Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good decision to wait until the case arrives. Depending on the size and bulk of air coolers, they can, for example, impede access to Slot 1, which means you lose that slot (at least for long cards such as GPUs).

For 99% of the people (in my opinion) GPU water cooling is not needed. GPUs are equipped with large heat sinks and double or triple fans. The manufacturers of those cards have certified their products for continuous use at high loads.

Couple of years ago when Ethereum mining was still profitable, I had two crypto-currency miners, each with seven AMD RX 580s with stock dual-fan air coolers. Imagine 14 of these AMD RX 580s in the same room performing highly-demanding Ethereum mining 24x7 with just air cooling. NOTHING EVER HAPPENED to those cards! In fact, after 4 months of mining, Ethereum profitability tanked and I sold half the cards, gifted two of them to family, and re-purposed the rest for my Hackintosh and eGPU.

The MSI RX 580 Gaming X (and PowerColor RX 580) listed in Post #1 came straight out of the mining system and worked flawlessly both in the crypto world and now in the Hackintosh world.
Thank you for your reply. I've got the case this morning and am fairly unsure about it. I felt it would be slightly bigger but aside from some limitations on the size of the cpu coolers, it should work. There's a picture of it bellow.
What you say about the RX 580s is really heartwarming. I've read other really positive reviews about them but sounds like you've really pushed them to their limit.
Cant wait to get everything installed and start the software works:)

Attachments

• foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
They're called "All-in-One Liquid Coolers". Some choices are:
  • NZXT Kraken series (they come in various sizes)
  • DeepCool Castle and Captain series
  • Corsair Hydro series and Hxxx series
  • Thermaltake Floe
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid series
  • EVGA CLC
  • Arctic Liquid Freezer II
  • Enermax AquaFusion
Great, thanks so much. looking into it now.

Thank you for your reply. I've got the case this morning and am fairly unsure about it. I felt it would be slightly bigger but aside from some limitations on the size of the cpu coolers, it should work. There's a picture of it bellow.
What you say about the RX 580s is really heartwarming. I've read other really positive reviews about them but sounds like you've really pushed them to their limit.
Cant wait to get everything installed and start the software works:)
Computer cases are a very personal choice so I won't interfere in that decision except to say that I look for a case with a front-panel USB Type C port because the Designare Z390 contains a front-panel USB-C header. I routinely connect my 11-inch iPad Pro to it via a USB-C cable with USB 3.x support (not the cable that ships with the iPad Pro).

Computer cases are a very personal choice so I won't interfere in that decision except to say that I look for a case with a front-panel USB Type C port because the Designare Z390 contains a front-panel USB-C header. I routinely connect my 11-inch iPad Pro to it via a USB-C cable with USB 3.x support (not the cable that ships with the iPad Pro).
Great tip! thanks. Since this is an additional downside, I've decided to return the case. I'm hunting for a new one.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ So the unthinkable happened last night after multiple clone scripts have run successful I ran a clone last night and sure enough it wiped all my drives connected to the computer including 2 separate clones and external hard drive.

It’s my fault I was still using v3 it had not given me any issues.

I will mention tho On the positive note I was able to reinstall Catalina 10.15.2 without any issues first attempt again on to NVMe in M2P directly. Lol positive side haha

Bad news is it wiped the main boot drive, my clone backup, and my clone test drive along with 4tb external Plex media drive completely gone... what I don’t understand is how it even had access to do so...

Luckily... there was nothing that isn’t replaceable just more an annoyance to have to rebuild. I would say I feel like home folder on separate drive would be good in this situation but if the script erased everything connected to the computer I’m sure it would have wiped that as well. I think the only thing to avoid something like this would be a time machine backup.

@CaseySJ So the unthinkable happened last night after multiple clone scripts have run successful I ran a clone last night and sure enough it wiped all my drives connected to the computer including 2 separate clones and external hard drive.

It’s my fault I was still using v3 it had not given me any issues.

I will mention tho On the positive note I was able to reinstall Catalina 10.15.2 without any issues first attempt again on to NVMe in M2P directly. Lol positive side haha

Bad news is it wiped the main boot drive, my clone backup, and my clone test drive along with 4tb external Plex media drive completely gone... what I don’t understand is how it even had access to do so...

Luckily... there was nothing that isn’t replaceable just more an annoyance to have to rebuild. I would say I feel like home folder on separate drive would be good in this situation but if the script erased everything connected to the computer I’m sure it would have wiped that as well. I think the only thing to avoid something like this would be a time machine backup.
Very sorry to hear that. Since the last reported loss of data, the EFIClone script had been set to Test Mode.

I’d like to better understand the disks in your system and their configuration. Some questions:
  • Are any of the disks partitioned (multiple partitions where you explicitly partitioned the drive)?
  • When we format a drive as GUID Partition Map, an EFI partition is auto created, so that is okay. I’d like to see if any explicit partitions were created.
  • What is the make/model of your 4TB Plex media drive? Is it HFS+ or NTFS or Linux ext4?
  • If you are brave enough to try the script again, please enable TEST_SWITCH in the script. That will cause it to perform a dry-run only and log all changes into the EFIClone.log. I would love to see that log.

Very sorry to hear that. Since the last reported loss of data, the EFIClone script had been set to Test Mode.

I’d like to better understand the disks in your system and their configuration. Some questions:
  • Are any of the disks partitioned (multiple partitions where you explicitly partitioned the drive)?
  • When we format a drive as GUID Partition Map, an EFI partition is auto created, so that is okay. I’d like to see if any explicit partitions were created.
  • What is the make/model of your 4TB Plex media drive? Is it HFS+ or NTFS or Linux ext4?
  • If you are brave enough to try the script again, please enable TEST_SWITCH in the script. That will cause it to perform a dry-run only and log all changes into the EFIClone.log. I would love to see that log.

Def a big bummer, not world ending just annoying lol. All those clones and no time to save them haha.

- None of the disks had multiple partitions. Outside of the standard EFI on the clones.

- The external drive is a WD My Passport 4TB. It was formatted as extended journaled.

- At this point, I don’t mind running the script, I don’t have any data any longer, nothing to lose if it’s already lost haha

To give a better idea of how it was all set I had

Main drive- SSD SATA1
Clone 1- NVMe M2P
Clone 2- Test- NVMe M2M
6TB IronWolf- SATA3
4TB Plex Drive- Type C input on Case

I had 2 scripts saved as separate tasks in CCC. I only have a clean drive installed now. What can I do to assist.

Task 1- Main Drive to Clone 1
Task 2- Clone 1 to Clone 2

Last edited:
Def a big bummer, not world ending just annoying lol. All those clones and no time to save them haha.

- None of the disks had multiple partitions. Outside of the standard EFI on the clones.

- The external drive is a WD My Passport 4TB. It was formatted as extended journaled.

- At this point, I don’t mind running the script, I don’t have any data any longer, nothing to lose if it’s already lost haha

To give a better idea of how it was all set I had

Main drive- SSD SATA1
Clone 1- NVMe M2P
Clone 2- Test- NVMe M2M
6TB IronWolf- SATA3

I had 2 scripts saved as separate tasks in CCC. I only have a clean drive installed now. What can I do to assist.

Task 1- Main Drive to Clone 1
Task 2- Clone 1 to Clone 2
What were the names of the following drives:
  • Main drive- SSD SATA1
  • Clone 1- NVMe M2P
  • Clone 2- Test- NVMe M2M
Did all three drives have unique names? If you run the script again, it would be great to give all drives the same names they had before.

What were the names of the following drives:
  • Main drive- SSD SATA1
  • Clone 1- NVMe M2P
  • Clone 2- Test- NVMe M2M
Did all three drives have unique names? If you run the script again, it would be great to give all drives the same names they had before.

Main drive: macOS - Main
Clone 1: hackintosh- main
Clone 2: hackintosh- Test

I had 2 mains because originally I installed to SSD for main drive and wanted to slowly start to use NVMe for main had not made the switch tho.

Main drive: macOS - Main
Clone 1: hackintosh- main
Clone 2: hackintosh- Test

I had 2 mains because originally I installed to SSD for main drive and wanted to slowly start to use NVMe for main had not made the switch tho.
That might be the problem...each drive should have a different name. Anyway, it would be good to see the EFIClone log using the same three names.

Back