Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey, Casey! Thanks for this build guide. It made it super easy. I built it exactly from your parts list except I swapped out the 580 for a 590...

FYI, you should update your profile as it says you have a Z87 etc.

Hi @CaseySJ, Nice job to resumes previous/current test, state and some comment/speculation !

I have mines :
  • Speculation:
    • Because setting XHC2 ports to Type 0x03 (Type A) instead of 0x09 (Type C) seems to activate TNODE/TBUS, we need to determine why.
    • It probably means that we're not activating XHC2 properly, or not handling its ACPI methods properly.
    • It seems that our focus should be on this.
Dont really understand why excepts using or not of _PRW on XHC2, you can try modifying contents (GRPW(0x6D, 0x04)) bolded to 0x69 and 0x04 to 0x03 ! Or completely removing it !
I'm really want test this board but I haven't it ... yet ! Really expensive ! I had bought mine for 99euros discounted !

About last screen shots ! There is no matter and no problem ! It might due to IORegExplorer interpretation by converting to ASCII characters known hex code.

Another important remark ! When I connect my EGPU, even after IORegExplorer refresh, All DS01/DS04 subtree don't appears. I have to close and restart this app (Version 3.0.2 (14)) to see all devices.. It seem to be an app bug !
And another.. Sometimes, when thunderbolt controller doesn't appear after system panic or wrong configuration followed by reboot,I have to switch off Hack Power supply during around 10s (all led shall be off). Presumably a component Dead lock. We can calling this boot state .. a Very Cold Boot or Frozen Boot ! :headbang:
@Elias64Fr,

You're a genius! :)

With SSP1 and SSP2 Type set to 0x09 and GPRW reduced to (0x69,0x03) we finally got Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus to appear. This is the first time this has happened with Type set to 0x09 (which is the correct value for XHC2.SSP1 and XHC2.SSP2). Although Thunderbolt devices do not actually work, this is still a good step forward!

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.00.39 AM.png

Edit: Fixed typo in photo.

Last edited:
mmm that would indicate that Catalina has better support for Hackintosh machines than Mojave

This was a joke BTW but my screaming emojis didn’t appear on screen lol
haha. I couldn’t say, when I built this machine, I went straight to Catalina as I installed the 5700 xt. seems that others are on mojave with hot plug working though. Have you tried forcing a firmware update on your apollo? Sometimes they don’t happen automatically. You can drag the firmware files from the UA folder over your uad meter to make it happen - there’s a bunch of them in a folder and it’ll only let you use the correct firmware file so it’s pretty safe and easy.

** Thunderbolt Interim Update **

@CaseySJ,

This past summer when trying to get TB working on the ASRock Z390 PhGm ITX Mojave SFF thread, I found that I could only get fast USB-C transmission speeds through the TB connection using a USBPorts injection. I added a declaration for the XHC2 port in parallel to the standard USB section inside one kext file.

In other words, a USBPorts injection, along with the SSDT-TB3 file, was required for proper SSP1 USB-C 3.1 functionality. USB-C via the TB port then ran at 10 Gbps, which is the speed spec'd by Intel for Alpine Ridge (theoretic is 22 Gbps but there are some other things going on, so Intel only guarantees 10 Gbps when used as a USB 3.1 port).

I'm attaching a version of this kext file (it is not plug and play for the Designare build; it needs adjustment). In the image, the XHC section is for the mobo USB ports while the section marked XHC2 was additional section for the TB port (there's only one TB port on the ASRock ITX mobo).

Hopefully, this is helpful and not a waste of your time.

Attachments

• XHC2.jpg
    XHC2.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 93
  • USBPorts-NotDesignare-iMac19,1.kext.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 96
@Elias64Fr,

You're a genius! :)

With SSP1 and SSP2 Type set to 0x09 and GPRW reduced to (0x69,0x03) we finally got Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus to appear. This is the first time this has happened with Type set to 0x09 (which is the correct value for XHC2.SSP1 and XHC2.SSP2). Although Thunderbolt devices do not actually work, this is still a good step forward!

View attachment 447496
@CaseySJ
Amazing :headbang: !

On your screenshot, you should correct remark about GPRW .. 0x69 instead of 0x09.

About devices, as already specified on previous post, We should have a sub tree under one of IOThunderboltPort@1 to @4 in order to have full working external thunderbolt devices. Working again until correct config of the TITAN !

Good step !

@CaseySJ

I'm really convinced that full SSDT Macs like doesn't matter for full tree, it may also add problems if we don't full control ACPI code (depending on datasheet/documents we don't have).

As this step, we can make a Simplified version by removing _PS0, _PS3, PCED, PCEU, PCDA methods (even keeping only begin log text).

Always funny to read from people which claim to use a Modified Firmware on the Titan or Alpine Ridge without to proof anything...

The only post I've seen was on a different site and that guy shares absolutely nothing.

If you guys really would have a "special* Firmware I think there would be proof reports and not just a statement or even Uploads from it.

Last edited:
haha. I couldn’t say, when I built this machine, I went straight to Catalina as I installed the 5700 xt. seems that others are on mojave with hot plug working though. Have you tried forcing a firmware update on your apollo? Sometimes they don’t happen automatically. You can drag the firmware files from the UA folder over your uad meter to make it happen - there’s a bunch of them in a folder and it’ll only let you use the correct firmware file so it’s pretty safe and easy.

Just to clarify, my hot swap is working but parallel devices not, also I had an issue with two Lacie drives on one TB port. When moving data from one drive to another it crashed MacOS, all with apple TB2-TB3 adapters.

Also I did a vanilla install with a custom DSDT so maybe I should not discuss that on this forum out of respect for the methods used here.

Just to clarify, my hot swap is working but parallel devices not, also I had an issue with two Lacie drives on one TB port. When moving data from one drive to another it crashed MacOS, all with apple TB2-TB3 adapters.

Also I did a vanilla install with a custom DSDT so maybe I should not discuss that on this forum out of respect for the methods used here.
Well, I can't say that I extensively tested out the parallel hookup, but I did have it like that for a day or two without any problems that I noticed. I don't use any other TB devices other than the UAD stuff, so I can't chime in on anything else. I honestly don't even care about hot swap because lived for so long on hacks with out it being a thing. I just leave the UAD stuff on all the time or turn them on before booting - no biggie. :)

Thank you for an excellent build guide. I followed the Catalina Mini Guide and it works flawlessly. Updated to 10.15.3 last night without any issues.
Glad to hear it! Wish every post was like this post! :) Ha!

Back