Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ, thank you.

I'm installing Mojave on MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

What I did step by step:

• Formatted USB with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format and Scheme = GUID Partition Map
  • Created a bootable USB with UniBeast 9.3.0, copied MultiBeast 11.3.0 to this USB, selected UEFI Boot Mode
  • Disabled VT-d and CFG-Lock in BIOS, enabled xHCI Handoff, couldn't find other options from the guide in my BIOS
  • Applied ACPI patch, otherwise my installation was stuck https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091/
  • Added this kext for ps2 keyboard, otherwise my keyboard was disabled during installation https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller
  • After installing I ran MultiBeast and googled my next steps, cause I didn't know what drivers to select. The first guide I found was this thread, so I decided to give it a try

So when I hit 'install' everything goes fine until IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.0 kext starts to install. At this point MultiBeast is stuck. If I close it and run installation again I get stuck on the first kext installed (whatever this kext is - I tried to choose different options). If I reboot I'm stuck on login screen, cause my keyboard stops working at this point.

I'm new to hackintosh thing, and maybe I'm doing something stupid. Should I reinstall at this point and try something different, or maybe recovery mode can help me?
We have to format the USB install disk with Scheme = GUID Partition Map, and when the macOS installer starts up, we then have to format the macOS SSD with the same Scheme = GUID Partition Map, but Format = APFS.

So there are 2 formatting operations:
  • USB install disk
  • macOS SSD
Was the macOS SSD formatted as APFS and Scheme = GUID Partition Map?

But which audio interface model are you using, and how is it connected? TB 2<TB 3 or TB 3 all the way w/o dongles?

I am running a blackface Apollo 8, a silver gen 1 Apollo twin, and two black satellites, all devices are TB2 running into a standard Apple TB2-TB3 adapter.

Now, by dongles, I am not sure what you mean, I do have USB iLok and waves - PA authorisers but these are all USB.

What are you running ?

Not sure I follow you. To clarify: I’m using TB2 and TB3 UAD devices with my TB3 ports on this build. No issues In any way of hooking things up. I can hookup the satellite with tb2 through a TB2 to TB3 adapter directly to the TB3 ports on the motherboard without the x8 which is TB3 or the silver Apollo with a new TB3 card in it. None of the devices are dependent on any of the others to work with this board, but they do all work together in any hookup config. I don’t find any difference in functionality between the TB2 or TB3 audio devices.

TB1 devices do not work with this board‘s TB3 ports though. That’s the only thing that does not.

Make sense?

This indicates that you do not suffer the MacOS freeze in parallel configuration that was reported by @jiffyslot and myself , I just wish these Thunderbolt issues were consistent, I am running macOS Mojave incidentally.

Last edited:
@mango1122
another confusing ! Just referring to your information without verification :|

If you have thunderbolt device connected to RP21, his Address is :
(\_SB.PCI0.GPCB () + 0x000DC000)

Please try this another file.

Would it be D8 as per the screenshot ?
I'll do some thorough testing tonight and will post the results. Initial assessment is (by connecting a USB-C SSD to the machine)
  1. SSDT-TbtOnPch-Phantom_Draft00.aml + Renaming Renaming _E2C to XE2C > NO TB tree
  2. SSDT-TbtOnPch-Phantom_Draft01.aml + Renaming _E2C to XE2C> NO TB tree
  3. SSDT-TbtOnPch-Ultra-AlpineRidge-RP23_draft01.dsl with RP21 and (\_SB.PCI0.GPCB () + 0x000D8000) > YES Thunderbolt tree (no Renaming _E2C to XE2C)
  4. SSDT-TbtOnPch-Ultra-AlpineRidge-RP23_draft01.dsl with RP21 and (\_SB.PCI0.GPCB () + 0x000DC000) > NO Thunderbolt tree (no Renaming _E2C to XE2C)
Edit: Some updates after more testing

Following tests were conducted using
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-Ultra-AlpineRidge-RP23_draft01.dsl with RP21 and (\_SB.PCI0.GPCB () + 0x000D8000) > YES Thunderbolt tree (no Renaming _E2C to XE2C)
  1. Thunderbolt bridge successfully comes up my Mac laptop after a cold restart (logs attached)
  2. Pulling out the cable and Hot plugging it again works
  3. Removing the laptop and hot plugging in a Caldigit TS3 dock also works (without rebooting the machine). The devices connected to the dock do not show up
  4. Cold restart with the TS3 dock results in error - No drivers are loaded.
  5. Cold restart with the TS3 dock and a usb2.0 plugged in results in sometimes TB tree created and sometimes - No drivers are loaded.
In all 5 cases there's a small pause during boot in the ACPI section about 5 seconds and an error (last screenshot).
For all other .aml files this pause is not there.

SSDT-TbtOnPch-Ultra-AlpineRidge-RP23_draft01.dsl has no call to the RMDT method - so I couldn't get Hackintool to display ACPIDebug logs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 8.14.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 8.14.12 AM.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.14.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.14.44 PM.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.15.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.15.11 PM.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.15.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.15.43 PM.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.16.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.16.33 PM.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.31.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.31.56 PM.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.32.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 6.32.52 PM.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 8.14.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 8.14.12 AM.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
This indicates that you do not suffer the MacOS freeze in parelelle configuration that was reported by @jiifyslot and myself , I just wish these Thunderbolt issues were consistent, Iam running OSX Mojave incidentally.
Maybe it's a Catalina thing. I'm on that.

On a different note, after installing the 10.15.3 update, I can finally boot into MacOS using OpenCore! I didn't make any changes to my EFI - and I still get a kernel panic trying to boot into Mojave - but this is progress.

I can also boot via OpenCore with the iGPU enabled, but it doesn't show up in System Information / PCI...

Last post! Using this config.plist, I can use OpenCore NDK to boot into Catalina 10.15.3. The iGPU is enabled and shows up in System Information / PCI. I also ran the VideoProc test and have hardware acceleration for h264 and h265.

I'm highlighting this because I haven't seen anyone get the iGPU working with OpenCore.... at least I don't think I have!

Attachments

• OpenCore NDK PCI.png
    OpenCore NDK PCI.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 116
  • OpenCore NDK VideoProc.png
    OpenCore NDK VideoProc.png
    99 KB · Views: 117
  • config.plist
    17.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Oh, I got it.
It shows 0x3E980003 correctly in Hackintool System section.

You are the best. Thank you as always!

스크린샷 2020-01-30 오전 9.36.11.png

I'm asking this question out of sheer laziness/not just trying it myself.

Has anyone tried Mac Pro 7,1 SMBIOS for this board/build yet?
Answering my own question here.

Tried SMBIOS Mac Pro 7,1

- Bluetooth/WIFI works but says it doesn't/is unavailable in System Prefs and in menubar if you put it there. So you can't click to add/manage BT devices, see battery levels in external devices etc. Still see wifi in Network settings.

-The 2 top USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard (Designare Z390) don't work.

- Memory module misconfiguration warning message at boot with RAM (says there's too much, but there isn't - and about this Mac shows the right amount anyway - due to the RAM not being ECC memory I'm guessing)

- PCIE Slots tab that now appears in About this Mac shows no pcie devices plugged in, but they still work and show up in system report.

- DRM content works as it does in iMac Pro 1,1 for me (I had iGPU disabled and WEG/LILU active but no shikigva= or shiki-id values set).

- Don't get to boot without WEG or LILU kexts or adgpmod=pikera still. If I add -wegoff to boot args it works with 3 screens still, but if remove the kexts then it boots to black screen with mouse cursor.

- Audio seems to work the same (on-board and thunderbolt devices)

- Benchmarks were about 5-6% higher for my CPU and my GPU (9900k + 5700xt) (geekebench & cinebench)

Hello All,

Thanks for CaseySJ for this guide!

At this moment I'm here with install:

"
Installation Overview
Before we start, let's get acquainted with the big picture. These steps will unfold as we go through the complete installation. If you're installing 10.14.4 or earlier, there will be THREE reboots as shown in red below. But if you're installing 10.14.5 and newer, there will be TWO reboots. All reboots except for the final one will be sudden and will appear to be fatal errors, but in fact they are normal. "

It's normal ok, but in a few hours it' rebooted 10 times or more....and I can't finish the install.

Install Mojave 10.14.6
Gigabyte Z390 Designare TB 3
i9 9900KF
Corsaire Vengeance RGB 64Go 3200Mh c 16(on GA QVL list)
Saphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 XT
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Go
PSU Corsaire RM850X 80+ Gold Modulaire 850W

@manfriday So I tried your files tonight. using plist or not I couldn't get it to work. only way my box booted up is using OCQuirks-4. and I needed to rename it to delete the -4. seems to be running fine this way so I guess ill leave well enough alone.
thanks for the help folks! time to start installing programs

Back