Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi caseySJ,

Thank you for a brilliant guide. I think your guides are unique in their level of precision and lack of ambiguity.

My first Hackintosh, Designare Z390, 9900K, MSI 5700XT, Fenvi T919, ADATA SX8200 Pro.

After a full week of attempts, your original guide (post 1) got Mojave going, then scrapped it all for the Catalina mini guide. Almost everything works, and a few little quirks.

My TB3 is working (using a caldigit Dock), but hot plugging trashes the system, and needs a reboot.

Shutting down also glitches with just a movable mouse pointer and nothing else....otherwise everything else seems to work fine.

Any suggestions for the above two? The inability to shut down consistently is a pain. Once it freezes, and I restart I just get a static feed from the GPU on boot up.....requires a complete power down (disconnecting power cord) for a normal boot up. Everything else works brilliantly.

Thanks for your help

HP

Happy New Year to all!!

I'm still having problems getting SideCar working well. It's choppy and pixelated

I installed the Fenvi 919 card to see if it was the m1200 card, nope.

Then I tried to use the internal display, it wouldn't show the boot screen.
I do have HEVC active according to VideoProc View attachment 443322

This is the last piece I need to get fixed.

Other than this , the machine is exceeding my expectations.

Thanks in advance.

mdr
Have you tried SideCar on a real Mac? It may be a good idea to do so. If it behaves the same on a real Mac as it does on a Hackintosh, then the issue is endemic to SideCar itself.

Hi caseySJ,

Thank you for a brilliant guide. I think your guides are unique in their level of precision and lack of ambiguity.

My first Hackintosh, Designare Z390, 9900K, MSI 5700XT, Fenvi T919, ADATA SX8200 Pro.

After a full week of attempts, your original guide (post 1) got Mojave going, then scrapped it all for the Catalina mini guide. Almost everything works, and a few little quirks.

my TB3 is working (using a caldigit Dock), but hot plugging trashes the system, and needs a reboot.

Shutting down also glitches with just a movable mouse pointer and nothing else....otherwise everything else seems to work fine.

any suggestions for the above two? The inability to shut down consistently is a pain. Once it freezes, and I restart I just get a static feed from the GPU on boot up.....requires a complete power down (disconnecting power cord) for a normal boot up. Everything else works brilliantly.

Thanks for your help

HP
Hello @hemipatel

Please see this post for a checklist:

If this is a pristine new installation with no third-party apps or drivers or PCIe cards installed (other than GPU and WiFi/BT) then the above checklist might help.

Regarding the CalDigit dock, are Thunderbolt BIOS parameters set up correctly? Feel free to post a BIOS screenshot (F12 in BIOS with USB flash drive inserted). Do you see Titan Ridge Controller in System Information —> PCI?

Hello CaseySJ,

First of all congrats on this SUPERB guide. I am a noob in relation to hackintoshes but I was able to successfully create mine using your guide! When I did it last year I used a Vega 56 in my build, but I would really love to replace it with a 5700 XT. I've noticed you're using one at the moment. Is there any guide on how to update the build so I can give it a try? I am sorry but I was unable to find it as there are over 1200 pages in this thread!

Thank you very much once again!

Regards from Brazil

Turniton

Thank you for the info. I agree, it makes sense to have the home folder on a separate drive. Does doing that mean apps and settings don't need to be reinstalled though if I'm reinstalling from scratch? I find the most time consuming thing of reinstalling from scratch is all the little customizations of the OS. Better touch tool, keyboard shortcuts, mouse settings, printers, etc. Is redoing any of that avoided by having the home folder on a different drive?
Unfortunately, apps would have to be reinstalled because they’re stored on the system disk instead of the home disk.

System preferences are stored in both system and home folders depending on the type of system preference. Personal preferences are stored in the home folder, but I’ve yet to independently verify this.

Hello CaseySJ,

First of all congrats on this SUPERB guide. I am a noob in relation to hackintoshes but I was able to successfully create mine using your guide! When I did it last year I used a Vega 56 in my build, but I would really love to replace it with a 5700 XT. I've noticed you're using one at the moment. Is there any guide on how to update the build so I can give it a try? I am sorry but I was unable to find it as there are over 1200 pages in this thread!

Thank you very much once again!

Regards from Brazil

Turniton
Hello @Turniton

Probably the simplest answer I can provide is this:
  • Compare your Clover folder with that from the Catalina Mini-Guide. Check all files in the drivers, kexts, and ACPU folders. Use latest LilWhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
  • Then compare your config.plist with the one in the same mini-guide (config-AMD-GPU.plist). In particular, look at Boot Arguments and RtVariables.

Hello @hemipatel

Please see this post for a checklist:

If this is a pristine new installation with no third-party apps or drivers or PCIe cards installed (other than GPU and WiFi/BT) then the above checklist might help.

Regarding the CalDigit dock, are Thunderbolt BIOS parameters set up correctly? Feel free to post a BIOS screenshot (F12 in BIOS with USB flash drive inserted). Do you see Titan Ridge Controller in System Information —> PCI?

yup, brand new, pristine Catalina.

only one memory fix driver, shutdown fix already checked, emuvariable present.....no joy. The system sometimes shuts down, but mostly just hangs.

cheers

HP

@MacMarshall , I only followed this guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-834#post-2013418

I downloaded the latest versions of Lilu, WEG and FakeSMC and installed them with Hackintool in /L/E. After reading conflicting opinions on wether to install kexts only in /L/E or /Other/ or in both, I opted for only in /L/E, so my Others -folder is now empty.
The reason to keep "essential" kexts in clover/kexts/other (in addition to having all your kexts in L/E) is so you can boot to your recovery volume from the clover screen. In that case you'd at least need fake or virtual SMC, and perhaps lilu, WEG, and an Ethernet kext. It's worth experimenting with on a USB boot stick.

Assuming you have kext injection in config.plist set to "detect", during a normal boot none of the kexts in Other will be loaded so there will be no conflict between the two sets of kexts. If you were to boot to recovery volume, Clover will inject the kexts from Other, so the boot will be successful.

There are many good air coolers and liquid all-in-one coolers. High quality air coolers such as those from Noctua can be highly effective. I prefer liquid coolers because they involve a relatively small CPU block in the middle, and they keep everything else locked away at one of the sides of the case.

The J23 supports the following radiators:
View attachment 443246

For the i7-9700K, a 240mm radiator is sufficient. A 280mm or larger radiator would be advisable for overclocking. As for specific makes and models, various websites and YouTube channels provide head-to-head comparisons. Most name-brand liquid coolers on the market today do a great job.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm slightly unsure on what air coolers the case would accommodate with the parts I've already ordered. I realise this is because this is my first build but have decided to wait for the case to arrive so I can get a physical sense of the space I'm working with. can't wait to get started with this really as I've been in need of a faster system for a while. exiting times! thanks again

Back