen (no signal)?

UPDATE: The quoted Catalina Mini-Guide has been truncated by site administrators.
Hello @luvlastcall

Can you please edit your post quoted above and delete the Catalina Mini-Guide?

View attachment 447336

You said that you enabled verbose mode, but your screenshot here and in your follow-up post do not show the verbose log. Are you sure you activated verbose mode correctly?

At Clover Boot Menu you can press spacebar then use arrow keys to move down to "Verbose" and press spacebar again to toggle it ON. Then press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu and try booting again.

It seems you're using the old Catalina Mini-Guide. The new one is referenced in Post #1 or just click here.

Does this mean:
  • If you boot with USB install disk, then choose Boot macOS from Catalina (internal SSD) then everyone is OKAY?
  • But if you boot directly from internal SSD, then you get black screen (no signal)?

UPDATE: The quoted Catalina Mini-Guide has been truncated by site administrators.

Yes That is true i can boot with USB drive but with SSD no signal and Just wanted to share one more information that i am using LED i don't have Monitor with me.

Thanks

Will give it a try with New guide shared i need one more help from the guide regarding the below mentioned options
"Uses OcQuirks, OcQuirks.plist and FwRuntimeServices (from ReddestDream GitHub site, Revision 12) instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.""
How to use this one i am not sure bit confused

We have to format the USB install disk with Scheme = GUID Partition Map, and when the macOS installer starts up, we then have to format the macOS SSD with the same Scheme = GUID Partition Map, but Format = APFS.

So there are 2 formatting operations:
  • USB install disk
  • macOS SSD
Was the macOS SSD formatted as APFS and Scheme = GUID Partition Map?

Ah, damn! No, it wasn’t. With proper scheme MultiBeast installation finished successfully, thank you.

I guess now I have to find proper post-install files for my mobo and graphics.

Thank you for an excellent build guide. I followed the Catalina Mini Guide and it works flawlessly. Updated to 10.15.3 last night without any issues.

Back