Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This happened to me too! I actually booted (via Clover) into Mojave and Catalina and had working native NVRAM, but somehow the setting was lost after I rebooted again via OpenCore. This caused me several hours of debugging to figure out; it never occurred to me the setting could be lost. I nearly gave up and went back to emulated NVRAM. Thankfully I had a bootable backup and could go back if needed!

EDIT: Before trying to boot my system via OpenCore, I made BIOS changes to disable the iGPU and change the operating system type to "Windows 8/10" per the OpenCore guide. @docfiru reported he lost the MSR unlock after BIOS changes. Maybe that's related? I'll test again later today.

I tried making all the same BIOS changes I made yesterday and wasn't able to reproduce my problem -- the MSR stay unlocked like it should.

On a different note, after installing the 10.15.3 update, I can finally boot into MacOS using OpenCore! I didn't make any changes to my EFI - and I still get a kernel panic trying to boot into Mojave - but this is progress.

I can also boot via OpenCore with the iGPU enabled, but it doesn't show up in System Information / PCI...

I can also boot via OpenCore with the iGPU enabled, but it doesn't show up in System Information / PCI...
This requires putting iGPU into headless mode with Platform ID 0x3E980003 by following this mini-guide:

This requires putting iGPU into headless mode with Platform ID 0x3E980003 by following this mini-guide:

I've done that in Clover, but since this is OpenCore, I'm not sure exactly what to do? Will it (Hackintool) also modify OpenCore's config.plist?

EDIT -- sorry for another edit! It appears only the NDK version of OpenCore will let me boot 10.15.3 with iGPU enabled. Not sure if that's useful.

Last edited:
Been kind of following this fascinating thread, have a question to ask. Once you have success with creating a working SSDT for Alpine Ridge, will it be easy to create one for an Asus Thunderbolt EX3 on X99? Unless I'm mistaken, they are quite similar, I'd love to know if one day I'll get mine to work properly:)

Hi @CaseySJ

After following the latest Catalina Mini-Guide for the 5700 XT, the Platform ID is set to 0x3EA5009 automatically.

Do I have to manually change PID to 0x3E980003 to enable headless mode?
I thought if I followed the Catalina Mini-Guide, then the iGPU is should set to headless mode.

스크린샷 2020-01-30 오전 8.14.49.png

Thanks for answering all of the questions. It really helps. Some follow-ups:
  • Because you mentioned ASUS RX 5700 XT, please confirm that you're installing Catalina.
  • Are you following the Catalina Mini-Guide provided here? Because that guide uses Clover 5xxx (not 4934).
Yes im trying to install Catalina.
Yes i was but i dont know why i used that Clover. Do i need to make the USB driver all Over again?

Hello @Spail,

Because this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Some questions:
  • Are you installing on MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE?
  • Are you installing Mojave or Catalina?
  • When you formatted the macOS SSD in Disk Utility, did you select Scheme = GUID Partition Map?

Hi @CaseySJ, thank you.

I'm installing Mojave on MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

What I did step by step:

• Formatted USB with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format and Scheme = GUID Partition Map
  • Created a bootable USB with UniBeast 9.3.0, copied MultiBeast 11.3.0 to this USB, selected UEFI Boot Mode
  • Disabled VT-d and CFG-Lock in BIOS, enabled xHCI Handoff, couldn't find other options from the guide in my BIOS
  • Applied ACPI patch, otherwise my installation was stuck https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091/
  • Added this kext for ps2 keyboard, otherwise my keyboard was disabled during installation https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller
  • After installing I ran MultiBeast and googled my next steps, cause I didn't know what drivers to select. The first guide I found was this thread, so I decided to give it a try

So when I hit 'install' everything goes fine until IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.0 kext starts to install. At this point MultiBeast is stuck. If I close it and run installation again I get stuck on the first kext installed (whatever this kext is - I tried to choose different options). If I reboot I'm stuck on login screen, cause my keyboard stops working at this point.

I'm new to hackintosh thing, and maybe I'm doing something stupid. Should I reinstall at this point and try something different, or maybe recovery mode can help me?

Hi @CaseySJ

After following the latest Catalina Mini-Guide for the 5700 XT, the Platform ID is set to 0x3EA5009 automatically.

Do I have to manually change PID to 0x3E980003 to enable headless mode?
I thought if I followed the Catalina Mini-Guide, then the iGPU is should set to headless mode.

View attachment 447379
The platform ID currently in effect is shown here (this is from my 2012 MacBook Air):

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 3.48.22 PM.png

Been kind of following this fascinating thread, have a question to ask. Once you have success with creating a working SSDT for Alpine Ridge, will it be easy to create one for an Asus Thunderbolt EX3 on X99? Unless I'm mistaken, they are quite similar, I'd love to know if one day I'll get mine to work properly:)
We're actually working on Titan Ridge. @Elias64Fr has already achieved full Thunderbolt Local Node / Thunderbolt Bus functionality on his Asus Maximus IX with on-board Alpine Ridge. But there are differences between on-board (i.e. PCH) and Add-in-Card (i.e. PCIe). It may be easier to adapt an existing PCH Alpine Ridge SSDT to PCIe, but it remains to be seen...

Back