Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@WhosMac had trouble with 10.15.1 as well, if I recall correctly. Did you install 10.15.1 with the same memory modules? While I doubt that memory is at fault, there comes a time when we need to question everything -- WhosMac's experience is rare and befuddling.

Alas Sherlock said it best, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." (P.S. This is also a Holmesian Fallacy.)

Small update. I'm using the original EFI that gave me success. However, some changes...
Bought new USB 3.0 stick created new installer using Clover 5100.
Pulled the Fenvi.
Pulled all excess PSU cables & SATA Cables.
Only thing in is GPU, CPU, 32GB RAM slot 1&3, did CMOS reset, reset BIOS.

I got all the way thru install and both reboots now. When I try welcome GUI, I get error loading kernal cache 0x7. Doesn’t run verbose or CPU halt just doesn’t boot at all.
I'm going to attempt to use diff EFI bare bone like this to see if I get same result. I’ll also stop and grab some diff RAM modules tomorrow to see if I can eliminate that probability.

@CaseySJ know anyway around the kernal cache issue at boot?

@WhosMac had trouble with 10.15.1 as well, if I recall correctly. Did you install 10.15.1 with the same memory modules? While I doubt that memory is at fault, there comes a time when we need to question everything -- WhosMac's experience is rare and befuddling.

Alas Sherlock said it best, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." (P.S. This is also a Holmesian Fallacy.)

Same RAM as 10.15.1 fresh install.

I had some massive issues with 10.15.1 on f7 bios, when I flashed over to f8 everything worked like a charm.

Also worth noting - when I update on my fully working 10.15.1 boot that follows the mini guide, I get two new partitions when trying to update:

macOS Install from Catalina - Data
macOS Install prebooter from preboot

Both result in the end CPU halted error followed by shutdown.

Same RAM as 10.15.1 fresh install.

I had some massive issues with 10.15.1 on f7 bios, when I flashed over to f8 everything worked like a charm.

Also worth noting - when I update on my fully working 10.15.1 boot that follows the mini guide, I get two new partitions when trying to update:

macOS Install from Catalina - Data
macOS Install prebooter from preboot

Both result in the end CPU halted error followed by shutdown.

Update here.

I went back to my working 10.15.1 boot (followed the 10.15.1 mini guide to a T, everything working)

I reverted back to my IGPU config.plist and unplugged my 5700 XT. then I installed the update via the app store and everything worked beautifully. Reinstalled the GPU and went back to the GPU config.plist.

Fully up and running on 10.15.2 with the MSI 5700 XT.

Please let me know if there is any information or files I could post to further help issues.

Thank you Casey, WhosMac, and all of the tonyMac community.

Does this mean Lilu and WhateverGreen were updated in both CLOVER/ACPI/patched and /Library/Extensions prior to start of Catalina upgrade?

It sounds like Lilu and WhateverGreen were not updated prior to start of Catalina upgrade. After copying new versions to /Library/Extensions, we need to rebuild the kernel cache by typing the following in Terminal:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/<name_of_disk_to_be_updated>

This can be done by booting from the backup disk, but please replace <name_of_disk_to_be_updated> with the real volume name. For example: sudo kextcache -i /Volumes/Catalina

Thanks @CaseySJ ,

To confirm: I have installed the latest version of Lilu, WhateverGreen & AppleALC in /Library/Extensions & CLOVER/kexts/Other.

I have now done sudo kextcache -i on the two (!) volumes which the Catalina installer seems to have created, these are named something like "name_of_disk_to_be_updated" and "name_of_disk_to_be_updated - data"

Nothing has changed though, I still get "error loading kernel cache (0xe)" from the "install" boot volume. And I get the black screen from the default boot volume.

Last edited:
Thanks @CaseySJ ,

To confirm: I have installed the latest version of Lilu, WhateverGreen & AppleALC in /Library/Extensions & CLOVER/kexts/Other.

I have now done sudo kextcache -i on the two (!) volumes which the Catalina installer seems to have created, these are named something like "name_of_disk_to_be_updated" and "name_of_disk_to_be_updated - data"

Nothing has changed though, I still get "error loading kernel cache (0xe)" from the "install" boot volume. And I get the black screen from the default boot volume.
@KristoferG

After booting once again with the backup disk, please mount EFI partition of the main macOS SSD and check whether Clover contains OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi or a different memory driver. Try going back to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi temporarily.

@KristoferG

After booting once again with the backup disk, please mount EFI partition of the main macOS SSD and check whether Clover contains OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi or a different memory driver. Try going back to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi temporarily.

Thanks @CaseySJ - I seem to have that one, do I somehow enable it in Clover configurator? Or should I just replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi ?

2019-12-17_1214.png

Thanks @CaseySJ - I seem to have that one, do I somehow enable it in Clover configurator? Or should I just replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi ?

View attachment 440869
is the screen shot from your new Catalina installation or from your Mojave backup? I ask because the driver folder structure in the screen shot is from an older, non-catalina-compatible version of clover. if that is the current Catalina EFI folder in the screen shot, then you need to download latest clover and update clover on your Catalina drive (as well as your Catalina USB boot stick, while you're at it). the upgrade will create a new structure: /clover/drivers/BIOS and /clover/drivers/UEFI. move the drivers from the drivers64UEFI folder into the new /drivers/UEFI folder.

is the screen shot from your new Catalina installation or from your Mojave backup? I ask because the driver folder structure in the screen shot is from an older, non-catalina-compatible version of clover. if that is the current Catalina EFI folder in the screen shot, then you need to download latest clover and update clover on your Catalina drive (as well as your Catalina USB boot stick, while you're at it). the upgrade will create a new structure: /clover/drivers/BIOS and /clover/drivers/UEFI. move the drivers from the drivers64UEFI folder into the new /drivers/UEFI folder.

@faithie999 Yes that is from the Catalina Installation EFI, I had not updated clover since v2.4k r4769. I followed your advice and downloaded and installed "Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4961" from the download menu here. However the file structure did not match your description (see screenshot) and it seems several files were overwritten, I was not able to get into macos on any boot drive as I got the "Couldn't allocate runtime area". 2019-12-17_1444.png

@CaseySJ I am thinking maybe my best bet is to start over again, by cloning back my backup drive via CCC to my main drive. Can you recommend a guide to take me from Mojave 10.14.5 to Catalina macOS 10.15.2 ? I saw this post from you, but it doesn't mention Clover (and perhaps other things I might have missed?) : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-834#post-2013418

If anyone is using Cinema 4D, Maya, or Fusion Studio on Catalina, please let us know if you're experiencing any runaway GPU fans (fans at maximum) or crashes.

I have Cinema 4D, 3d-Coat, and lightwave. I have not had this issue, but I haven't done anything really graphics intensive in a long while. I'm just a hobbyist with graphics.. more of a music guy really..

But if there is something specific you'd like me to test out Id be happy to give it a go.
Are you seeing run-away fans just at app launch?

I have Cinema 4D, 3d-Coat, and lightwave. I have not had this issue, but I haven't done anything really graphics intensive in a long while. I'm just a hobbyist with graphics.. more of a music guy really..

But if there is something specific you'd like me to test out Id be happy to give it a go.
Are you seeing run-away fans just at app launch?
It’s when scenes or composites get kinda kind of heavy. In C4D the last issue was a 10000 unit particle instance I was trying to render.

Back