Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Need more information than that. Which one of the two mounters worked and which one did not. ...on what version of macOS.

FYI @MacMan.
Neither of them work. The EFI on my Catalina disk simply will not mount.

Sorry, to be clear I tried mounting the EFI for ANY of my disks and none would mount.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been reported in this thread as I can't find it via search.

I am have very slow boot times in Catalina (15.2) compared to my Mojave build. Additionally, previewing files is much slower as well.

The main difference is I'm using the 5700 XT in Catalina as I wasn't able to in Mojave.

Does anyone with a similar setup have a similar experience with a possible solution? Its not a PROBLEM, just would be nice to fix if possible :)

Thanks!
Hey mate, I have the same setup as you. I do find that my bootup is quite slow but have not had issues with slowness (I dont think) elsewhere. What is you SMBIOS set at? iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1?

The WhateverGreen source code contains a file called kern_shiki.hpp located here. Lines 60-66 explain shiki 32 as follows:
Code:
        // Replace board-id used by AppleGVA and AppleVPA by a different board-id.
        // Sometimes it is feasible to use different GPU acceleration settings from the main mac model.
        // By default Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 (iMac14,2) will be used, but you can override this via shiki-id boot-arg.
        // See /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Resources/Info.plist for more details.
        ReplaceBoardID             = 32,

Also, please search this thread for recent posts by @CODYQX4, who has done some detailed comparisons of various shiki values and how they affect playback in Safari, Netflix, iTunes, Chrome, etc.
Thank you for your info CaseySJ. I cannot locate the posts from @CODYQX4 regarding the comparisons of the various shiki values (Sorry to be a pain) could you tell me a post number of at least where the conversation started.

So what I have noticed so far is: I cannot play Netflix at all through Safari (Not a major problem) and when I play shows on Netflix using google chrome, they appear to be in Standard Definition. I have seen similar comments in these posts however have not seen a solution (Im guessing the solutions vary depending on which GPU you have) Soooo.. I want to try switching to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 to see if this rectifies any of the issues.

Need more information than that. Which one of the two mounters worked and which one did not. ...on what version of macOS.

FYI @MacMan.
OK, I found it... somehow the BIOS security setting got flipped on. I have no idea how since I didn't touch the BIOS. But, problem solved.

Hey guys,

Since yesterday I‘ve got an i7-9700k, designare z390, 5700xt, 64GB RAM, 2x nvme (Windows and macOS) hackintosh up and running.

So far everything works - except time machine. I have the strange behavior when setup and start my backup to may attached Sinologie NAS, that the backup will abort with the message that my free space on the nas is not enough .... it would need 4tb space.

My NVMe in the hackintosh is only 1TB big, and I thin not even 5% is used so far.

When going the extra options I see that my attached 500GB, 1TB, and the other 1TB NVMe for Windows are in the exceptions list - and the expected size of the backup there is shown by around 65GB.

Nevertheless, it won’t work because of too less free space on the NAS ....any suggestions to this strange behavior ?

Thanks guys

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been reported in this thread as I can't find it via search.

I am have very slow boot times in Catalina (15.2) compared to my Mojave build. Additionally, previewing files is much slower as well.

The main difference is I'm using the 5700 XT in Catalina as I wasn't able to in Mojave.

Does anyone with a similar setup have a similar experience with a possible solution? Its not a PROBLEM, just would be nice to fix if possible :)

Thanks!
My original setup from Casey's first guide was fairly slow booting up.
I did a re-install using the mini-guide which has been much faster booting up - I have no idea why

So I should still attempt to use v3 the clone the drive? For now I used CCC to clone the main drive and then mounted both the EFI Partitions and copied my EFI folder over.
Correct -- we should still use v3, but set TEST_SWITCH to Y using a plain text editor (or download the updated version in the original post).

Thank you for your info CaseySJ. I cannot locate the posts from @CODYQX4 regarding the comparisons of the various shiki values (Sorry to be a pain) could you tell me a post number of at least where the conversation started.

So what I have noticed so far is: I cannot play Netflix at all through Safari (Not a major problem) and when I play shows on Netflix using google chrome, they appear to be in Standard Definition. I have seen similar comments in these posts however have not seen a solution (Im guessing the solutions vary depending on which GPU you have) Soooo.. I want to try switching to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 to see if this rectifies any of the issues.
Please have a look at these links:

Hey guys,

Since yesterday I‘ve got an i7-9700k, designare z390, 5700xt, 64GB RAM, 2x nvme (Windows and macOS) hackintosh up and running.

So far everything works - except time machine. I have the strange behavior when setup and start my backup to may attached Sinologie NAS, that the backup will abort with the message that my free space on the nas is not enough .... it would need 4tb space.

My NVMe in the hackintosh is only 1TB big, and I thin not even 5% is used so far.

When going the extra options I see that my attached 500GB, 1TB, and the other 1TB NVMe for Windows are in the exceptions list - and the expected size of the backup there is shown by around 65GB.

Nevertheless, it won’t work because of too less free space on the NAS ....any suggestions to this strange behavior ?

Thanks guys
Hello @bwestpha

Welcome to the forum!

I have an old QNAP and a new Netgear ReadyNAS. Both of them support TimeMachine. But both of them seem to have implemented it very poorly. After too much time wasted trying to configure TimeMachine on NAS -- and the excruciatingly slow backup speed -- I gave up months ago and switched to a direct-attached external disk. I use two 1TB SATA SSDs mounted in one of these Sabrent enclosures. The two drives are RAIDed together.

Hi all - happy new year!

I did two relatively innocuous things and now I'm experiencing significant instability on my hack.

1. I deleted two Network options from my Network preferences (Bluetooth PAN and Ethernet 2 - both unused).
2. I checked my BIOS settings (but Exited without Saving).

Ever since then, I've been experiencing random crashes/freezes - no discernable pattern and each one requiring hard reboot.

I've since powered down, waited a couple seconds (to clear CMOS), pressed the power button without power (seems to flash all the mobo lights as a discharge).

Up and running for now but curious what lines of debugging I should start. I've seen some threads on 10-15 second crashing and this feels similar.

That being said, before I powered down just now (before it was all resets), it ran all night with a heavy download with no problem and woke from sleep this morning.

Back