Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ - what about the difference between restarting from the OS and powering down and powering up (without a CMOS reset). Is there some reason to expect unstable behavior from constant restarts?
This is perfectly normal and should not cause any issues.

Hello @AustPwrs

Thank you for the clear and detailed description! Quite refreshing...

Some suggestions:
  • Perform a CMOS Reset just to be extra safe. This means shorting the two designated pins on the bottom right side of the motherboard as mentioned in the Designare owner's manual.
    • This takes just a second and provides the single best "detoxification" therapy.
    • All BIOS parameters will be reset to factory defaults, so please configure them again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults. It is necessary to start with Load Optimized Defaults because of various power and other settings that get applied.
  • Then try the attached modified config.plist. Simply copy your serial numbers back into SMBIOS/RtVariables before use.

Hi Casey,

Thank you for your prompt response. I've reset the CMOS In the past which helped quite a bit when I couldn't get anything to work with the system.

After receiving your response I:

1) Tried your modified config.plst file -> Black screen.
2) Reset CMOS, clicked Load Optimized Defaults, set the BIOS for F6 as you suggested, and booted with your config file -> screen froze with overlay of both Apple load screen and login screen (have never seen this before, quite interesting)
3) Booted with my previous config.plst, thinking that the CMOS Reset might have been all I needed -> froze at login screen like it did before.
4) Switched over to iGPU (used your config file) -> no signal
5) iGPU with previous config file -> operating without noticeable issues

I have reinstalled Windows 10 on a second NVMe on M2P and booted from that SSD from BIOS, bypassing Clover, with Vega 64 without issues. Ran diagnostics with DirectX Diagnostics Tool and the card came back as "no problems found."

Hopefully I've eliminated a hardware problem. It is frustrating that the system seems to be working at some point, but not now.

Is this a potential SSDT USB issue? I have used your SSDT patch as well as the alternate patch, same results...works with iGPU but freezes on login with Vega 64. The two modifications I've made to your build is 1) installed a blu ray drive via SATA (to watch 4k movies in Windows - which I read is amazingly better than streamed 4k content) and 2) added a front panel USB hub connected to the motherboard USB 3.1 header - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T5QQZG4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20. I've not deactivated the extra USB ports yet. Thinking that this might be the case, I did unplug the hub from the motherboard without making any difference. Also, if this were causing the boot issues, why would the system work with iGPU but not with PCIe GPU? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any other suggestions? Is it time to throw in the towel on this card?

Again, thanks.

Hello friends,

Has anyone seen any comparisons between a Hackintosh and new MAC PRO 2019?
As seen in the post below, YouTuber Jonathan Morrison got a GeekBench single-core score of 1162 and multi-core score (12 cores I believe) of 20,869.

GeekBench 5 Designare Z390
8-cores, 8-threads
2019 Mac Pro
12-Cores, 24-threads
Single-Core 1207 1162
Multi-Core 7835 20,869

Any other suggestions? Is it time to throw in the towel on this card?

Again, thanks.
This config.plist I provided should be discarded because of the worse results. So using your original config.plist, let's do this:
  • Clover Configurator --> Graphics --> Inject Intel --> Uncheck this because we're using WhateverGreen to enable iGPU.
  • In BIOS, Initial Display Output should be PCIe 1 Slot.
  • There should be no Vega or RX580 SSDT in CLOVER/ACPI/Patched.
  • There should be no Vega or custom power play kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • The USB SSDT is okay; it does not affect the GPU.
Did this GPU ever work reliably with macOS?

Hi Casey,

Something quite amazing happened. I went to run some errands, and left the computer on with Windows running. When I got back home, and decided to power down, I noticed that it had rebooted for some unknown reason, and it was on Mojave. And the keyboard and mouse were working, as it is now. It was on the HDMI connection to the Vega 64.

When I switched over to the Displayport and rebooted, the screen froze, as usual at the login page. Switching back to HDMI, it worked again.

I'm hesitant to make any changes, though the only changes I have to make from your suggestions are to uncheck the Inject Intel and remove the fan Vega 64 patch from CLOVER/kext/Other.

All of this is quite interesting, as it did work before on HDMI, then didn't. Worked with Displayport, then stopped working. Now, back to working with HDMI and not on Displayport. The instability maybe due to Inject Intel as this is your recommendation for the next change. When I make the change, I'll let you know.

Again, thank you so very much for your assistance!

This config.plist I provided should be discarded because of the worse results. So using your original config.plist, let's do this:
  • Clover Configurator --> Graphics --> Inject Intel --> Uncheck this because we're using WhateverGreen to enable iGPU.
  • In BIOS, Initial Display Output should be PCIe 1 Slot.
  • There should be no Vega or RX580 SSDT in CLOVER/ACPI/Patched.
  • There should be no Vega or custom power play kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • The USB SSDT is okay; it does not affect the GPU.
Did this GPU ever work reliably with macOS?

I need a little help with my build. Everything is pretty much running as expected. I've moved on to the "Going the extra mile" section and the tuning the system for Photoshop and IMovie use, but I'm using an Nvidia GTX 760 card.

I noticed a jumpiness to certain windows when they automatically resize. I noticed it when using "About this Mac" and moving from Overview to Service views. The windows jerks. My only deviations from the guide are:

Bios - Chipset - Internal Graphics → Disabled
Only installed Items from the "Post-Install Files" folder, except I didn't install SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2
Nvidia GPU - GTX 760

The only other deviations were due to updated apps that resolved issues as noted in the guide.
Unibeast v9.2.0-6
Multibeast v11.3.0-4
Lastest Lili and WEG files

Thanks

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 81
I think I found out what was going on. I was trying to use the hackintosh as a home media computer, running the HDMI/DP through the receiver and then to the TV. So, when the PCIe GPU (and maybe even the iGPU though I did not test this) is connected via this route, the hackintosh would freeze at the login screen. However, if I connected the PCIe GPU directly to the TV, no issues. I'm not sure how many people will be using the hackintosh as a home media computer, but if you do, please note this quirk. After 2.5 weeks, it seems as if I was experiencing a hardware problem. Hopefully my pain is your gain.

I need a little help with my build. Everything is pretty much running as expected. I've moved on to the "Going the extra mile" section and the tuning the system for Photoshop and IMovie use, but I'm using an Nvidia GTX 760 card.

I noticed a jumpiness to certain windows when they automatically resize. I noticed it when using "About this Mac" and moving from Overview to Service views. The windows jerks. My only deviations from the guide are:

Bios - Chipset - Internal Graphics → Disabled
Only installed Items from the "Post-Install Files" folder, except I didn't install SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2
Nvidia GPU - GTX 760

The only other deviations were due to updated apps that resolved issues as noted in the guide.
Unibeast v9.2.0-6
Multibeast v11.3.0-4
Lastest Lili and WEG files

Thanks
Is it a pronounced jumpiness or a subtle jumpiness? Feel free to capture a few seconds with your smartphone and post the video clip (or a link to the video).

Asus Maximus IX Z270 is Extreme model.

SSDT-TBT is the Osy86 with some modifications, device-id of the DSB0 is 15D3 and NHI0 is 15D2 (Alpine ridge v2).
Now that I've returned from vacation, I'd like to examine your SSDT-TBT (SSDT-TbtOnPCH.aml). Can you please post:
  • SSDT-TbtOnPCH.aml
  • Your motherboard's DSDT.aml (simply run MaciASL and select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT).
The Designare firmware does not have MMRP and MMTB methods on RP05. It does have them on LPCB, but they take two arguments instead of one. For this (and a couple other reasons) the SSDT for Designare does not work as-is.

Back