Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unfortunately, apps would have to be reinstalled because they’re stored on the system disk instead of the home disk.

System preferences are stored in both system and home folders depending on the type of system preference. Personal preferences are stored in the home folder, but I’ve yet to independently verify this.
Navigating to my home folder/Library and highlighting the Preferences folder, "Get Info" confirms that the user library is on the Home drive, not the System drive.

Same here. Both, CPU and GPU radiators can be placed on the case on the way, that heat is immediately sent out of the case. Also bigger radiators can be used.

Actually water cooling is just a more complex air cooling. Heat is carried with liquid into radiator, where liquid is cooled down and sent back to collect heat. If you want easier to manage solution, then air cooling is better option. But if you control more precisely cooling and noise then liquid cooling is better option, as you can play with pump speed, fans speed etc simultaneously.

I personally recommend to use OOB liquid cooling as these are easier to install and maintain. No risk of leaking usually. Below is an example of Z390 with alphacool OOB type coolers. For cpu is used 420 radiator, which gives bigger cooling area and provides more silent system. GPU has also water cooling.
Thank you @iLikeHackintosh . my case has 1xfan at the back and 3xfans on the front to pump hot air out of the system. I felt that I needed a cpu heatsink and decided on a water cooling system. Although still unsure what brand and model to go with.
what method would you say is best to calculate if I need a gpu cooling system too.
thank you

Thank you @iLikeHackintosh . my case has 1xfan at the back and 3xfans on the front to pump hot air out of the system. I felt that I needed a cpu heatsink and decided on a water cooling system. Although still unsure what brand and model to go with.
what method would you say is best to calculate if I need a gpu cooling system too.
thank you

With water cooling installed on your comp, these watercooling radiator fans will push the air out, so this will me more ergonomic solution actually. It’s quite easy to install these OOB CPU water cooler. Which case you have in mind?

Have you tried SideCar on a real Mac? It may be a good idea to do so. If it behaves the same on a real Mac as it does on a Hackintosh, then the issue is endemic to SideCar itself.
CaseySJ,That’s my next step, but from everything I’ve seen on the web, sidecar is supposed to be smooth.
thanks again.

CaseySJ,That’s my next step, but from everything I’ve seen on the web sidecar is supposed to be smooth.
thanks again.
I played with SideCar again (before going on vacation) and found the same graininess and mild pixelation that you reported. Hence I'm wondering if this is endemic to any low-bandwidth display. SideCar uses Bluetooth to establish the initial connection from Mac to iPad, then switches to point-to-point WiFi for data transmission. A real video cable, however, provides significantly more bandwidth and no compression artifacts.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm slightly unsure on what air coolers the case would accommodate with the parts I've already ordered. I realise this is because this is my first build but have decided to wait for the case to arrive so I can get a physical sense of the space I'm working with. can't wait to get started with this really as I've been in need of a faster system for a while. exiting times! thanks again
Good decision to wait until the case arrives. Depending on the size and bulk of air coolers, they can, for example, impede access to Slot 1, which means you lose that slot (at least for long cards such as GPUs).

For 99% of the people (in my opinion) GPU water cooling is not needed. GPUs are equipped with large heat sinks and double or triple fans. The manufacturers of those cards have certified their products for continuous use at high loads.

Couple of years ago when Ethereum mining was still profitable, I had two crypto-currency miners, each with seven AMD RX 580s with stock dual-fan air coolers. Imagine 14 of these AMD RX 580s in the same room performing highly-demanding Ethereum mining 24x7 with just air cooling. NOTHING EVER HAPPENED to those cards! In fact, after 4 months of mining, Ethereum profitability tanked and I sold half the cards, gifted two of them to family, and re-purposed the rest for my Hackintosh and eGPU.

The MSI RX 580 Gaming X (and PowerColor RX 580) listed in Post #1 came straight out of the mining system and worked flawlessly both in the crypto world and now in the Hackintosh world.

Last edited:
yup, brand new, pristine Catalina.

only one memory fix driver, shutdown fix already checked, emuvariable present.....no joy. The system sometimes shuts down, but mostly just hangs.

cheers

HP
It might be helpful to list the makes/models of all of the system components. The list might trigger a response from someone. You may also compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of Catalina SSD (but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS of config.plist).

With water cooling installed on your comp, these watercooling radiator fans will push the air out, so this will me more ergonomic solution actually. It’s quite easy to install these OOB CPU water cooler. Which case you have in mind?
I've just hot a thermaltake J23 delivered today. It does look fairly tight when it comes to space. Kind of torn between sending it back or not as it's advertised with 2xusb3 ports on the front and it only has 1xusb3+2usb2s.
I don't seem to find any OOB water coolers. is that the name they're advertised under? would it possible to post a link? thank you!

Thanks, CaseySJ.

Gigabyte Designare Z390
Intel i9-9900K
Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB
MSI 5700 XT OC Evoke
64 GB DDR4 Crucial 16GBx4) CT16G4DFD824A 2400MHz RAM Modules
Fenvi T919 Wifi/BT
Thermaltake View71 TG Case
Thermaltake Riing RGB 14 Plus Fans x5 (controller into a USB 2 port on MB back plate/panel), I take this out for Hackintosh.

Only non standard things would be that I have installed Windows and Hackintosh on same SSD/NVME, in separate partitions. Loading either is fine through clover boot loader....and maybe the RAM is cheap generic sticks.

ive attached my clover folder, with the serials deleted.

Interestingly, now I'm getting some BT connection troubles on boot up into Catalina. My Magic Mouse doesn't get recognized and requires a force quit of the BT preferences before it will connect to the mouse. Has me puzzled as has been working nicely with Win and OSX. (I presume as they are both using a different BT card [Win=On Board, OSX=Fenvi]

Attachments

• HP Clover .zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 74
I've just hot a thermaltake J23 delivered today. It does look fairly tight when it comes to space. Kind of torn between sending it back or not as it's advertised with 2xusb3 ports on the front and it only has 1xusb3+2usb2s.
I don't seem to find any OOB water coolers. is that the name they're advertised under? would it possible to post a link? thank you!
They're called "All-in-One Liquid Coolers". Some choices are:
  • NZXT Kraken series (they come in various sizes)
  • DeepCool Castle and Captain series
  • Corsair Hydro series and Hxxx series
  • Thermaltake Floe
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid series
  • EVGA CLC
  • Arctic Liquid Freezer II
  • Enermax AquaFusion

Back